Knife when running & sweating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
austinguy23

Knife when running & sweating

Post by austinguy23 »

I carry a gun when out but choose not to when jogging (and don't suggest a fanny pack). I'd like to carry a defensive blade in its place but it needs to be impervious (or near it) to rust as I'll be sweating quite a bit and possibly holding it to avoid having it jostle in my thin shorts.

Suggestions?
Donut

Post by Donut »

I jog with a UKPK Drop Point clipped to a pocket or to my waist band. I don't run anything more than 2 miles, so I don't think mine needs to be super rust resistant.

If it HAS to be super rust resistant, I suggest a Dragonfly Salt or Salt 1.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

h1 spyderhawk
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

h1 spyderhawk or a tasman
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

I run every morning. I always take along my Tasman because I know its not going to rust ever and the FRN handles are super light weight and the clip is sturdy enough to keep it in my pocket even when I am doing sprints.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
Boberama

Post by Boberama »

Rust resistant? Salt series, defensive, maybe a Pacific Salt?

As for jostling around, when wearing basketball shorts or similar, I like to keep the knife clipped inside the waistband, or even (seems silly but works well) inside the waistband of my boxers, because it's elastic it holds it nice and tight. Just make sure it doesn't flip open while running. Image
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

H1 Dragonfly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

I walk four miles every time I go and in my back pocket goes the CF Military BG-42.
Jigsaw

Post by Jigsaw »

I would suggest a H1 Tasman or a maybe a Pacific Salt if you prefer a larger blade
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

This is perfect application for the Military because of it's tip down only carry option. I'm not a real big fan of the Military because of this even though I happen to own two of them. When I do carry the Military I carry it either in my back pocket or in the waistband of my pants with my shirt tail rolled over it and angled with the leg joint where it's comfortable in the sitting position. Also there is no better choice in a self defense scenario. I live in the country in a pretty remote area and when I'm outside I'm more concerned about a wild animal or vicious dog than any encounter with humans. In such an encounter you need something that is a quick attention getter and I think with the blade length and tip on the military it would get the attention of something fairly quickly. That's why I recommend a Military clipped inside the waistband of your shorts angled with the bend of the leg or clipped to a belt loop or anywhere it feels most comfortable.
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

H 1 ladybug on key's in left hand . bono (staffordshiere terrier ) in right hand (he"s faster :) )
CubistHamster

Post by CubistHamster »

I carry a Tasman Salt clipped to the inside of my waistband behind my back. It's very comfortable, and seems to be secure (I've been running with it for 2 years without incident.)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Tasman PE.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As already noted, any of the Salt series models would satisfy your requirement for a rust proof knife. SD choices are more personal, one man's ideal would be another's idea of a very poor choice and some will seek a compromise between defensive capability and ease of carry/concealment. The good news in that Spyderco offers a pretty comprehensive array of sizes, blade shapes, edge types, and even a couple fixed blades, so you should be able to find something that will work for you.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I think it may depend on how nasty your sweat is. I run with a Centofante 3 or 4 IWB all the time. They're light, thin, have a smooth texture against my skin, and have nice points for digging out splinters and thorns. I've never had any rust, but I have heard about people who do have problems with VG-10 and sweat. Occasionally I'll take my Swick, which is S30V, and I have had a few rust spots on it.

Gordon
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I carry a dragonfly salt when I run/bike clipped to my shorts in the middle of my back. I have done the same with a salt 1 with no problems either, just heavier.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Anything in H1 should do it from the Salt1 an up in size. No rust. The edge retention is good but not the best so if you get into a fight and need to cut a person up for a long time I suggest you also carry a Spyderco doublestuff for a quick touch up. :)

Jack
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd go with the PE Tasman also. Keep it sharp.

- best wishes, Jazz.
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

I have serrated H1 Spyderhawk and think for defense it (or a Tasman salt or other serrated H1 blade) would be great.Looks scary which is a help and with factory edge it will cut thru plastic,rope and cardboar easily.I can imagine what it would do to an arm or some other body part-OUCH.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I carried a Tasman Salt on my bike over the past couple of years. Now I will be switching to a Matriarch that I just bought. I would think that the VG-10 would hold up ok if I keep it clean after rides.