Filip de Leeuw Collab Friction Folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Filip de Leeuw Collab Friction Folder

Post by 1623 »

This little beauty seems to have gotten swept up and lost in the mass of new models covered at the Amsterdam meet.

Not seeing much chatter about it on the forums has me wondering; is it not appealing due to its non locking design, or has it simply been forgotten about?

*Images courtesy of Chibbi via British Blades

-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

For me, this blade does not set my heart on fire longing to hold it in my hands but I am sure that I am in the minority.

Anyone know the background of this blade? Please share. Also note that I did not like the Caly 3.5 either when I saw it first.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
RLR

Post by RLR »

[ATTACH]20136[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20137[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20138[/ATTACH]I have one from Deviant Blades - it is a fun knife. I just don't carry it that much. Would need some kind of sheath or something as there is no detente.
RLR

Post by RLR »

I have one from Deviant Blades - it is a fun knife. I just don't carry it that much. Would need some kind of sheath or something as there is no detente.

Post by 1623 »

KardinalSyn wrote:For me, this blade does not set my heart on fire longing to hold it in my hands but I am sure that I am in the minority.

Anyone know the background of this blade? Please share. Also note that I did not like the Caly 3.5 either when I saw it first.
If the mods don't mind, here's a link to Deviant Blades for a little background:

http://www.deviantblades.com/index.php/friction-folders
-Jodi

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that it is a remarkably good looking knife when open. Closed it seems to be a definite pocketful, but when released (and I hope that it makes it that far!) I will be giving it a try to see how I like it for EDC. And I think that if it looks as good as the proto (and they don't mess about with it like they did with the Techno) then I will get one at least for the coolness factor.
On the hunt for...
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

1623 wrote:If the mods don't mind, here's a link to Deviant Blades for a little background:

http://www.deviantblades.com/index.php/friction-folders
Thank you 1623 for the link. Now I understand better about the concept.

I shall be watching the developments on this knife more closely now. There are certain advantages with such a knife.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I handled the knife at OKCA and like it, but not as a slippie.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Though the knife certainly is beautiful, I just don't care for friction folders. Will there be a locking version of that knife? Hope so....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not something I'd care to carry, but given the way the world-wide legal situation regarding knives continues to deteriorate, I can see there being a market for SlipIts, slip joints, and other non-locking folders.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I like the Deviant Friction folder a lot, I have carbon fibre RWL-34 version and it a sweet EDC knife, specially for people living in countries with strict knife laws (UK, Danmark, etc) The Spyderco version will have a little pouch to store it in. Some pics

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'm more interested in his ti framelocks since Norwegian law doesn't differentiate between locking and non-locking folders.

http://www.deviantblades.com/index.php/folders/chinese
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It looks pretty cool, but not something I'd put at the top of my list.

Also, I'm totally unfamiliar with this kind of knife. What is the purpose of the big nub sticking out when closed? How could that not just get in the way?
:bug-red-white
jossta

Post by jossta »

When it's open it gives your hand something to lock it in place while it's open. Sometimes there's also a hole in it so you can put a screw/pin in to convert it to a fixed blade when open.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

jossta wrote:When it's open it gives your hand something to lock it in place while it's open. Sometimes there's also a hole in it so you can put a screw/pin in to convert it to a fixed blade when open.
Thank you for describing that. I was wondering the same thing and at first thought it was some kind of big, long flipper.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
jossta

Post by jossta »

It can also help for opening but since they have a hole, not really necessary. I like this design and have always wanted one. I would have to get a custom Elephant leather sheath from Filip though :cool: . This was actually the first friction folder I ever saw a couple years ago even though it's an old design. Believe me I spent some time watching videos to figure out wtf that thing was, lol.

I also like the blade shape on the custom a little more.

Glad to see Filip gaining some popularity. He makes some awesome knives.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have a friction folder made by Citadel in Cambodia that I really enjoy. It has Buffalo horn handle and you can see the temper line on the carbon steel blade. I saw a story on it in Blade magazine that said it was one of the best kept secrets in the world and also one of the best buys in a knife.
Heespharm

Post by Heespharm »

I own this knife in orange g10... Very solid.. Great steel... Apparently it was inspired by the bob lum folders... One of my favs but yes needs a pouch for sure

Post by 1623 »

IG-88: your Carbon Fiber model is gorgeous and the red back spacer is a nice touch.
-Jodi

psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Friction folders have never held my interest at all.