Root Canal

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
c.joe

Root Canal

Post by c.joe »

Had to do a root canal today.. first big procedure since my wisdom teeth. Letting it heal today, going back next week to do a filling, then a permanent crown.

I thought I was taking good care of my teeth by flossing and brushing with the occasional mouthwash. The biggest mistake I made was not getting my bi-annual check ups. This lead to a small minor bacteria/cavity build up in my back tooth and lead to decay that isn't even visible to the eye.

Anyone have any experience with root canals? Are they troublesome with a permanent crown?

To everyone else, get your teeth checked twice a year!
hawaiihunter

Post by hawaiihunter »

Well I guess you can't cut steaks with your knife anymore, your now on a baby food diet
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I have had two rootcanals and they weren't as bad as everyone says they are. Once you have the crown put in it will take a few days for it to feel right in your mouth. Then you wont even notice it. You can eat anything besides things that would pull the crown off like caramel, taffy, starburst, and tootsie rolls.
You wont have to worry about the tooth hurting you because there arent any nerves in it anymore.
Good luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JD Spydo

I've been there, done that mulitple times

Post by JD Spydo »

My teeth have been on the "disaster list" for some time now and I've had 6 root canals all together over the years. Normally I get a script of pain killers and use them for a day or 2 then I'm usually good to go. I've never had any bad luck with crowns or any other work they've done on me.

Me and my mother both had genetically bad teeth and required massive amounts of dental work over the years. But I've had so much extensive dental work done over the years it doesn't bother me at all anymore. I always ask for the "laughing gas" ( Nitrous Oxide) and a few pain killers for the discomfort I know I'm going to have for the following 2 to 3 days and to me it's no more a problem than a cut finger or a banged up knee.

But that laughing gas has been a life saver to me on more than one occasion. Also I've found the prescription strength Ibuprofens to be good too if you don't like to take the other pain pills. Also you might check into the "Oragel" product line. I've used a few of their products and they've been quite helpful.

PM me if you have any further problems if I can be of any help to you Brother because I've had about any dental procedure in the text books. and they have come a long way in the field of dentistry and there is a lot of "over the counter" stuff you can get at Walgreens, CVS, Eckerds or any of the other big pharmacy chains. Good Luck
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

I had a root canal when I was like 8 or 9 but I didnt have to have a crown put in, and it took like a year for the tooth to come down... I had surgery a month ago because another tooth wouldn't come down, so I had a chain put in which sucks :(
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Thanks for the replies guys. Glad to know it won't bother me too badly.. Hopefully I won't forget when I go chomping on a nice juicy steak.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Ouch, c.joe. :( Not fun, I'm sure. Hope you heal quickly.
Although I've never had to have a root canal (thank God), I have had some issues with my wisdom teeth (cavities in two of the four). My dentist has been after me for the past four years to get all four wisdome teeth removed, but up until last year, I didn't have INS for dental coverage. So, I suppose I've been procrastinating about getting this done. :o I mean, they don't hurt too bad (yet). I suppose I could wait until summer to get this done... :rolleyes:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
BAL

Post by BAL »

Gunslinger wrote:I have had two rootcanals and they weren't as bad as everyone says they are. Once you have the crown put in it will take a few days for it to feel right in your mouth. Then you wont even notice it. You can eat anything besides things that would pull the crown off like caramel, taffy, starburst, and tootsie rolls.
You wont have to worry about the tooth hurting you because there arent any nerves in it anymore.
Good luck.
+1, I have had a few and the thought is worse than the event.
At first the crown will bother teh heck out of you, but after a few
days you don't even notice it.
fret

Post by fret »

I had a root canal on my upper front tooth. Took two and a half hours in the chair and several shots of novacaine. The bone had to be removed also. Still it was not that bad if you enjoy pain...which the dentist did...The worst proceedure I had was a crown and bridge installed by a butcher/dentist. He said he was a dentist tho. I had to go to another dentist to get the crown and bridge somewhat repaired. It is non functioning. Cannot chew with it. The dentist I last went to said I need to get a new crown and bridge installed. I am waiting for awhile tho.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

It is said by some in the dental field with experience that rather than having a root canal done, which basically kills the nerves in your tooth (meaning now a dead tooth) it is better to have the tooth removed, I had 18 root canals, and spent many years in pain due to a family history of bad teeth....many infections, internal organs and related issues and symptoms can be traced to tooth problems....I had all mine removed....and wear dentures....not like having real teeth kinda, but never any pain or sickness due to teeth problems....I'm happy with the decision....The nice thing about it, is If I need dental work done, I just drop my teeth off in the morning and the dentist will have my teeth ready for pick up in the afternoon. Now that's what I call Painless Dentistry.......Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

I have had 3 root canals. It’s not all that bad of a procedure if you have a good dentist. However, one of them developed a problem after about 20 years, and I had to have it pulled earlier this month. That was no fun at all. A root canal is more pleasant of a procedure. However, he did let me keep the gold crown. Pictured below for your viewing pleasure. :D

Gary
Will Fly for Food
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Thanks for sharing your stories; you guys are awesome haha.

Had my 2nd stage done today and crowning will be next week. I have never fallen asleep at the dentist before during a procedure.. awesome dentist who really knows what he's doing. Sore as heck right now though..
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:It is said by some in the dental field with experience that rather than having a root canal done, which basically kills the nerves in your tooth (meaning now a dead tooth) it is better to have the tooth removed, I had 18 root canals, and spent many years in pain due to a family history of bad teeth....many infections, internal organs and related issues and symptoms can be traced to tooth problems....I had all mine removed....and wear dentures....not like having real teeth kinda, but never any pain or sickness due to teeth problems....I'm happy with the decision....The nice thing about it, is If I need dental work done, I just drop my teeth off in the morning and the dentist will have my teeth ready for pick up in the afternoon. Now that's what I call Painless Dentistry.......Doc :)
Same story here. After thousands of dollars and much pain, I had them all yanked. What the dentists don't tell you, is that once you have a cavity patched, you will have to have it maintained for the rest of your life. Anyway, I am very happy with full dentures and no pain.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser