Delica, what's your preferred grind?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clip

Delica, what's your preferred grind?

Post by Clip »

Hey guys, looking to add a ZDP Delica to my little collection. I've found two, the SC11PGRE (sabre grind, I think) and the C11PGRE (FFG).

Wondered what grind you guys preferred, and what you found the advantages and disadvantages were. I've found some info but wanted to get the opinions of actual users, plus it seems like the Delica is definitely a knife with a good reputation around here :) .

Thanks!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My chores are pretty light. The FFG has a thinner tip and overall a thinner behind-the-edge profile than the flat-saber, half-flat or whatever you want to call the normal FRN grind. More rugged folks might prefer the less dainty grind (expecially in the tip).

I suspect the hollow-grind of the stainless model would be a nice mix but don't prefer SS knives.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

I've had a ZDP-189 FFG Delica for about six months. It's an incredibly good slicer. I don't have a saber grind version for comparison but I can't possibly imagine it would cut any better than the FFG version. I don't use the knife hard; I only open envelopes and cut up boxes with it. During this time I've only stropped it regularly on some newspaper to keep it sharp. The only "con" I can think of is that the blade tip on the FFG won't be as strong if you were going to be really hard on it (prying, stabbing). Good luck w/ your purchase!
maa14

Post by maa14 »

My personal favorite is the FFG which still seems to be pretty sturdy but slices very well. like Blerv said though the normal half flat grind will be a bit tougher but wont slice as good. My ZDP delica is FFG and it seems perfect for the tasks that I use it for(cardboard, some food prep, opening packages, etc.)

And there is a reason for the delica's great reputation :cool:

Edit: Also ZDP is some awsome stuff just keep it touched up and dont let it get dull or it can be a pain to sharpen :)
Fishstalker

Post by Fishstalker »

I searched and searched last year and finally found a FFG Delica ZDP. I'm glad I did. ZDP-189 is Amazing.
:spyder:
Delica SE G-2
Ladybug
Tenacious
Centofante III
Centofante IV
Pacific Salt PE
Endura 4 PS
Delica ZDP-189 FFG
Para-Military 2 digi-camo
Para-Military 2 black
Pacific Salt SE
USN Catcherman
Sage 1
:spyder:
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I had a Saber Grind ZDP Delica and found it to be too thick behind the edge, Once I had to reprofile it, I had to take a lot of steel off to get the angle I wanted, I definitely say go with the FFG.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I had both and prefer the FFG model, it is just a great slicer. The only reason for me to have the Saber grind one is if I plan or think I will pry something with it, which I never did.

Go with the FFG one, you wont be sorry!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I have a SE ZDP-189 & a FFG PE Delica. I find myself grabbing the SE ZDP-189 Delica more. I use my Delica as a beater knife & the FFG, while an incredible slicer, has a very thin tip that would worry me.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I just got a FFG ZDPP189 Delica to replace my trusty saberground ZDP189 Delica. For a steel like ZDP189 I prefer a nice thin edge and blade.The ZDP performs really well, so I can give it a thin edge that holds. The sabergrind was sometimes -especially for ZDP189- disappointing as it gives more drag when cutting.

For a 'beater' knife I'd suggest a sabergrind, maybe even VG-10 rather than ZDP189.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've had both and for my needs the FFG is much better. Actually for my needs I don't like the saber grind at all. Give me the FFG or hollow grind all day long. FFG is more a more consistant grind but the hollow is thinner behind the edge sometimes. Then it gets thicker towards the spine. This makes a hollow grind really great for slicing thin material IMO. Unless I'm chopping or something I don't care for the saber grind and I won't be doing serious chopping with an EDC knife. I have done some light chopping with my Manix2 FFG and am happy to say it did great.

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I agree that FFG with ZDP-189 is much better - and I buy most of my ZDP blades in this configuration. However, I have a soft spot in my heart for the sabre-ground green Delica. I carry it with me when I go camping - it is one of my "around camp" knives. It keeps a great edge the entire week and I feel it has a bit more heft for outdoors tasks. :cool: I also take along (at minimum) one of my Para2s, a Mule, and a Salt.

FFG or Saber - you really can't go wrong...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Donut

Post by Donut »

I prefer FFG, but I do light duty cutting.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Different grinds, different characteristics, different uses and advantages to each.

When I bought my last Delica I opted for the CE SG to compliment the FFG model. VG-10 takes a really sweet edge :D
Attachments
2 delicas.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Clip

Post by Clip »

dbcad wrote:VG-10 takes a really sweet edge :D
NOW you've got me thinking I need a VG-10 AND a ZDP. Oh well, guess it was inevitable.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Go for the FFG ZDP. If you want a good slicer that stays sharp, that's it.

I carry a ZDP Stretch 2 and love it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I haven't had a ffg delica yet. I have stuck to saber grind because it's a stronger knife.
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
thofmann

Post by thofmann »

Considering the fact that I will never find myself hacking through the jungle, batoning through trees, or prying open car doors with one of my Delicas, I prefer the FFG. It slices better for me. Now, if I had abusive tendencies, which I don't, it does "seem" like my Sabre Grind VG-10 Delica would endure a little more hard use than my FFG ZDP-189 Delica.

Thomas
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't own a FFG Delica, but i suspect i would like its performance more than the saber grind that i have. But, i do like the way a saber grind looks...it just has more character. I also like the strong tip. I'd love to see the FFG without a distal taper.

If you have a saber and wanna play around with it, you can do a super low back bevel like i did, which helps slicing quite a bit (at least until you hit the flat part of the grind).

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

If I were afraid of breaking the tip off while doing something like prying, then I would go with a Saber grind but seeing I dont use a Delica for prying, I will stay with the FFG models. Unfortuneately, I really like the PM2's better so these are just sitting in a drawer awaiting new owners! :)

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sir_mike wrote:If I were afraid of breaking the tip off while doing something like prying, then I would go with a Saber grind but seeing I dont use a Delica for prying, I will stay with the FFG models. Unfortuneately, I really like the PM2's better so these are just sitting in a drawer awaiting new owners! :)
It's really not about prying. Most of the broken tips i've read about are from accidental droppings where the tip breaks on impact.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David