Lo-Rider clip on Dodo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phillipsted

Lo-Rider clip on Dodo

Post by phillipsted »

I was fiddling around last night and decided to swap out the clip on the new orange Dodo for a lo-rider. I had an extra wire clip from my Ti UKPK, which I carry sans clip.

Interesting results. I'll have to get another shot later of the knife in my pocket. All you can see is the clip and a little orange "jelly bean" sticking out of the pocket. Not threatening at all - it doesn't even look like a knife, to be honest.

The fit was another matter. The original clip is *really* embedded into the grooves on the scale. Very tight. Once I got it removed, getting the lo-rider clip in place took a lot of trial and error (plus a leatherman to help gently push it into the grooves. I had to remove and bend the clip a couple of times to get it adjusted - and as you might be able to see in the photos, it isn't seated very well yet, although it clips nicely to the pocket. I'll try it again later...

TedP

Clip

Post by Clip »

I'd seen those clips and wondered if it could be done. Thanks for the pics!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
syphen

Post by syphen »

My black and blue dodo's both have the lower riding clips from UKPK's.. I prefer the carry a lot more that way. Don't have any more spare UKPK clips to swap out my orange's clip at this time though.
Too many Spydies to list!
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

I tried to swap the clip on my orange sprint dodo with 2 different low ride clips. It gave me a **** of a time. I ended up putting the original clip back on.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Nice mod. To my eye, it looks better and I am interested in trying it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Very cool. A definite mod for me :) .
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I saw someone do this and decided to try myself. I ended up swapping with my Sage 3, but the Dodo slots required a little modification to make it work. I used part of phillipsted's picture to illustrate the problem area. It was just a matter of scrapping away a little G-10 to make the ends fit all the way down in the slots.

C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Benny90

Post by Benny90 »

Nice, I was thinking of that exact same thing when looking at the similarities between the lo-ride and regular wire clip. Good to see it actually 'works'. Just need a tiny bit of adjustment and your there. Maybe a little filing around the clip base and it should fit like a glove.

Speaking of lo-ride clips, I was thinking about getting one for my PM2. However, like the clip on the Delica, it actually allows something to grip onto when opening and closing the blade. For that reason I think I might have to stick with the stock clips.

Eidt: Just saw you got it fitting nicely, good job!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Benny90 wrote:
Speaking of lo-ride clips, I was thinking about getting one for my PM2.
Kind of a kludge, but it works very nicely.....

Ken
玉鋼
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I did the same mod to mine and love it :)
Vic
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I had STR make me a couple of titanium lo-rider clips last year - one for my FRN Stretch and another for my EDC Para2. Both have worked out great. They cut the profile of the knife down substantially and make them easier to take out on the town. The only disadvantage is that you have to reach a bit deeper in your pocket to grasp the knife... Overall, STR is great to deal with and very helpful in making the right clip for the job.

TedP

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I keep telling myself "you need to order some of those STR titanium clips" One of these days I will get off my butt & do it.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

i did the same and it gave me a **** of a time as well, i was able to bend it and make it work after a few times. Im happy with the results. One of My black dodos has a low ride clip as well
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

kbuzbee wrote:Kind of a kludge, but it works very nicely.....

Ken
What is holding that clip in place?
Benny90

Post by Benny90 »

^ Looks like the base to the old clip that he modified a bit. Definitely a pretty cool and resourceful mod :cool:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Benny90 wrote:^ Looks like the base to the old clip that he modified a bit. Definitely a pretty cool and resourceful mod :cool:
Thanks Brother! Exactly that. I Dremelled a couple channels under it to fit the wire then screwed the base over the top for retention. If I were harder on my knives (in carry, not use ;) ) I might have put a bit of CA in the channels before reassembly. I've done this to several knives now. GB, the Bob T in my sig, a Phoenix, the D2 Para... I really prefer the lower ride wire to every other clip out there (though the STR mod is very nice!)

The most difficult part is generally cutting the channels around the screw holes ;) Not much room to work there, and my eyes aren't what they once were....

Cheers,

Ken
玉鋼
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

kbuzbee wrote:Thanks Brother! Exactly that. I Dremelled a couple channels under it to fit the wire then screwed the base over the top for retention. If I were harder on my knives (in carry, not use ;) ) I might have put a bit of CA in the channels before reassembly. I've done this to several knives now. GB, the Bob T in my sig, a Phoenix, the D2 Para... I really prefer the lower ride wire to every other clip out there (though the STR mod is very nice!)

The most difficult part is generally cutting the channels around the screw holes ;) Not much room to work there, and my eyes aren't what they once were....

Cheers,

Ken
Innovation, intelligence, incentive leads to something nice quite often. Good work! Sonny
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Sonny wrote:Innovation, intelligence, incentive leads to something nice quite often. Good work! Sonny
Thanks Sonny, I've been very happy with the results.

Ken
玉鋼