New JD Smith

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tr4022

New JD Smith

Post by tr4022 »

The mailman just delivered my new JD Smith.

Stabby, sharp, carries incredibly well in pocket despite substantial feel in hand, unobtrusive pocket clip, no boye dent in back lock for all you haters out there.

A little stiff to deploy, but we'll work that out.

Niiiiice.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Nice knife! I like the thin, pointy blade. I also really like the finish on the pocket clip. I wonder why more clips don't have that nice matte finish?
:bug-red-white
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Uh-oh, already drew blood. Like I said, stabby.

Tod
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Congrats on your new JDSmith. It's another one of those models where its utility is overlooked until you actually have it in hand and put it to use. It's a great companion to a wide leaf blade knife, and together made a nice set for food prep among other things.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Mako109 wrote:Congrats on your new JDSmith. It's another one of those models where its utility is overlooked until you actually have it in hand and put it to use. It's a great companion to a wide leaf blade knife, and together made a nice set for food prep among other things.
Yeah, you know, I just got this in the mail, but I can't believer people don't talk about this model more. I think I'm more pleased with this than any other Spydie I've purchased.

tmr

Post by 1623 »

No doubt she's a beauty that one, in both form and function.

Enjoy!
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

I just received a J.D. Smith this week also, and I love the blade shape and how the handle fits in your hand. I have to agree with gbelleh - I wish the matte finish pocket clip was available on more knives. I think that it would work well on a Para2 or a Manix2.
One other thing, related to the previous post about BNIB Spydercos, my box came sealed with tape-like tabs. This is the first Spyderco that I have ever bought that came sealed in the box. Is this common to this knife? I bough this online from Cabela's - is this something they do with all knives, not just Spydercos? What do you guys think? :confused:
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

gac

Post by gac »

The Smith is my favorite knife. I still worry about screwing up that fantastic tip when I sharpen it.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Wildernest Survivor wrote:I just received a J.D. Smith this week also, and I love the blade shape and how the handle fits in your hand. I have to agree with gbelleh - I wish the matte finish pocket clip was available on more knives. I think that it would work well on a Para2 or a Manix2.
One other thing, related to the previous post about BNIB Spydercos, my box came sealed with tape-like tabs. This is the first Spyderco that I have ever bought that came sealed in the box. Is this common to this knife? I bough this online from Cabela's - is this something they do with all knives, not just Spydercos? What do you guys think? :confused:
I got mine from Cabela's, too, and noticed the same thing. I was wondering what the deal was, too.

Tod
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

I have one of the early models. I have always considered the JD to be a very elegant knife. It feels right at home in a suit, on those rare occasions when I have to wear one.
EarthDog

Post by 1623 »

Wildernest Survivor wrote:One other thing, related to the previous post about BNIB Spydercos, my box came sealed with tape-like tabs. This is the first Spyderco that I have ever bought that came sealed in the box. Is this common to this knife? I bough this online from Cabela's - is this something they do with all knives, not just Spydercos? What do you guys think? :confused:
tr4022 wrote:I got mine from Cabela's, too, and noticed the same thing. I was wondering what the deal was, too.

Tod
Mine was sealed that way as well and I'm pretty sure that it's Cabela's doing, not Spydercos.

I can't say whether or not they do that with all knives since the JD Smith is the only item I've ever purchased from them, but my guess would be that they do this to keep knives from sliding out of boxes when they're handled in the warehouse.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
JD Spydo

JD Smith: Top 10 Spyder of all time

Post by JD Spydo »

I had my first JD Smith back in the ATS-34 era. The JD Smith model has been on my top 10 Spyder list for many years now. It's as though they took the Buck model 110 and made it much, much better.

It's a splendid design that you can do just about any cutting chore with. The older Spyderedged version is getting really tough to find and I wish I hadn't traded mine away. It was just about as good as the Spyderedged Military model.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!