too many knives for an office workers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iyn

too many knives for an office workers?

Post by iyn »

I work indoors in an office. I carry a Stretch 2, Dragonfly, Swiss Army Classic SD on my key chain, and a the old plier version of the Leatherman Squirt on my office keys. One day I realized I'm carrying 4 blades. 17 years ago I just carried the Delica 3 in combo edge to work and the Endura combo edge hiking. What happening to me! Is there such a thing as too many blades for an office worker?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

iyn wrote:I work indoors in an office. I carry a Stretch 2, Dragonfly, Swiss Army Classic SD on my key chain, and a the old plier version of the Leatherman Squirt on my office keys. One day I realized I'm carrying 4 blades. 17 years ago I just carried the Delica 3 in combo edge to work and the Endura combo edge hiking. What happening to me! Is there such a thing as too many blades for an office worker?
You should ask doc snubnose. :)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

It's commonly referred to as the dreaded Spydie bite :D And no, unless someone complains or there are rules regarding the carrying of tools in your office, have at it. :) I personally wouldn't walk around with bulging pockets or clips hanging out of every pocket but hey, to each his own :rolleyes: I always carry one or two at work.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Lemme list mine. ZT 200(RFP), Some version of para 2(LFP), Rough Rider half whittler in my fanny pack(2 blades), Honey Bee with house keys, SAK with micro truck keys(2 blades).
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

iyn wrote:I work indoors in an office. I carry a Stretch 2, Dragonfly, Swiss Army Classic SD on my key chain, and a the old plier version of the Leatherman Squirt on my office keys. One day I realized I'm carrying 4 blades. 17 years ago I just carried the Delica 3 in combo edge to work and the Endura combo edge hiking. What happening to me! Is there such a thing as too many blades for an office worker?
Of course there is such a thing as too many knives for an office worker. I think 47 knives is too many. :) Seriously, you need a small knife for envelopes and a larger knife for um... LARGER envelopes. :D

I agree with Tdog, carry what you like as long as it doesn't get you fired. You may be the hero when someone needs more than an envelope opened.

Jack
dschur

Post by dschur »

My typical office configuration (in dress clothes):
- Military or 3.5 inch in front right pocket with STR deep carry clip
- LM Squirt on keychain
- Street Beat in briefcase
- LM Juice in briefcase
- Kiwi in desk drawer

So obviously 5 is the perfect amount, and 6 is far too many :)
My current Spydercos: Military CF S90V, (2) Military CF M390, Navaja CF S30V, Superleaf CF VG-10, Manix 2 CF CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CF S90V, Paramilitary 2 CF S90V, Stretch 2 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1 CF S30V, Lum Chinese CF VG-10, Caly 3 CF ZDP-189, Chaparral CF S30V, Kiwi CF VG-10, Chicago CF S30V, Cat CF S30V, Schempp Rock VG-10, Temperance 2 VG-10 :spyder:
dschur

Post by dschur »

dschur wrote: So obviously 5 is the perfect amount, and 6 is far too many :)
Oops, forgot my Alan Folts custom Minimalist that sometimes comes along under my shirt. So it is now clear that up to 6 is completely normal, but 7 is certifiably insane. :rolleyes:
My current Spydercos: Military CF S90V, (2) Military CF M390, Navaja CF S30V, Superleaf CF VG-10, Manix 2 CF CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CF S90V, Paramilitary 2 CF S90V, Stretch 2 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1 CF S30V, Lum Chinese CF VG-10, Caly 3 CF ZDP-189, Chaparral CF S30V, Kiwi CF VG-10, Chicago CF S30V, Cat CF S30V, Schempp Rock VG-10, Temperance 2 VG-10 :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dschur wrote:Oops, forgot my Alan Folts custom Minimalist that sometimes comes along under my shirt. So it is now clear that up to 6 is completely normal, but 7 is certifiably insane. :rolleyes:
Hehehehe.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Was a computer programmer for NYS until I retired. Carried a Jester on my keyring, a Kiwi in my watch pocket, and a larger Spyderco, usually a Stretch or Schemmp Persian in my back pocket and had a Swisscard and a Stanley Wonder Bar in my shoulder bag. Not to mention a 1st Gen Native and Schrade multitool in my desk drawer. :o
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

It's rare for me to have less than 8 knives on me at any given work day. That does not count the contents of my commuting vehicle. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

It's important to have at least 2: one knife that's not going to scare anybody, and one that is.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Another programmer here...

Normally carry a PM2 (or GB) RFP, SAK Explorer LFP, and a SAK Rambler with AAA light in my watch pocket. So thats 4 blades, way below the certifiably insane level :) Phew!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

Many times I find myself with two or three. One smaller blade for well smaller tasks and use in open public where you don't want to draw attention. I then carry a larger one say a Para II for a bigger task. Finally a third option maybe a real abuser that I don't care as much about. This is the one for those instances at work when someone goes can I use a knife. Then I don't have to say "what for" cause if something happens to it, it's not the end of the world.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Any time I leave the house... I have some sort of primary knife in my front right pocket... in my left rear I have my beater/backup/loaner knife. Then another knife on my keychain... and if I choose to carry a multi-tool, there's another.

I also carry at least two flashlights... sometimes three :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Donut

Post by Donut »

I work in a pretty relaxed office. I always have two clipped to pockets, one is a money clip, one on my keys (don't always carry my keys), I have a few backups in a drawer, and I've had the jester sprint sitting infront of my monitor for a few weeks now.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Fortunately, the maximum blade length isn't the *sum* of the length of all of your blades. I'd be in trouble for sure. I routinely carry at least 5, sometimes many more.

I just wish I could find some good dress pants that had more pockets for knives (I can only wear jeans on Fridays at work :( ).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
angusW

Post by angusW »

Yojimbo 2 hanging inside the LF pocket.
Orange Dodo hanging inside the LB pocket.
Boker Gnome hanging from the neck.
Bark River Micro Canadian in the front left pocket.
Jester in the watch pocket.

This is my day off so I'm carrying light today :)
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Most times I just carry my Caly 3.5 SB. It's big enough, but doesn't seem to upset anyone at work by looking scary.

If I carry something else, it is normally a dragonfly in the front pocket and something larger in my back pocket.
Art_vandeley

Post by Art_vandeley »

I don`t work in an office, but some days I just carry my Case Peanut CV. I don`t acutally cut something every day, so why carry something large and heavy?
Benny90

Post by Benny90 »

I carry just 2 knives, crazy I know :p I have my Ladybug on my keys that are always on my person, for easy tasks and tasks around sheeple. Then I have my blacked out PM2 for any others. And since others are mentioning lights, I have a Streamlight Nanolight on my keys as well.