PM2 or GB for EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Random Dan

PM2 or GB for EDC?

Post by Random Dan »

I've been planning on buying a PM2 for some time now but just started looking at the GB, and I like what I'm seeing :D Right now the only "nice" knives I have are a SAK and a ZT0350, both of which I EDC. I'm looking for a knife to rotate with my ZT, and I can't decide which one I want. Here are the advantages to each as I see them right now, but I'm open to other opinions.

Gayle Bradley:
Superior edge retention
Pocket clip
Better looking
More sturdy design
Carbon fiber scales, rather than another tactical looking G10 knife

Paramilitary 2:
$25ish cheaper (once they start being restocked)
Very smooth/loose opening
Slightly better ergonomics (I've handled both)
Compression lock
Better corrosion resistance
Made in good ole America

So imagining that you just have a SAK and a ZT0350, which would you buy first, and why?
Thanks for the help!
Kousii

Para2

Post by Kousii »

Random Dan wrote:I've been planning on buying a PM2 for some time now but just started looking at the GB, and I like what I'm seeing :D Right now the only "nice" knives I have are a SAK and a ZT0350, both of which I EDC. I'm looking for a knife to rotate with my ZT, and I can't decide which one I want. Here are the advantages to each as I see them right now, but I'm open to other opinions.

Gayle Bradley:
Superior edge retention
Pocket clip
Better looking
More sturdy design
Carbon fiber scales, rather than another tactical looking G10 knife

Paramilitary 2:
$25ish cheaper (once they start being restocked)
Very smooth/loose opening
Slightly better ergonomics (I've handled both)
Compression lock
Better corrosion resistance
Made in good ole America

So imagining that you just have a SAK and a ZT0350, which would you buy first, and why?
Thanks for the help!
I was having the exact same problem as you. I went with the paramilitary 2 though for a couple reasons. The Gayle Bradley will start to get dirty and for a patina. I am pretty OCD when it comes to my blades. I love the look of both knives but that was the deciding factor. The Gayle Bradley is also labeled as a hard use folder and you have a ZT0350 which is a very hard use folder. Another reason I went with the Para2 is because you can get the brown s35v one for 135 and 8 dollars shipping at knifeworks. Its a good deal. the blade steel is not much different from s30v but if you like brown G10, its awesome. It really boils down to what you want though.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

If you are talking about the S30V PM2, I would go for the GB - better materials all around, and better bang for your buck.

But in general I slightly prefer the PM2, because its thin, light, and I like the design and blade shape slightly more for EDC.

Both are awesome :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Sht

Post by Sht »

As good as the PM2 is the GB & Millie get all my pocket time. Just don't have the room for that type of knife anymore.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This really comes down to preference. Both are great.

I prefer the Para 2, even in S30V. The ergos, lock and corrosion resistance more than make up for slightly better edge retention, IMO.
:bug-red-white
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

I would be buying the S30V PM2. My logical side tells me to go with the PM2, but I love the super solid feel of the GB.
Benny90

Post by Benny90 »

I really like the GB as well as the PM2. Basically what it came down to for me is weight, the PM2 is definitely quite a bit lighter. If weight is not an issue it basically comes down to which one you think looks the best as they are both excellent knifes. Also, I really like the compression lock on the PM2.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Brock O Lee wrote:If you are talking about the S30V PM2, I would go for the GB - better materials all around, and better bang for your buck.

But in general I slightly prefer the PM2, because its thin, light, and I like the design and blade shape slightly more for EDC.

Both are awesome :)
This is exactly how I feel too. The GB is better than the S30V Para 2, but if you were talking about one of the sprints then I would have to re-think it.
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

Benny90 wrote:I really like the GB as well as the PM2. Basically what it came down to for me is weight, the PM2 is definitely quite a bit lighter. If weight is not an issue it basically comes down to which one you think looks the best as they are both excellent knifes. Also, I really like the compression lock on the PM2.
Weight is not an issue.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

For me, GB hands down. I have several PMs and PM2s but I actually carry the GB. I LOVE the patina it forms and the edge is beyond compare. Super smooth. Ubër strong. Gets my vote.

Ken
玉鋼
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

GB here too...I own a S90V and 20CP and M390 Para2...and the GB just is better than all of them.
M4 has better edge retention and higher toughness than S30V...the GB looks better and IMO is far more comfortable to use.
The only thing that that Para2 has over the GB is a sharper tip.

That being said...given that you will also be carrying the ZT...a Para2 is probably fills the gap between the ZT and SAK better despite the fact that between the 2 is is the inferior knife.
On the hunt for...
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

:D If they made a CPM M4 Para 2, I would say Para. They don't, so GB all the way, even though it's a bit big and heavy. The "package" is just a winner.
I haven't gotten a Para 2 (have a para 1), just pretty much tired with
S30V and the specials are Elusive, but i would jump on a Para M4. ;)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

gull wing wrote:but i would jump on a Para M4. ;)
As would I. Would it displace my GB? Dunno. But I'm willing to try.

Ken
玉鋼
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

For me and the conditions that I am in sometimes, I would not want a non-stainless steel on my EDC. That could be a factor but it really depends on what EDC involves for you.

Also for me, I wouldn't want to carry a knife as heavy as the Gayle Bradley ever day all the time. Opinions will vary greatly on that one. In the end, you need both... ;)
TheApostleP

Post by TheApostleP »

I laughed as I read the agonizing question and the very well-thought-out answers. But as Jet B says... the only real answer is... BOTH :)
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

You already have a ZT for heavy weight knife, go for para, it's more versatile for EDC use as well.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I won't brag about the intellegence of what I did but this is what I did. My Manix2 with M4 has been treated with Tuf-Glide since I got it. A couple of weeks ago I held it under the faucet, shook out any excess water, opened the blade a few times and put it away. I did this 2 more times then I took it apart last night. There wasn't any sign of corrosion anywhere on the blade or tang. If there had been I was confident it would have been such a small amount I could remove it easily but there was none which made me feel even better about M4. I've seen posts here that M4 is not as prone to corrosion as most other non-stainless steels. If that is true and the use of Tuf-Glide means to me that I don't need to worry about corrosion with M4. If it gets wet I wouldn't put it away for a long time but if you dry the knife the best you can and add a drop or two of lube if it gets wet the M4 blade should be ok IMO. If corrosion is a deciding factor I feel it's not to be held against M4 if just a small amount of care is used. Probably the same care you would give to any knife.

So, I feel even better about the GB that I did and it is one of my favorites. I've only held a para2 in my hand for a couple of minutes and never used one so I don't know how it is to use. I have seen knives that feel good just holding it but when you start using a lot of force the bandle has spots that are uncomfortable. The GB has none of these "hot" spots. It's very comfortable to use hard and one of the smoothest knives I've seen. A drop of oil and the proper pivot tension and the GB is as smooth as any knife. Even if you like the pivot a little stiff, it is still smooth. GB gets my vote but I've never used a para2.

Jack