Just purchased a J.D. Smith....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tr4022

Just purchased a J.D. Smith....

Post by tr4022 »

.... for $99.00 on Cabelas website. Is that a good deal?
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tr4022 wrote:.... for $99.00 on Cabelas website. Is that a good deal?
Personally it would be a good deal for me. The JD Smith has always been one of my top 10 Spyder models for many years now. With the ATS-34 version (circa 1997-1999) becoming quite a collector's piece it only adds to the appeal of the latest version. It's also one of the older models in which the Spyderedged version is getting quite collectible as well ( mainly the ATS-34 version again).

I've believed for a long time that the JD Smith model is one of Spyderco's best conventional designs as well as being a great EDC design. It's one Spyder that there is just no way you would go wrong with it no matter what your everyday cutting chores might consist of. To me it's almost like Spyderco's version of the Buck model 110>> yeah I think it's that good
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MSRP was $220. IMHO you got a very good deal.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 1623 »

I purchased one from Cabela's last July for $119.99, which I considered to be a helluva deal. $99.99 is outstanding.

The ergonomics on the JD Smith are stellar and it's a sexy knife all the way around; wait until you open that beautiful thin blade for the first time :cool:

Speaking of which, it was also the sharpest knife I've ever handled, so be careful.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Thanks for the input, guys. It was one of those late night, bleary-eyed purchases, so when I woke up this morning, I was like, uh-oh, I hope I didn't do something really dumb last night.

Tod
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Great knife. Great deal. I don't see myself actualy carrying it though.... Probably regret passing it.

Ken
玉鋼
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

kbuzbee wrote:Great knife. Great deal. I don't see myself actualy carrying it though.... Probably regret passing it.

Ken
Yeah, I don't see myself edc'ing it here in the suburbs of Wash., d.C., either, but it just looked so danged cool and I didn't realize they were still around.

Tod
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Cabela's is where I got my JD Smith also a few months ago, kind of as an afterthought when I was already buying an orange Moran. They occasionally have some pretty fair prices for models that are unavailable elsewhere. The orange Moran was one I had wanted, but delayed purchasing until they were discontinued and the price on them went up at most places, and my preferred dealer was already out of them. I already had the black Moran, and was happy to find the orange one at Cabela's.

Free shipping to their store didn't hurt either, even though I have to drive pretty far to the store. Lots of fun toys at the store.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That sounds like a good deal to me. I paid $103 shipped for my JD Smith sprint. I'd still like to get an original someday.
:bug-red-white
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Thanks for posting. I was about to purchase an Endura, but ended up with the JD Smith.

Free shipping and $30 worth of Cabella's points got it down to roughly $75 after taxes.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Congratulations...great knife. It's a high performance tool all the way; all-be-it not one to use for scrapping the wet grass off the lawn mower. ;)
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Good deal, great knife! One of my favorites as far as blade shape goes. If it came in Smurf Blue G-10 I'd really be lovin' it.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

This is real slicer. While I would put the H-1 Catcherman slightly ahead of the JDS and the Chokwe, these 3 really stand out in the slicing arena. The looks and feel of the JD Smith are GREAT. Congrats on the new knife. Cabela's has had these on sale for a while, not sure why they haven't sold out?? IMO you got a very good deal, just don't use the knife for uses the blade won't tolerate.
B. Baer

Post by B. Baer »

Great deal on a great knife.

Gotta' love Cabelas and points....

Baer
Mick

Post by Mick »

Well, there goes another hundred bucks. :D And yes $99 bucks is a heck of a bargain, IMHO. I traded for a NIB J.D. Smith about a year ago and it's one of my favorite knives. It definitely slices like a lazer.

One of my dream Spydies is a mini-J.D. Smith with a 3' blade and carbon fiber scales.