Best Keychain Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
austinguy23

Best Keychain Knife?

Post by austinguy23 »

I see that Spyderco has several options to fill the role of "keychain knife".

Which model(s) do you recommend and why?

Pics of your setups would be great...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Of what's available currently, I'd recommend the grey G-10 Sprint Run Jester. I prefer the Jester's blade shape, with it's forward finger position to the straight spine of the Ladybug and Manbug. My personal choice is a burgundy Micarta Jester that I've been carrying for almost nine years. Bit lighter than the G-10 version, but hard to find and expensive these days. I use a quick detach that allows me to easily separate the knife from my keys when necessary.

[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have used many different ladybugs and the baby goddard on my keychain for the last 6-7 years. My current one is the yellow hawkbill ladybug. I picked yellow because it is easy to spot if you misplace your keys and the sheeple aren't to scared of a yellow knife compared to a black one. I prefer the hawkbill with teeth because on the few occasions where i forget to carry a knife in my pocket this lil one will definetly cut thru almost anything you throw at it.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Have to say the ZDP Ladybug is my favorite. I'm holding my opinion of the ZDP Manbug until theyre out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

I go back and forth between the Ladybug Hawkbill Salt and the FRN Manbug. The Jester sprint just didn't speak to me after carrying it a while, and the g10 Manbug is way too heavy.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey guy,
i've got two lb 1's, a lb 3, a baby goddard and a newly acquired jester sprint.
both the lb 1's and the goddard are partially serrated, and i like having one of those if i'm just carrying a pe for edc.
i like the jester because it's a little more robust than any of the frn knives.
i don't carry the jester on my keys though. i use a suspension clip that i made to hang it from the top of my left front pocket.
i'm wanting to get a h1 lb hawkbill to add to my small knives.
don't count out the bug slipits either. they're very functional and affordable.
you really can't make a bad choice concerning any of the knives mentioned, it's just a matter of finding one that suits your tastes and budget.
good luck!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Let me add my $.02 here. On another thread on the forum, someone expressed concern about the blade retention of the frn ladybug, i.e., the potential for the knife top open in your pocket and present you with a nasty surprise the next time you reach for your keys. At the time, I said Hmmmm, to myself and filed it away in the back of my brain. Fast forward to last night. I was heading out to pick up pizza for dinner, reached into my pocket for my car keys and YYYYEEEEEEEOOOOGH! my hand flew out of my pocket but fast oozing blood from a (minor) would to my finger. I searched my pocket very, very carefully, and there was my ladybug attached to my car keys wide, and I mean WIDE, open. Could have been operator error, but just thought I would give you another data point to consider.

That said, if I were to buy a ladybug, I would get the yellow, too. Easier to spot. Especially if you're color blind like me.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would go with the dragonfly. Because its a little knife with big attitude.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Also, I have the Jester, too, and it is an awesome little knife. No blade retention issues there. Pricey, though. Is it worth it? Depends on your needs and wallet size, I guess.

Tod
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like my Baby Goddard.

If you can spare the weight, I recommend the Forester. :)

I do feel that the G-10 Jester would be too heavy for my keys. For something easy to buy and available, I would go with the Manbug.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I had a Ladybug salt that I carried attached to a small flashlight. That was fine but I seldom used the LB. I always used the normal EDC I had on me. The LB was there just in case I forgot the other knife. Now I have a Jester which feels much sturdier than the LB. The Jester has liners which will make it stronger and heavier even though the weight so light with either it's not an issue. I like to carry two knives plus the Jester/light combo. Small knife and a larger one. Example: Chaparral and Gayle bradley. Now, since the Jester feels sturdier I feel ok carrying it and the GB as a small/large knife combo. I don't attach it to my keys though. It is attached to a small flashlight since I've gotten to where I carry it all the time. The light has a pocket clip so I keep it clipped in my left front pocket. The knife can hang out or be in the pocket. If the knife is inside I have a FOB that hangs out to easily grab it. The FOB is not necessary, just convenient sometimes. The knife and light can be easily seperated if I want. This is almost a requirement for me. If I wanted it attached to my keys I'd just attach the light/knife to my keys. But, for me that gets too bulky for a set of keys. Here is a picture of it with a Chaparral for size comparison. The Jester is the same size as a LB. The Jester is a great knife. If you want to go with less money for a keychain knife I'd definately get the FRN Manbug instead of the LB. The G-10 Manbug and Jester are quite a bit more expensive. The Jester is a sprint though if that interests you so it won't be readily available forever.

Jack
Attachments
EDC 1 Jester, light,  Chaparral EDC.jpg
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Oh, and another cool thing about the Jester, as I pointed out elsewhere, is that it's shaped almost exactly like the Warrior, which is a totally bad-a$$ed fixed blade. So you can feel like you're walking around with a mini Warrior in your pocket all day along. Hey, these are important things to consider!

Tod
Sht

Post by Sht »

D'fly has a clip so I would rule that out. The best small knife without a clip I'd say is the kiwi 3. Yea I know its SS but it feels great with the choils & fills the hand.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Sht wrote:D'fly has a clip so I would rule that out. The best small knife without a clip I'd say is the kiwi 3. Yea I know its SS but it feels great with the choils & fills the hand.
I agree with all of the above, but it might be a bit big for a keychain knife.

Tod
Sht

Post by Sht »

tr4022 wrote:I agree with all of the above, but it might be a bit big for a keychain knife.

Tod
I agree with all of the above too, but since I dont ever put knives on my keychains I did not think about that.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Mine is currently the Ladybug serrated hawkbill in H-1.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Don't forget the Bug. It's easier for me to justify condemning a knife to a life of keychain. When it costed $5 it's easier :) .
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I prefer that spin as my keychain knife makes a great exacto knife and good for blister packs.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I carry both a ladybug hawkbill H1 and ladybug ZDP/189 every day in my left pocket, but I keep my keys in my right pocket. I have too many keys and don't like the bulk of them any larger, and usually take my keys/wallet out of my pockets as soon as I get to work or when I'm home, but still want my knives in my pocket. Of course, I also always have a Caly 3 in my waistband, and usually something in my coin pocket of jeans, and a larger blade in right-rear pocket :) .

I find ladybugs much easier to use one-handed if they have a lanyard on them, mine just have a bit of paracord tied on.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

The Deacon wrote:Of what's available currently, I'd recommend the grey G-10 Sprint Run Jester. I prefer the Jester's blade shape, with it's forward finger position to the straight spine of the Ladybug and Manbug. My personal choice is a burgundy Micarta Jester that I've been carrying for almost nine years. Bit lighter than the G-10 version, but hard to find and expensive these days. I use a quick detach that allows me to easily separate the knife from my keys when necessary.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
....for living attached to a keychain that little Jester has held up remarkably well. I'm impressed.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare