Para 2 Questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Mine came out of the box rock solid, but after playing with it for a couple of days it had some blade play. I spent three hours messing around with the pivot screws, after which I was finally able to eliminate the play but then my blade was off center a little, 40-60 %. After using and playing with it some more, it developed a little side to side blade play again, but now I don't care anymore. It is such a great edc knife, don't let small details like that stop you from buying one.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I have four Para 2's with absolutely no blade play, didn't have to tweak the at all, the grey and CF swing open and closed so easily they feel like they should have blade play (like when you loosen the pivot a ton, like halfway out) but still lock up super solid.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Random Dan wrote:I've heard a lot of people complain about the Para 2 having blade play issues, so before I buy one I have a few questions.

#1. How common is it for a P2 to have blade play?
#2. Is blade play something the Spyderco warranty would cover?
#3. Could you fix it by tightening the pivot screw?

Thanks for your time!

Every Para 2 i've bought has come out of the box perfect. I've had a digicam, a DLC, and a 20CP. All of them have developed side to side play after breaking in and a couple months of dedicated EDC (and when i say EDC, i don't mean cutting a loose thread and opening the mail, i mean making repeated/routine cuts mostly through heavy corrugated boxes throughout my job everyday). When i say side to side play, i mean you have to grab the blade in one hand and the handle in the other and jiggle the pivot to feel it. There's no sign of play when being used and for 99.9% of the knife population there would be no perceivable blade play, or in other words you have to know what you're looking for to even know it's there. I would assume they would cover blade play under warranty if it were out of spec, but given the style pivot we're dealing with, i think there's a pretty liberal amount of "spec" to play with before warranty would cover it. Most blade play can be adjusted by the pivot screw, but you have to be careful or you'll tighten it too much and lose the "blade drops by gravity" thing that everyone loves. I could dial out all the play on any of mine but i would lose the blade drop feature, which is something i tend to rely on for speedy open/close use at work so i live with the very slight amount of play that i've encountered.

Or to put this into another perspective...i sold the digicam version because i acid etched the blade too long and created (in my opinion) a ton of blade play and it irritated me. The guy i sold it to did the blade jiggle thing and said "wow that's not bad at all". So, i would say i probably sweat the details about my knives more than even the average knife aficionado.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
B. Baer

Post by B. Baer »

#1 No blade play on mine.
#2 I could only assume if it were severe enough they'd cover it.
#3 Had no reason to try , but again assume it might, but you could create other issues, as stated in previous comments.

Great knife, straight out of the box. Worth waiting for. Well done Spyderco.

Baer
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

Mine doesn't have any blade play, when I first got it, it was a bit hard to open but it got loose after using it.
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
BAL

Post by BAL »

Sht wrote:I'm so glad you brought this up because I reload for my glock 20 & now I'm going to blow my hand up every weekend!

**** you internet
**** you Al Gore.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I have one Para2, out of seven Spydies. None of my knives have any blade play. Touchwood, I guess I am lucky.

I did send in one of my knives for warranty and Spyderco told me the knife had a slight blade play. This was news to me as I know It did not have any. Perhaps my postal staff played football with the package. Anyway, Spyderco was kind enough to provide a solution but that's stuff for another post.

I know that I did not answer ur Qs. Just sharing my thoughts.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

My Para2 was also perfect right out of the box. Yes, if I TRY to move the blade side to side, it will "move" some. However, I do not consider this the loosely used term "blade play". I think some people are more liberal with this term than others. To me, blade play would mean the fit was sloppy in either direction. I have used folders from other makers that actually HAD 'blade play'. I could literally feel the blade 'wiggle' when I used the knife to cut something.