Gavin Hawk's Ti Clip on PM2 ...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
wquiles

Gavin Hawk's Ti Clip on PM2 ...

Post by wquiles »

A friend of mine got one of these Ti clips for his ZT 550 knife, and I was pretty impressed by it. Basically you press on the base of the clip and you can then slide in/out the knife out of the pocket without ripping the pocket away!

The particular clip that I got did not have the right hole spacing, so I used a small round diamond file to slightly enlarge the holes and achieve alignment. I did scratch up a little the clip near one of the holes, but overall still looks great - and more importantly it works great!

Will
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

This is good news indeed. Thats the only reason I don't carry a whole lot of G-10 is because my jeans can't handle it. How much are they? Can you get some that are specifically made for the Para or any other Spydies?
Slash

Post by Slash »

No offense but that thing is kinda ugly. I'm sure it work well though. I think it may have been possible to mod a piece of steel and throw it under the spydie clip..no?
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I like it! How much do they go for?
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

No offense taken guys. I will be the first one to admit that the finish/style does not go well with the overall finish of the PM2 - remember it is a generic part designed to work with several knives.

This is my EDC, so I am purely going after the function, and this works extremely well. These go for $25 including shipping, and you order them by sending an email directly to Gavin Hawk, more information available here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -grip-clip

Will
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Slash wrote:I think it may have been possible to mod a piece of steel and throw it under the spydie clip..no?
No, not quite. The design uses a lever to lift the end of the clip to get the knife in/out of the pocket as you can see in these two pictures:

Will
Donut

Post by Donut »

Seems like a good idea. Does it work the normal way, too?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Donut wrote:Seems like a good idea. Does it work the normal way, too?
Only for removing the knife, which is OK for a quick/emergency draw, but it is bypassing the feature. Even if you remove the knife without pressing the lever, to store the knife back in the pocket you "have" to press on the level to allow the clip to clear the edge of the pocket. Using the lever is the whole point of the system ;)
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

You said you had to drill the holes out. Does he not make any specifically for Spyderco's three hole setup? How hard is it to mod it to make it fit?
BAL

Post by BAL »

It might a decent idea, but it looks like it doesn't belong, it just looks out of place.
Maybe there will be other styles that look more like the original or better, but this
looks like an aftermarker part, which it is, but you don;t want to look that way.

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I wonder about inadvertant pressure on the release
and then your knife is loose. I have had regular clips get caught on something when
I am working and the knife wants to pull out. If pressure is applied to the top it would
slide out easier. No knock against it, it might be ok, I am not fond of the current version.

Thanks for posting. I like to see any and all new stuff.
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

redyps04 wrote:You said you had to drill the holes out. Does he not make any specifically for Spyderco's three hole setup? How hard is it to mod it to make it fit?
The two holes were there already - I had to enlarge the two holes, to make them line up with the screw holes in the PM2. It was not hard to do with a small diamond round file.

BAL wrote:It might a decent idea, but it looks like it doesn't belong, it just looks out of place.
Maybe there will be other styles that look more like the original or better, but this
looks like an aftermarker part, which it is, but you don;t want to look that way.
Yup, looks out of place and definitely looks aftermarket. It works great though.

BAL wrote:Maybe I am old fashioned, but I wonder about inadvertant pressure on the release
and then your knife is loose. I have had regular clips get caught on something when
I am working and the knife wants to pull out. If pressure is applied to the top it would
slide out easier. No knock against it, it might be ok, I am not fond of the current version.
Not likely. You have to deliberately press on the lever, and maintain pressure in the lever, until the knife is out of the pocket. It clamps down as good or stronger than the factory clip.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Looks a little too high off the handle, like it would snag on things.
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

enduraguy wrote:Looks a little too high off the handle, like it would snag on things.
Agreed - definitely not as low profile as the OEM clip. So far (about 1 week of EDC carry) I have not see/had that problem but it is possible.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

It's a work of pure art, congrats.
There is no clip that "belongs" on a knife, but if you you want one, you might as well get one that works.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

wquiles wrote: Image
First thing that came to mind.....
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
BAL

Post by BAL »

gull wing wrote:It's a work of pure art, congrats.
There is no clip that "belongs" on a knife, but if you you want one, you might as well get one that works.
I'll respectfully disagree. I carry knives loose in the pocket, but also carry with them clipped to the pocket. For
self defense purposes, the clip is a valuable part of the knife. And while I personally am more of a function before
beauty person, I also value the looks of a knife and wouldn't necessarily add any old clip to say a nice carbon fiber
handle.

That said, I might still be interested in a clip like this. I carry different knives for different reasons and I can say that
there are times when this type might be a better choice. Anyway take care man.
Spidey sense

Post by Spidey sense »

I guess this is a perfect example of beauty being in the eyes of the beholder, cause I think the clip is sharp looking and I'm going to order one ....or two
The best thing one can do is the right thing.
The next best thing one can do is the wrong thing.
The worst thing one can do is nothing.
Spidey sense

Post by Spidey sense »

I guess this is a perfect example of Beauty being in the eyes of the beholder, cause I think the clip looks sharp and is an excellent idea. I'm going to order me one ....or two, for my delica.
The best thing one can do is the right thing.
The next best thing one can do is the wrong thing.
The worst thing one can do is nothing.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

That's pretty cool. I wonder if you could mod a :spyder: clip to do that. It might look a little less out of place and a little less like Kilroy...
Clip

Post by Clip »

Id like it to have the gentle bend on the handle contact surface so you could use it with or without depressing the lever. Other than that looks functional/utilitarian and I definitely don't mind that on an EDC.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris