Buying my next Spyderco (Help me decide!!)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kousii

Buying my next Spyderco (Help me decide!!)

Post by Kousii »

My paycheck is coming in soon and its about time to buy another knife. Normally I go for the lower priced knives because money is tight but this time I want to treat myself. I'm deciding between the Gayle Bradley and the Para-Military2. I know that which ever one I pick, I won't be disappointed. It is a tough choice though. I always carry a FRN Dragonfly2 with me because it is so small and nice. I also carry an Endura 4 FRN with me. Those two knives together could accomplish many tasks. I want to move up though. I'm a little worried about how delicate the Para2 is. Since I carry a dragonfly that does all my delicate cutting tasks I am leaning more toward the Gayle Bradley due to its reputation as a hard use folder. The Para2 on the other hand is such a great knife (from what I have heard). I feel as a knife collector and user that I need this knife. What would you guys/gals do in my situation? By the way, sorry that I am posting this because I know stuff like this always gets posted.

Thanks,
George :)
duvaldrummer

Post by duvaldrummer »

I don't have any experience with the Gayle Bradley (yet!) but I can say that since I got a para 2, I literally haven't edc'd any other knife I own.
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
Sht

Post by Sht »

Para is by no means a delicate knife. That said get the GB!
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They are both very different knives and loved by many. I would compare stats, watch vids, and go with your gut.

The GB is certainly more robust but the PM2 isn't frail.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Para 2 ;)
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Gayle Bradley is probably more unique, and comes in M-4. However, the PM-2 is currently available in a great range of steels.

You can't go wrong with either, but I'd suggest you look at the range of steels available and pick one of those. If M-4 is what you like, get the GB.

The other obvious difference is going to be the compression lock on the PM2.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Love'em both, but if you don't have a compression lock Para 2 you will. Might as well do it now. :spyder:
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

The GB has a good rep, but the PM2 is darned near universal any more. I have a PM2 in M390 and it's a great knife. It's my EDC, but I don't try to use any knife for a prybar.
I have a Manix2 is CPM M4 and it's nice but I've never carried it. It's basically NIB. The blade is so wide that it's too much for me unless I really want to hit the woods for a wkend. I have a BM 755 with M390 that's also tough as nails.
The GB will rust if it gets wet. JackKnife says his GB with M4 is great; he keeps it dry but no other special care.
I guess you should look at both the Para2 and the GB; the numbers sold likely would overwhelmingly reco the Para2.
Sonny
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have never owned or used a Para2. I did hold one once and I think the knife handle is one that fits some hands like a glove and not other hands. It's not uncomfortable for anyone including me but It's not like someone poured the knife handle into my fist creating a perfect fit. The GB just feel good to me. It's gorgeous IMO and sturdy as he**. M4 is a great steel also IMO and one of the better selling points of the GB. The GB is probably a lot heavier than the Para2 so consider that if weight is important to you. Personally, I'm just too old to think a light knife could hold up to hard use. I like a little weight in a knife to work with. I also don't mind EDC the GB though sometimes I carry it in a sheath with something smaller in my front pocket.

For me with my only holding the para2 for about one minute Id go with the GB. I don't know for sure about the para2 but I do know I love the GB for a knife I can depend on. Keep it oiled and you shouldn't need to worry about corrosion. I use Tuf-Glide for corrosion protection and Quick Release oil for lubrication. Tuf-Glide is enough though and what I'd pick if I could only pick one. There are lots of other lubes out there like militec and corrosion-X which people swear by.

Jack
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

If it's between the S30V para and the GB, I would definitely go for the GB.

If it is one of the sprint para 2's then that would make it a tougher choice.
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

You'll love the Para 2. I have two of them (soon to be three) and they are fantastic knives that are available in a wide variety of steels and scale colors/materials.

I have been playing around for a long time with purchasing a Gayle Bradley. It's indeed a great knife for hard use with the superior edge retention of CPM-M4. The only drawback is the fact that M4 is by no means stainless. You're going to have to thoroughly coat the the blade with a Tuf Cloth or something similar to protect from patina and pitting...unless you wish for a patina to appear, which some people actually prefer.

I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what you decide. Good luck!
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

Both are great knives but I find myself carrying the para 2 more often then the GB . I like the carbon fiber on the GB and the M4 but the feel and compression lock on the para 2 sets it apart from any other knife I own. Good luck on your choice you will love either one and post pics when you receive which ever one you choose!
35:spyder:
BAL

Post by BAL »

I will NEVER say anything bad about the Gail Bradley, (Jack might be able to figure out where I live)
but for most, I would probably recommend the Para 2 and a better fit for an EDC. Easy to open and
close, lighter and feels natural in the hand. Whichever you do get, i would recommend trying to figure
out how to get the other one. Both are classics.