Sage4 compared to other Sages

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Sage4 compared to other Sages

Post by jackknifeh »

I've had a Sage1 for about a year I think and it quickly became one of my five favorite knives, possibly #1 depending on my mood. :) Now I've had a Sage4 for 2 days. Now I have six favorite knives. I really love this knife for the similarity it has to the Sage1. Being the same size, shape and blade steel are the obvious similarities. The obvious differences at first are the lock and the weight. It "feels" more solid than the Sage1 but that may be the weight but possibly the fact that the Sage4's liners are flush with the blade tang make it less prone to blade play forming after a lot of use, possibly a little abuse. The liners on the Sage1 are not close to the tang because of the washers on opposite sides of the tang. It's a very sturdy knife in spite of that though. The feel of the CF on the S1 and the wood/bolsters is different but I don't prefer one over the other at this point. The appearance is very different but again I haven't decided which I prefer. It's hard to prefer one when both are great. It may boil down to carrying the one that matches my socks. :confused:

So, I was wondering what yous guys views are on all the Sages from especially the folks who have used all four. Comparing the differences in just the Sages is unique for me because basically it's the same knife except for the obvious differences. I guess which lock do you prefer is an obvious question. Any opions are appreciated as it may influence future purchases. You never know when that will happen. Ten minutes before I ordered the Sage4 I had no intention of getting another knife any time soon. Ten minutes later I was already looking out the window for the mail man. :)

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have all four. I think the Sage is a very good design, almost incredibly so considering the need for it to be adaptable to a multitude of locks. IMHO, the maker in Taichung is doing an excellent job. All four versions are well built knives with excellent fit and finish. Steel is identical and thus not a factor, you either consider S30V acceptable, or you don't. So it really comes down to preferences as to lock type and handle materials. If I were right handed, I'd probably be torn between the Sage I and Sage IV since, to me, they're the two best looking. While the Sage II is As a lefty, my choice is a much easier one since the Sage III has two strikes against it - it's G-10 and it's light blue. So, at least for now, the Sage IV is the only one that gets any pocket time.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:I have all four. I think the Sage is a very good design, almost incredibly so considering the need for it to be adaptable to a multitude of locks. IMHO, the maker in Taichung is doing an excellent job. All four versions are well built knives with excellent fit and finish. Steel is identical and thus not a factor, you either consider S30V acceptable, or you don't. So it really comes down to preferences as to lock type and handle materials. If I were right handed, I'd probably be torn between the Sage I and Sage IV since, to me, they're the two best looking. While the Sage II is As a lefty, my choice is a much easier one since the Sage III has two strikes against it - it's G-10 and it's light blue. So, at least for now, the Sage IV is the only one that gets any pocket time.
I should have know you'd have all four. You may even have models that haven't been invented yet. :) The 4 has replaced my 1 for pocket time also for now but it is still new. When the "new" wears of, then I'll be in a better position on deciding if I like one better than the other. IMO they really are two knives that should "set a standard" for greatness. Of course that is just one guys opinion.

Jack
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Like many others I have all four, by the time the series is done it should be a great way to teach my daughter and nephews how to manipulate different locks since they are too young right now.

In order of preference, 4..2..1..3. The latest is one of my favourites and I will put it to work, feels incredibly solid and looks great, I prefer the extra weight. One thing that I need to do is smooth out the liners as they are quite sharp. The lock on the 4 has alos smoothed out considerably and opens and closes more naturally now. After that the 2 is on deck for its shear simplicity of design, it disappears in the pocket and is incredibly functional (lets be honest very few spydies are not functional). If I could only keep two of them these would be the ones and I would have no regrets. I also like steel handled knives so this pushes me in that direction.

Can't wait for the comp lock. I imagine that will be the only one that challenges the above two for pocket time.
computernut

Post by computernut »

It might just be 'new knife syndrome' but I'm really liking the Sage4. So my favourites right now would be 4,3,1,2. For some reason the Sage2 just doesn't do it for me. I love the simplicity of the design and the materials though. The Sage1 is a great knife and a perfect EDC but I find that I'm more likely to grab the Sage4 or Sage3 these days. The only downside to the Sage3 is the G10, it likes to rip up the edges of my pockets, that and its a little on the wide side due to the BAL taking up room. I might have to start collecting the Chaparral now and make my morning carry decision even harder :rolleyes:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

computernut wrote:It might just be 'new knife syndrome' but I'm really liking the Sage4. So my favourites right now would be 4,3,1,2. For some reason the Sage2 just doesn't do it for me. I love the simplicity of the design and the materials though. The Sage1 is a great knife and a perfect EDC but I find that I'm more likely to grab the Sage4 or Sage3 these days. The only downside to the Sage3 is the G10, it likes to rip up the edges of my pockets, that and its a little on the wide side due to the BAL taking up room. I might have to start collecting the Chaparral now and make my morning carry decision even harder :rolleyes:
Future Chaparrals are already calling to me. Some people even were asking what the number 2 would be within a month of the first one. I can't believe how obsessed people can get. Ok, ok, I thought about what the next Chaparral would be but I didn't post it. I do hope they use M4 as one of the blade steels. I don't care which one as long as it's the next one.

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I don't own any Sages...but I have held or used all of them. And the IV is IMO the best. Looks the best and feels the best. I do wish that they had a slightly longer and not as wide blade...but the IV is nice enough that I might overlook that.

As for a Chappy...love to see one done like the sage IV but with M4.
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I also have all 4 Sages. For some reason, I just can't seem to connect with the Sage 1. But I've really come to appreciate titanium frame locks in the last year, so the Sage 2 ranks high on my list. I like the bolt lock of the Sage 3, but it seems a bit bulky compared to the others. The Sage 4 is clearly my favorite so far. The wood and bolsters are beautiful, and the lockup is rock solid. It also has a very nice weight in the hand, and its handle shape and width really seems to lock into the hand comfortably and solidly. Everything about it conveys quality and solidity.

I would rank my Sage series preference as: 4, 2, 3, 1.
:bug-red-white
computernut

Post by computernut »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:As for a Chappy...love to see one done like the sage IV but with M4.
I was actually thinking that earlier today, a Chaparral with ironwood, titanium, and m4 would be nice.
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

I have the Sage1, and it's in my office carry rotation. The only other one I have an interest in is the Sage4.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The first is the best :D

the fact that the Sage4's liners are flush with the blade tang make it less prone to blade play forming after a lot of use, possibly a little abuse. The liners on the Sage1 are not close to the tang because of the washers on opposite sides of the tang.

Don't have a IV yet, do have I II III. Jack, Are you saying the IV doesn't have washers?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I have given one of my sons 3/4 of them--no carbon fiber--and have handled them myself extensively. #4, the ironwood, is the standout. Exceptionally well built knife.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

gull wing wrote:The first is the best :D

the fact that the Sage4's liners are flush with the blade tang make it less prone to blade play forming after a lot of use, possibly a little abuse. The liners on the Sage1 are not close to the tang because of the washers on opposite sides of the tang.

Don't have a IV yet, do have I II III. Jack, Are you saying the IV doesn't have washers?
I don't know if the Sage4 does or not. The Sage4 has the same lock as the Chaparral with a stop pin on the tang and there are slots in each liner where the pin rotates. When the knife is open the pins rest against the end of the slots. I think this it to reduce or eliminate vertical blade play and strengthen the lock. There are pictures of the Chaparral taken apart somewhere here in the forum black hole. I even took mine apart but don't remember if there were washers or not. I said all this in case someone has had their Chaparral apart or remembers which thread to find the disassembled Chaparral pictures. I'm thinking if the Chaparral has washers so does the Sage4. But I don't know.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Chap has washers!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

gull wing wrote:The Chap has washers!
I'm thinking the Sage4 does also, very thin ones. When I open my knife and try to find a space between the liners and tang I can see a very very small space if the knife is in exactly a certain position. I hold it up with my monitor behind it for light.

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Am sure the Sage 4 has washers, since there are visible gaps on either side of the blade. They're somewhat difficult to see because the lockbar does not have washers and is a very close fit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here are a couple of pictures of a Chaparral disassembled showing the washer in one picture.

Jack
PS edit about the Chaparral. In the picture of the liner on top of the blade you see a screw that holds the lock bar pivot. You can use this screw to adjust blade pivot tension if you can't get yours "just right" with the pivot screws only. Or I was able to get mine adjusted better by removing the scales, then tightening this screw until the blade moves with the right tension for me. Then I put the scales on and adjusted the pivot screw. It may not be needed on every Chaparral. I had only disassembled it due to the gritty feeling some Chaparral's had. The gritty feeling in mine is completely gone now.

Back on subject. I'm liking the Sage4 more every time I use it. The spring on the lockbar is very strong. I believe this will make pushing the button and releasing the lock by accident almost impossible, not that I've ever had that problem on any other knife.

Jack
Attachments
Chaparral disassembled open.jpg
Chaparral disassembled closed.jpg
Stony

Post by Stony »

The SageIV has the bronze washers.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Stony wrote:The SageIV has the bronze washers.
I've wondered for a long time about different washer types and the difference they make. What washers do Sage1 thru Sage3 have? Why switch to bronze from whatever? Cheaper but still work good? Work better?

Or, were you making a joke? :) That's what I thought at first.

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I hate to be the odd-man-out here - I'm a huge Sage fan, but didn't warm to the Sage 4. The model I got had some pretty bad QC problems and I ended up returning it. The blade scraped on the liners when it was rotated (and no amount of pivot adjustment cured it) and the liners were so sharp that they literally cut my fingers. I'll be in line to buy the Sage 5, but this one didn't float my boat.

TedP