EDC Helmet?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

EDC Helmet?

Post by Blerv »

I was reading this article (which is awesome btw): http://www.cracked.com/article_19698_7- ... rvive.html

Afterwards thought how many people die from some type of blunt trauma to the head. Not like getting into a bar fight with Kimbo Slice but stupid crap like car wrecks, stairs, or falling out of furniture while asleep. If you could extend your life and chance of being permanently damaged by say, 10 years, would it be worth it?

How about a fashionable helmet?

Think of it (seriously): Everyone else wears one. They look badass, are light-weight, and breath nicely. Plus they have all sorts of tricky technology built in, like that dude from Halo. Sun/blast visors, hands-free phone mic, iTunes, face mask for that infant with some sort of nasty cough, even a beer can mount for parties. The possibilities are endless!

People freak out about defense knives, your chance of being destroyed in a car wreck are way higher. Even a bar fight with people wearing helmets would last long enough to evacuate or for the authorities to arrive.

I'm down and absolutely hate ball caps. Who else is in for this?

PS: Or at the least some type of retractable hard-case hoodie for your coat to flip up while performing risky things?

F...yah!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

That's funny.. Don't care who you are!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ok, clear helmets. That way we look like space people and not some strange anonymous game of paintball. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Good luck with that Blerv. Hope you live in some liberal infested nanny state where everyone thinks everyone else should live forever, 'cause around here they look at you like you're some kind of sissy-boy for wearing one while riding a motorcycle. :eek: :p
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Deacon wrote:Good luck with that Blerv. Hope you live in some liberal infested nanny state where everyone thinks everyone else should live forever, 'cause around here they look at you like you're some kind of sissy-boy for wearing one while riding a motorcycle. :eek: :p
LOL Paul!

I take it someday you will be the kind that skips the Life-Alert necklace and replaces it with a small flask of Rum 151?

You're all going to look silly when my urban Ninja helmet takes off. Just because our cyborg tech is lacking doesn't mean you can't try.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

http://www.nsc.org/news_resources/injur ... 0Dying.pdf

You would be surprised. Lifetime chance of dying from stairs 1 in 2112 which is basically a serial killer compared to the chance of accident firearm discharge (1 in 17,454).

It's not just a matter of stairs, furniture, coconuts, or other what we would deem "freak deaths" but everything else. Falls alone are 1 in 184 and a helmet would minimize damage from most accidents involving normal injuries like cars wrecks.

Basically of the two things we know are extremely vulnerable (brain and heart), if you protect one of them your chances of freak and normal deaths are reduced dramatically. Also, if some dude is messing with you....HEADBUTTT!
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

You mean, when not riding a motorcycle?
Or not at a workingplace that does incorporate some real world risk.

When it's voluntarily, I'm all for it.
Let fools make fools of themselves.

Statistically speaking, beds are extremely dangerous.
A lot of people die in one of them.
Wear a helmet in bed.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm not talking of a legally mandated helmet law. Just something a bit more streamlined for people who may be doing anything remotely dangerous at speed.

Take it what you will, this could be shopping at Walmart during some crazy deal day. Your chance of being crushed or pepper sprayed by some freak is like 1/10 it seems :p .

In a perfect world you could have some type of advanced pack/rig that sense when your body is rapidy shifted from standing vertically or work on a shock-sensor/muscle flinch level. Kinda like how the automatic roll-bar works in a Porsche Boxster. Even an external skeleton/frame that could prevent the crushing of said "noggin" would cut down dramatically on deaths.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I wear a Bern Brentwood hard hat every day to and from work. It has inserts for wool ear covers and even ear covers with headphones, although I use the hat brim one. It's hard hat rated for multiple impact and covers my brainstem. My friend hit me with a 3# sledge in the head while I was wearing it and it's fine although I was pretty staggered. I don't wear it other than on my bike though, as it causes my friends to swing hammers at my head.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:LOL Paul!

I take it someday you will be the kind that skips the Life-Alert necklace and replaces it with a small flask of Rum 151?

You're all going to look silly when my urban Ninja helmet takes off. Just because our cyborg tech is lacking doesn't mean you can't try.
Never was one for hard liquor and I doubt I'll start now, but my Life Alert necklace has three letters on it, DNR. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Slash

Post by Slash »

According to OSHA regulations I'm required to wear a hard hat and work. I don't think I'll wear one at home. When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

When I take off my bicycle helmet I keep glancing at where the mirror should be so I can see what's behind me. I've thought about attaching the mirror to my glasses full time; I hadn't thought about wearing the helmet.

I be up for reinforcing one of those leather mad bomber hats, that would get me through the winter. For summer . . . I got it: shave off your hair and wear a titanium reinforced wig.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Deacon wrote:Never was one for hard liquor and I doubt I'll start now, but my Life Alert necklace has three letters on it, DNR. ;)
Ha ha ha! :) This is crazy-good fun. Love it. I mean, who needs a helmet when you're "No-code blue?" ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I've always found it funny that people wear helmets when they ride bikes, but not when they're walking or in a car. Not much logic going on there.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Enkidude wrote:I've always found it funny that people wear helmets when they ride bikes, but not when they're walking or in a car. Not much logic going on there.
I've busted my face a few times riding a bike and wished i had a helmet on. If you need a helmet for walking...you're probably a little handicapped lol. As for driving cars and wearing helmets, i wear one when i drag race, does that count? :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The funny thing is your risk while drag racing (assuming not a top fuel situation) is minimal compared to driving to work around the rest of the world.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Anonymous wrote:Depends, you can actually get going pretty fast on a bike. If you were going fast and fell off and slammed your head into the ground/rock you might realize the need for one. A helmet would be your only means of protection while you're in your in a car you have a seatbelt, airbag, and a giant hunk of metal surrounding you.
I ride BMX and I go fast and wreck quite often. Only hit my head once and it wasn't bad. Of course, you could/will catch a bad one eventually. I just feel like the casual bike rider wearing a helmet is silly. You should wear one when your a pedestrian too and then wear a flame retardant suit when you drive. How about a parachute when you get on a plane instead of a life jacket. :eek: LMAO whats going on in the world??????? :confused:
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Anonymous wrote:Depends, you can actually get going pretty fast on a bike. If you were going fast and fell off and slammed your head into the ground/rock you might realize the need for one. A helmet would be your only means of protection while you're in your in a car you have a seatbelt, airbag, and a giant hunk of metal surrounding you.
I hit 35 going downhill into town and 20 pretty regularly riding with my group. Surprisingly, I haven't crashed since my balance nerve was destroyed but I've fallen a number of times getting on and off the bike.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897