sprint run on Stretch 2 with leaf shape blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iyn

sprint run on Stretch 2 with leaf shape blade?

Post by iyn »

anyone know if there will be a sprint run on Stretch 2 with a more "straight" leaf shape blade?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

A year or two back Sal mentioned that Spyderco was considering the possibility of a Stretch variant with a more "conventional" (leaf, spear, drop point, or modified clip point) blade. Haven't heard anything since, so the idea may have been shot down in committee, but some things take longer than others to find their way into the pipeline, so it may still show up one of these days either as a Sprint or regular production. Love the Stretch the way it is, but I'd still buy one (or more) in a heartbeat.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I have mixed feelings on this. The blade shape on the Stretch is one of those "identifying" features that it has. If you change
the shape of the blade it kind of changes the knife's identity. That being said, I do like the conventional shapes more and
still might get one.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:A year or two back Sal mentioned that Spyderco was considering the possibility of a Stretch variant with a more "conventional" (leaf, spear, drop point, or modified clip point) blade.
I would love to see any of these. I like the handle on Stretch, but not a fan of the blade shape. Lately I feel that I really need another 3.5" FFG blade, preferably with polished G10 or micarta. Any of "conventional" (leaf, spear, drop point, or modified clip point) blade." will be interesting.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just to give you an idea of what it might look like with a Delica/Military style modified clip point...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

...I like the original Stretch because the narrow blade can get into places this style would have problems with, but I do think the modified clip makes it a more attractive looking knife.
Paul
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Looks good to me.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

Donut

Post by Donut »

Last year at one of the shows, people had mentioned seeing a stretch with a delica/endura style blade. It sounds nice to me.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm of mixed mind about this. I've been a longtime fan of the Hunter/Pro-Venator/Stretch line - I absolutely love the format. If you change the blade, you make it something that isn't a Stretch.

Having said that, the photoshop from Deacon looks really attractive. Sorta like a cross between a Caly 3.5 and and Para2. I'd probably end up buying one...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Just sort of looks like an Endura with a choil really. I am sure that a lot of people would be thrilled by that idea and it doesn't look bad...but I don't think that it is really a Stretch.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I do recall they were looking to make it more conventional for mainstream buyers. For me the blade shape is cool and quirky. Pragmatically the dropped spine of the current model makes for a slimmer package.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Just sort of looks like an Endura with a choil really. I am sure that a lot of people would be thrilled by that idea and it doesn't look bad...but I don't think that it is really a Stretch.
So can I take it that you wouldn't consider an Emerson Opener Endura to really be an Endura? I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, and I know there are folks who don't even consider the Endura 4 with its slightly blunted tip to be a real Endura. My only point is that Spyderco has offered alternate blade shapes on other models. The premise is valid, IMHO, since no single shape appeals to everyone and there are those who find the Stretch's blade unattractive but might purchase one with a broader blade
Paul
DeathBySnooSnoo

The Deacon wrote:So can I take it that you wouldn't consider an Emerson Opener Endura to really be an Endura? I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, and I know there are folks who don't even consider the Endura 4 with its slightly blunted tip to be a real Endura. My only point is that Spyderco has offered alternate blade shapes on other models. The premise is valid, IMHO, since no single shape appeals to everyone and there are those who find the Stretch's blade unattractive but might purchase one with a broader blade
No I just think that with a lot of people wanting a Delica and Endura with a choil, why not make that rather than making a change to the Stretch which is a fairly distinctive knife, or perhaps something like that is just a way to satisfy the people that want the choiled D/E and keep costs down by using existing designs.
I was just saying to me, it isn't really a stretch if it hasn't got that distinctive blade on it. To me that is what makes it a Stretch.

And yes the UKPK comes in three blade shapes, and yet those are all UKPKs, but I think that with the Stretch it is a long established model and a much loved design (not by all I know) and to come out with a new blade shape just to make it more widely accepted is kind of...lame. There are many many other models that have a leaf shaped blade so why change one that doesn't to suit them?
On the hunt for...
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

The Deacon wrote:Just to give you an idea of what it might look like with a Delica/Military style modified clip point...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

...I like the original Stretch because the narrow blade can get into places this style would have problems with, but I do think the modified clip makes it a more attractive looking knife.
Candidate for Delica 5? ;) I wonder if the Stretch is really defined by it's blade shape, or is the handle shape? The UKPK variant uses a similar drop point. I'd certianly be in for a Stretch with a different blade shape. I'd like to see more steel and scale choices for the Stretch also.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

They had one at the OKCA show last year. It looked good, but really felt like a halfway between a para 2 and an endura.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:And yes the UKPK comes in three blade shapes, and yet those are all UKPKs, but I think that with the Stretch it is a long established model and a much loved design (not by all I know) and to come out with a new blade shape just to make it more widely accepted is kind of...lame.
Sorta like "New Coke"...

:cool:

TedP
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Delica, Endura and Stretch have far more differences than a 50/50 choil. They bite completely different in hand and take up varying degrees of space in the pocket.

I think it makes sense for Spyderco to do something more mainstream with the Stretch blade if they want to hook the non-AFI's. For every 1 person who likes quirky things that were "designed in the dark" , there has to be 9 people (or more) who just want things to look normal/cool.

If the Stretch becomes extinct because it didn't adapt to the market it would be a true shame. Plus, this way us snobs can pull out the old school version and make em all jealous :p .
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote: to come out with a new blade shape just to make it more widely accepted is kind of...lame. There are many many other models that have a leaf shaped blade so why change one that doesn't to suit them?

Isn't that what makes Spyderco great though, listening to its customers? If Spyderco perceives an increased demand for a modified Stretch model shouldn't they invetsigate that potential market? Of course, not everyone will be happy, much as some people still prefer the saber-ground Delicas to the new FFG ones. I don't think the Stretch's legacy would be soiled by releasing an alternate version of the knife, especially if Spyderco continues to offer the "traditional" model much as Benchmade has done with the "Grip" series.
APS

Post by APS »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:but I think that with the Stretch it is a long established model and a much loved design (not by all I know) and to come out with a new blade shape just to make it more widely accepted is kind of...lame.
Wait... isn't that what you were just saying was OK to do to the delica/endura by adding a choil?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I really like the Stretch and a leaf shape would nice. However the straight spined is a NO for me.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
DeathBySnooSnoo

APS wrote:Wait... isn't that what you were just saying was OK to do to the delica/endura by adding a choil?
Only suggesting that because I have seen quite a bit of demand for it. Where as I have seen very little to none for a straight spined Stretch.
Also, I suggest the D/E because basically that is the blade that would be put on the so called Stretch. So why not use the model that it would be like.
Like I said it could be more like a way to save money by using an existing handle and blade...but I still maintain that a Stretch without the Drop point blade isn't a Stretch.
The Police 3 has a choil and never did before...so make the D/E 5 have choils.
On the hunt for...