Amsterdam Meet 2012 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Oops, I forgot to post one pic of the Air that actually illustrated the question I had about the second cutout in the liner. I as referring to an extra cutout – next to the one for the opening hole. And when I saw the pic it made sense. It’s likely made to help unlocking the liner.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

That's what I figured out too.
At this place it provides the most leverage.
Lovely little knife, this one.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

As always Lovely photos, and thank you!
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Mr Blonde

Spyderco Prototype 2012 – Dodo Orange G10 Sprint Run

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Dodo lives again, at least long enough for a sprint run in orange G10. It was Eric’s first design he made for Spyderco back in ’98.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

It features a ‘naked’ ball bearing lock and a single spacer that houses the lock. I love the fact that there are no liners in this knife. Eric was proud to explain that this sprint run was not ‘just the same knife with a color change’. Apparently, the Dodo has been completely re-engineered for this sprint run. This edition uses a blind stop pin and features refinements on the blade’s tang and the ramps for the ball bearing. This sprint Dodo is made to closer tolerances than the first one. The spine of the blade is no longer bead blasted but machined to a nice polish. According to Eric, comparing the first Dodo to this sprint run is good example of the progress the factory in Golden has made over the years.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I have used and carried a Dodo a lot when they first came out, and I still occasionally clip on my blue Dodo. This new sprint run seemed to feel more tightly constructed than the old version, if that makes sense. But I didn’t have my old Dodo to compare the two properly.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Eric did announce a new sprint after this Orange G10. Right now the idea is to make another sprint run with a carbon fiber handle and a ceramic ball. Remember this idea is still long way from production - there was not even a concept model of this proposed idea for a sprint run.
TCRooster

Post by TCRooster »

I'll just add my voice to the chorus. Thank you so much for bringing us these pictures and reviews, Wouter. It is truly a joy to see this coverage every year.

Also, I think the Air is perfect, and I will be putting one in my pocket ASAP! Thank you, Spyderco!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Wouter,
Thank you for your reports from Amsterdam meet. I am waiting for these threads. When I read them I feel like a kid in a candy store. Great reviews and amazing pictures. Orange Dodo looks outstanding. I love old ball lock. Somehow for me it is easier to operate than caged lock. I cannot wait for the rest of the pictures and reviews.
Thank you again.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

My picture of the meeting, not as beautiful as those of Mr. Blonde.
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

Tyler, Fight Club

Geoffrey
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2012 Prototype 2012 – Foundry (Carpenter)

Post by Mr Blonde »

This knife was introduced as a prototype last year; back then it was known as the ‘Carpenter’. It still is being developed for the Carpenter Company. The intention is to have a folding knife made using 100% materials made by Carpenter, with the first run going to its employees.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The knife looks and feels like a solid working folder. The blade is around 3,5 inches long and made from Carpenter’s CTS-XHP steel. According to Spyderco’s testing, the steel’s performance is similar to powdered stainless D2. The handle on this proto is made from Bio-Blu which probably won’t be used in regular production. To me, the material felt a lot like a titanium alloy. It’s reasonably lightweight and the scales were finished like a fine polish. All the edges on the handle were nicely rounded for that ‘melted’ look and feel.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The elongated milling marks at the base of the integral locking liner are the shapes that Spyderco R&D came up with as being the best way to make the locking liner of this handle material.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The tip wasn’t yet perfectly finished on this prototype, you’ll notice that mostly in the spine shot, but I’m sure this will be fixed in final production. I think the Foundry would make a great working folder for a wide variety of utility chores.

Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

Maybe this thread should be in the Gallery forum?

I start a new thread with my poor pics:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post764101
Tyler, Fight Club

Geoffrey
APS

Post by APS »

Mr Blonde wrote:There was an FRN Native at the meet, a very nice model - it reminded me a lot of the lightweight Manix 2. Alas, according to my info it was still a concept model so I can't show it.
Well, at least that gives me hope it might come along soon. Thanks!
Chris_H

My thoughts on the Air's Second Cutout...

Post by Chris_H »

The second cutout in the liner nearer the pivot seemed to be the place where you are supposed to close the liner lock from. Spyderco has certain design requirements for how far the trademark round opening hole is supposed to be from the pivot so that the arc of travel works correctly for deployment.

However, with the Air being so small, that places the usual cutout further down onto the lockbar which makes it harder to disengage. The forward cutout looked to relieve the area needed to get a thumb or finger in deep enough to consistently disengage the lock and forward enough to leverage against the lockbar's spring tension.

I will say too that when I disengaged the lockbar with my thumb from where the round opening hole cutout is, the blade flicked right down onto my fingernail. Had it been factory sharp or as sharp as some of us here make our knives, i would have been pulling the edge back out of my finger[nail].

So, my theory is that the second cutout exists for efficiency and safety.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
osodavis

Post by osodavis »

Wow, great pics as always, Wouter! thanks so much for doing this for all of us who can't be there! I have to admit the Air, while a beautiful knife, just is not for me, while the Dodo, ughh, sorry, it's just hideous. Please don't crucify me, guys, it's just my opinion. Now, that Foundry, on the other hand... I freaking love it! That is one gorgeous knife, that also seems like it will be very functional, and useful in a variety of ways. Also, that nice, smooth drop point is almost the perfect blade shape for a Spyderco, IMO, and it has been driving me crazy that there are nearly no models that use it (or at least current models, that I am aware of...). CTS-XHP is also great steel, so I am reeeeeeeeeeally looking forward to this one!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Thank you Mr. Blonde for being our 'eyes' in Amsterdam.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.