Any word on the Orange Dodo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Thanks Sal.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jtoler_9 wrote:Anybody know when the original black dodo was released? I saw in the discontinued section that it was MSRP $47.00. This new sprint is MSRP $200.00. Times they are a changing.
I think that $47.00 is an error. I got into spydies in 2005. Street price was $85-90. So MSRP should be around $130. The best price, which I recall was at Sierra in summer of 2006 $49.99 for serrated and lasted couple days only. The first catalog, which shows Dodo is 2003.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote: on the Dodo, I received my production sample yesterday. Should be soon.
sal
Thank you Sal.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Seems like that original MSRP has to be a website typo....
jtoler_9 wrote:Anybody know when the original black dodo was released? I saw in the discontinued section that it was MSRP $47.00. This new sprint is MSRP $200.00. Times they are a changing. I still want to get one in hand before I make up my mind on this one. I know that means I might miss out, but the DODO is so different from anything else I have that I want to be sure.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

bh49 wrote:I think that $47.00 is an error. I got into spydies in 2005. Street price was $85-90. So MSRP should be around $130. The best price, which I recall was at Sierra in summer of 2006 $49.99 for serrated and lasted couple days only. The first catalog, which shows Dodo is 2003.
That makes more sense. Thanks for the info. :)
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I'm definitely looking forward to the Orange Dodo!

I've got room for another orange knife!

Looking forward to the orange PM2 also of course! :)
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

So how exactly does pre-order work? I pre-ordered through Knife Center last week. I believe that puts me on the "long shot" of actually getting one. Do companies stop the pre-order once there allotment is reserved? Or do they keep pre-orders open and once they are sold out you are issued a refund?
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

rodloos wrote:I'm definitely looking forward to the Orange Dodo!

I've got room for another orange knife!

Looking forward to the orange PM2 also of course! :)
Great photo. I too am adicted to orange. I envy your collection sir.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jtoler_9 wrote:Anybody know when the original black dodo was released? I saw in the discontinued section that it was MSRP $47.00. This new sprint is MSRP $200.00. Times they are a changing. I still want to get one in hand before I make up my mind on this one. I know that means I might miss out, but the DODO is so different from anything else I have that I want to be sure.
Its like $127 at most preorder places. I would buy one and see what you think. You can return it at many places or sell it online for close to what you paid. A bargain to never trying one and regretting it.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I'd bet that if you don't like the orange Dodo you can sell it for more than you pay for it. But that's just a guess, I'm not anyone's financial, or cutlery, advisor. :D
Blerv wrote:Its like $127 at most preorder places. I would buy one and see what you think. You can return it at many places or sell it online for close to what you paid. A bargain to never trying one and regretting it.
hawaiihunter

Post by hawaiihunter »

The Dodo's extinct, interesting that Spyderco would make them extinct also. :rolleyes:
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Agreed...this will be a popular sprint..
JNewell wrote:I'd bet that if you don't like the orange Dodo you can sell it for more than you pay for it. But that's just a guess, I'm not anyone's financial, or cutlery, advisor. :D
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:Hi Hoss,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

on the Dodo, I received my production sample yesterday. Should be soon.

sal
Sooner than expected, I can't wait to see some pics. :) My wife is gonna kill me for ordering one, but aside from the Jess Horn, this is the one spydie I always wished I had the money for. I can't hardly justify it, but I can't pass it up despite the consequences. :o
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Seven

Post by Seven »

I cant control myself! I bugged my favorite knife shop months before they even took pre orders. AHhhhh
______
Eric.
Seven

Post by Seven »

[ATTACH]19713[/ATTACH]
Attachments
pancakes.jpg
______
Eric.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

"They should be here any day now..." (or at least that's the mantra I've been numbly chanting to myself for the past God-know's how long :rolleyes :) .

Are we there yet?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Seven

Post by Seven »

How long say...production sample to product shipped. :D
______
Eric.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm gonna guess 10-14 days.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Everytime I think about complaining about waiting I just remember the original thread and that people have actually been waiting YEARS for this day to come :p
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

It is awesome to finally see this coming to fruition.

I cannot wait to be carrying an orange dodo with me everywhere I go :D
Vic