Another Help Me Choose Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Holland

Another Help Me Choose Thread

Post by Holland »

Hey all,

Got some extra funds available after getting out of a different hobby. Would like to here some opinions on which set of knives to buy.

Set One:
Large Sebenza,
DragonFly ZPD

Set Two:
Small Sebenza,
Gayle Bradley

Set Three:
Sage 2,
Gayle Bradley,
DPX HEST

Set Four:
Small Sebenza,
DPX HEST

Thanks,
Spencer
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Well...if you are committed to those sets...then Set 2 all the way.

You just will not get a better knife from Spyderco (or any other production company) than the GB, and the Sebenza is a really exceptional knife.
On the hunt for...
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Set 2. Small Sebbie is a great little EDC knife and the GB will handle bigger jobs AND be a good large EDC. My large Sebbie gets no love. :)

DPX HEST gets disqualified in my mind but don't let my opinions stop you. Do some background research and make your own choice.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

Set One.
Make sure you get a Sebbie with inlays. For the little initial up-front investment, it will pay dividends over the long run. Trust me, you'll regret it if you don't. :) I have large hands, and if you do too, the small Sebbie just won't feel comfortable. Finally, the DPx is a no-go from the start. :mad: As was said before, do some searching about RYP before you even think about the knife. I hope this helps you to reach a decision.
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

rg02

Post by rg02 »

Set 2 gets my vote
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

2 for me, i am carrying my Bradley right now.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

If I had that kind of money, I'd go with set 2.
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

the only one i havent had is the gayle Bradley-

had the zdp dfly now for a few weeks-love it

the dpx hest is a beast for the 175 i paid-great steel over built

substitute the sage 3 for the 2 imho-the color is awesome and the lock rocks

3 locks with 3 steels in 3 sizes ;)
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

dsmegst wrote:Set 2. Small Sebbie is a great little EDC knife and the GB will handle bigger jobs AND be a good large EDC. My large Sebbie gets no love. :)

DPX HEST gets disqualified in my mind but don't let my opinions stop you. Do some background research and make your own choice.
I would say Set 2 but take the DPX out and put the Dragonfly ZDP in.....then it would be excellent! IMHO....
Holland

Post by Holland »

I love everything about the sebenza's the only thing that bugs me is the opening. I keep hearing its super smooth and what not, but it bothers me that u cant flick it open. It would be nice to know i could open it fast if i needed to.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

That is why to get set 2. The GB can be flicked open fast and is really smooth too.
On the hunt for...
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Holland wrote:I love everything about the sebenza's the only thing that bugs me is the opening. I keep hearing its super smooth and what not, but it bothers me that u cant flick it open. It would be nice to know i could open it fast if i needed to.
There's no reason why you can't quickly flick it open if the need arises. The standing advice is that a lot of hard flicks will cause premature peening of some surfaces and throw the tolerances out of whack. This goes for any folder though. Ti just happens to be a bit softer than hardened steel so the wear is accelerated. Why wear out a premium folder?

I bought myself a Delica trainer to play with. I can flick that as much as I want and I won't even get cut if I lose control. :)

Good luck with your choice.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
jossta

Post by jossta »

This is probably not going to be helpful, but I say VECP and Gayle Bradley :) .
Holland

Post by Holland »

jossta wrote:This is probably not going to be helpful, but I say VECP and Gayle Bradley :) .
That knife is beautiful, I'm definitely considering that now, just going to have to ask how strong/soft the TI lock is.

Thanks for showing me this.
jossta

Post by jossta »

The action and lock up on my VECP is better than any knife I've ever had. I've flicked it open probably a minimum of 50 times a day, sometimes much much more for the past 5 or so months and the lockup is still rock solid.

The pivot is tightened down enough so that when you release the lock, the blade doesn't just drop, but it still flicks open easily with very little thumb pressure and there is ZERO play in any direction. Detent is perfect too. Haven't carried another knife since I got it.

Here's mine w/ my FM1 (don't have that anymore):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrVOpQa3-j4

And w/ the fixed VECP in 3v:

Slash

Post by Slash »

Those sets looks to be just about $500-600?

Set 5
Spyderco Lionspy,
Sage 4=
$468
:)
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

ooooh, I like this, personally I'd take set 2. :)
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I agree about getting the inlay on the Sebenza well worth it. As far as large or small that's a tough one, I have a small Sebe but I kind of wish I bought the large the price is very similar and as time goes on I just find I prefer larger folders. As far as flicking, you can it just isn't as flickable as some and it is such a fine quality knife you kind of don't want to.
The new Zero Tolerance 560 or 561 is ultimately flick-able if that's what your after (you need to get on a waiting list for that one) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq05jo1viHw
I don't own a Gayle Bradley but there aren't too many dissatisfied customers with that knife not to mention Spyderco's Taiwan knives are so well finished.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

the other CRK folder is flickable, with the studs, whatever it's called. people flick those.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks