People who claim having military awards that don't.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

People who claim having military awards that don't.

Post by jackknifeh »

This story caught my eye. It may become illegal for someone to openly state or claim they have a medal of honor (for example) if they were never awarded the medal. It might be an interesting read.

http://news.yahoo.com/high-court-dilemm ... 20506.html

I don't know why I thought this subject might be interesting here. :rolleyes:

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd vote for it. The men and women who earn those titles put their lives on the line to earn them and running your mouth saying you did the same is disgusting IMO.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Think you have it backward, Jack. The "stolen valor" law currently exists, and has for several years. This case is to determine if it is Constitutional.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Besides the moral depravity of pretending to be a vet there are huge potential abuse issues. Just think about the trust, admiration and desire to help such a person. All they have to do is ask and people write checks without thinking.

People who commit such fraud are at the bottom of the barrel IMHO. Lie about fighting in an underground circuit or being chased by a grizzly; don't tug at emotional/patriotic heart-strings.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey guys,
i've known a couple guys that served in the gulf war, not to mention family members that served in korea, vietnam, and even in japan and germany.
all those brave fellows were very humble about their service and would have done without before using their military background as a way to get a handout.
i have the utmost repect for anyone who sacrifices for the freedoms we have and take for granted.
just my $.02
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hey Don,

Hope you didnt take that as an assumption that all vets are looking for something for free. I have friends and family members who are and as you said they typicially are the strong silent type. True hero's don't typicially pat their own backs unlike these fakers.

My only point is saying you are a vet naturally drops people's defenses. They trust you. It's up to the intentions of the speaker at that point to abuse that trust or not. Kristi had to ban such a person who was looking for handouts...fortunately his story was FULL of holes and she's a sharp lady :) .
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Despite this person's behavior being disgusting and immoral I think the Supreme Court may find this law to be unconstitutional. Now if a person lies about this in an attempt to receive goods, services or monetary gain then I think it would be upheld. I'm not familiar enough with this case and the article didn't go into a lot of detail.
People who make claims like this lack any integrity and are cowards.

Dan
:spyder:
Dan
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It would be funny if all cases like this were tried in military court. Not probable but ironically delicious :) .
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

For the record, it was against the law before the SVA to falsely claim an MOH... only award with that protection. And of course, regardless of whether you claim military service... defrauding people or agencies is against the law. Point in fact, all the SVA does is make it illegal to be a jerk. Maybe it is just me, but I don't really think the government should get to punish people for being jerks. I prefer having these people publicly outted and humiliated. Just... not arrested. It is easy to support the right to free speech when you like what somebody has to say, supporting it when the person speaking is a detestable scumbag is when your faith in the whole concept gets tested :p .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:Think you have it backward, Jack. The "stolen valor" law currently exists, and has for several years. This case is to determine if it is Constitutional.
I stand corrected.

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't think people typicially stop with the bar story and showing scars. They tend to capitalize on it.

If they don't is it a factor of "wouldn't" or "didn't yet"?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Can't let the government start arresting people for crimes they might commit... that road ends at scary places.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm not going down that road. It's just a question of giving someone the tools and assuming their semi-good nature will kick in. Similar how impersonating a police officer doesn't have fine print.

Plus it's better to make it against the law than have a crowd of "good ol boys" find out and decide to beat the patriotism back into them.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Blerv wrote:Plus it's better to make it against the law than have a crowd of "good ol boys" find out and decide to beat the patriotism back into them.
Agree to disagree I guess :p .
- Theodore Roosevelt

sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Blerv wrote:Hey Don,

Hope you didnt take that as an assumption that all vets are looking for something for free. I have friends and family members who are and as you said they typicially are the strong silent type. True hero's don't typicially pat their own backs unlike these fakers.

My only point is saying you are a vet naturally drops people's defenses. They trust you. It's up to the intentions of the speaker at that point to abuse that trust or not. Kristi had to ban such a person who was looking for handouts...fortunately his story was FULL of holes and she's a sharp lady :) .
hey blerv,
i didn't think that at all.
i know a couple of rolling thunder members, and they are outspoken concerning their service, but do so to advocate the sacrifice they and others have made, and to bring attention to vets that deserve more praise for their losses and hardship.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Lying should not be illegal but fraud should be.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Maybe i'm just jaded. I pass quite a few Vietnam vets every day standing by the on-ramp. At least that's what the cardboard says.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I agree that unless claims like this are use to defraud people that public shaming and the like would be more appropriate. I volunteer to assist in said shaming if it is helpful.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

OldSarSwmr wrote:Now if a person lies about this in an attempt to receive goods, services or monetary gain then I think it would be upheld. I'm not familiar enough with this case and the article didn't go into a lot of detail.

Dan
But that's kind of the point of the law. Unlike lying about your conquests while in high school, the size of the fish you caught last year, or how fast the Camaro you use to own could go, lying about service is almost always done to gain some advantage. Which is not to say the Supreme Court will allow the law to stand.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

The Deacon wrote:But that's kind of the point of the law. Unlike lying about your conquests while in high school, the size of the fish you caught last year, or how fast the Camaro you use to own could go, lying about service is almost always done to gain some advantage. Which is not to say the Supreme Court will allow the law to stand.
Then the law is redundant and unnecessary, as it is already illegal to obtain goods, services, or money by fraudulent means. :)
- Theodore Roosevelt