A big DIS to german customs!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

this is already sounds better. I hope after all these trouble you will finally will get your knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Thats' good to hear, toomzz.

And you're welcome!
bchan

Post by bchan »

toomzz wrote:Even in times of peace a gentleman keeps his sword by his side
I like your signature. Hope everything turns out happily for you.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

The saga continues; yesterday I got another I-am-so-sorry-letter (the third) from DHL. Again, no solutions be mentioned. I am really getting fed-up with those guys, will give them a call (again) today, I think, followed by a letter to some chief or CEO.
Knife safely returned to seller, there is no problem at all.
Tom
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Sorry to hear that - sounds like you are stuck in one of those "GroundHog Day" loops. :(

We had similar issues here when a chap got his UKPK seized. He phoned and the officer he spoke to agreed that it must be legal and he'd write a letter to that effect ... but the letter he got later repeated that it was illegal ... it's just mind-blowingly stupid bureaucracy!
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Cheddarnut wrote:People need to start using other cutlery as weapons, lets see if we can get spoons banned too. Maybe cheese graters.
I'd laugh. But I can honestly see some pathetic hoplophobe proposing such a ban in some foreign nations.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Monocrom wrote:I'd laugh. But I can honestly see some pathetic hoplophobe proposing such a ban in some foreign nations.
Being from NYC I imagine you can. Hope things work out well for Toomz.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Well, I gave them another call and the guy told report to the headoffice in Hamburg about my claim to get 28,95 US$ back S&H from DHL. I gave him all needed specifications to get that money back. I asked 'if he realized that I was fed up with DHL, wanted my money back and felt angry with them' (yeah, that communication-course really works :) ) Good hopes now. Waiting for another official reply of DHL. The Ayoob is about to begin its second trip to mainland Europe, fingers crossed.... To be continued....
Tom
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hi guys,

well, made up my mind and sent a letter to the top of DHL regarding my 29 US$ (LOL)
No one pisses in my yard unless I say so!

cheers,
Tomas

Dear sir,

First my apologies for the English. I am dutch and German is not my native language; in English I can express myself better; both rationally as emotionally.

In january 2012 I ordered a pocketknife in the US on Ebay. I paid for it, paid shipping and handling through Paypal and the parcel was sent on its way to Germany (ECXXXXXXXus).
I followed its shipping on track and trace and short before the 20th of january I sent an email to DHL where my parcel was. I received a reply that it was handed over to customs to tax the imported product. I waited some time and contacted DHL again, by phone and by email. To make a long story short finally after a couple of letters from DHL I got the answer that ‘the parcel had been send back to the US’.

Reason, apparantly, was first that the ‘knife was not allowed in Germany’ and later the fact that ‘customs held it in storage, contacted me, and because I did not reply, sent it back to the US’.
Let me totally clear to you; I was NEVER contacted, neither by DHL or customs that my parcel was there. Second, I am, as knifemaker and collector, fully aware of all European laws regarding knives and cutlery. As a lawman myself I also understand all kind of rules regarding importing goods, taxes and other laws but what happened here can not be true.

My compliments to the way your people handled my complaint on the telephone. My complaint is about the fact that your company (or customs) send back an item I paid for including the shippingservice you should provide without involving me. During this whole episode I only received letters from you with only ‘we are sorry’ but no real solution. That is why I address you now.
Now the knife is again, from the US, on its way to me, (parcel ECXXXXXXXus) and I had to pay the shipping costs again (US$ 28,95). Why do I have to pay for a mistake I did not make?

This is what I would like to be done. I hold you responsible for the double shippingpayment and I simply want to be paid back the US$ 28,95 by the one who made the mistake. That is neither me, neither my seller XXXXXX in the US. My bankaccount-number is XXXXXXXX

I hope you understand both my dissappointment and anger regarding this matter. Finally I hope that my goods will finally reach me now (ECXXXXXXXus) without any bump this time. In the near future I hope this will not happen again. To be honest, so far this is the first bad experience and hopefully the last one. Hoping to hear from you soon, thank you so far for the cooperation.
Tom
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I hate bureaucrats.
Sorry for you trouble again.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

All of this is highly unusual. I think you should contact the responsible customs office too. Seems like someone on their part screwed up, not only DHL. Basically DHL just enforce what customs tell them to, so a complaint at the Zoll is appropriate. They were the ones who sat on their butts for days, without contacting you and then decided to have the knife returned.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I already did that Maurice. I asked DHL to put me through with the responsible bureau or person, but they said that was impossible.
My here published letter is totally clear. I don't give a rat's A&& who is paying. Let them sort out who is responsible for real.

Guess what I picked up this morning at Zollamt Emmerich.......a fresh razorsharp Massad Ayoob. The knife is in, now my double S&H, so I am not done yet. The knife will be named 'double ocean', for passing the Atlantic twice....Picture will follow...
Tom
Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

Did you mention all the hassle to the people at Emmerich? I'm certain that they can help you out. DHL will stonewall and try their best to simply ignore you. Customs have procedures for everything, you might be more successful working things out with them, or at least get some advice.

At least you had more luck this time. Did you scare the guys at the Zoll-Amt? ;) What's the dutch term for "bouble ocean"?
bchan

Post by bchan »

Good grief, I can't believe the time and trouble you have to go through to get this knife, and I admire your persistence as well. Congrats on finally getting the knife your want!
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

here she is.......

Everyone I showed it today at work was struck by, let`s say, its `assertive appearance`. I avoided any NKP during my show off ...LOL. I love the ergos, feel and fit and superslim IWBcarry of this knife. One heck of a SDer.

:o
Attachments
011 (640x480) (300x225).jpg
Tom
Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

How dare you import such a dangerous killing instrument into our pacifist country? :D
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Mr_Moe wrote:What's the dutch term for "bouble ocean"?
double ocean in Dutch.....hmm.......dubbelwater? doppelwasser?
Tom
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Ach Maurice, egal oder was? Das Messer hat mich endlich erreicht, das ist das meist Wichtige, sonst nicht. Jetzt noch den 22 euro zuruck und dann bin ich zufrieden....
Mr_Moe wrote:How dare you import such a dangerous killing instrument into our pacifist country? :D
Tom
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Congrats. It's good to hear you finally received your knife. Let's hope you get the money for one S&H charge back, too.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Well, the saga continues, so to say. My letter reached the ´Geschäftsführer' ('departmentschief') and they replied it in an email yesterday. They will get to bottom of it and will get back to me......Once again to be continued.
Tom