We're back.... Report Issues Here!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Kristi should probably noted it here as well, for the benefit of those who didn't see/read the announcement at the top of the page on each subforum but they are aware of the issues with the missing smilies, edit tools, and avatars.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I hate change... but I'll live :)

Hey, I was remembered when I logged back on - that never worked before.

Can you please make the thread titles a bit bolder than the text underneath them? It's hard to quickly skim through. Thanks for all your hard work.

- best wishes, Jazz.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Jay_Ev wrote:Hopefully this will help with the smilies until they get things worked out:

Thanks for this Jay. Sometimes I use MS Word to type longer posts. It spell checks and I can save it if I want. With your list I can add smilies in MS Word. Normally I have put a few astrisks where a smilie would go. After I paste it into the forum I'll look for the astrisks and add the smilie.

I found out something (off topic) the other day. In yahoo mail if you hold the cursor over a smilie the descriptive word AND the "what to type" info is there also. Kind of cool.

Jack
jackknifeh

To Kristi

Post by jackknifeh »

Kristi,

I've noticed some things have been fixed. Thank you and the programmers. Can you place a post here when an issue is resolved? Not necessarily immediately of course. You are busy I know. If I need to wait 40 or 45 seconds I'll understand. :) I had to type the smilie. :( Also, some features seem to come and go. I could have swore I had the option to preview the post but now I don't see the button.

I also see words duplicated when they "word wrap". When I submit the post it looks ok but it's confusing while I'm typing.

I still don't know how to post pictures.

I'm not complaining or rushing you but if you could post when an issue is resolved along with brief instructions I would appreciate it. I'm sure others would as well.

Thank you,
Jack

PS edit: I just noticed my avatar is gone now. It was there before, after the upgrade I mean.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Love the new look but see no avatars.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

im not sure if this has been posted and i am just too lazy to read thru 5 pages, sorry. when i click onto the main page from my favories links, i get to the main page where i am not logged in. when i click on a sub group like "off topic" it remembers me all of a sudden. it isnt bugging me but i thought you might want to know about it.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

tonydahose wrote:im not sure if this has been posted and i am just too lazy to read thru 5 pages, sorry. when i click onto the main page from my favories links, i get to the main page where i am not logged in. when i click on a sub group like "off topic" it remembers me all of a sudden. it isnt bugging me but i thought you might want to know about it.
Tony it is doing the same thing with me too.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I seem to be having trouble logging in using Internet Explorer today. I can put in my username and password, and I get the thanks for logging in screen. Then it takes me to the home page and I am not logged in. I have to use FireFox to log in. I have this same problem on BladeForums. not sure if there is an incompatibility problem with certain versions of internet explorer. I just thought I would let you know.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi guys, most of the things will be very obvious when they are fixed. If something is more detailed than yes, I will post it. I am going to ask that you please remain patient as my "day job" keeps me busy all by itself. And nothing personal jackknifeh, but the men and women serving our country (and other countries) trump the forum. :) I have no doubt that you will all understand that.

The avatars, smilies and edit tools were all present when I tested the software before I turned the forum back on. So, it's an odd issue but we'll figure out the cause and fix it.

As for why the upgrade was necessary, Deacon has done a perfect job of explaining it for me (thank you Paul). The older versions of VBulletin software are no longer being supported. Aside from making future upgrades difficult there was also a security risk. Using older software left the forum and all of our members vulnerable to various attacks. Those with less than honorable intentions are getting smarter and more creative all the time. Upgrading was the best way to keep all of you safe.

As for pictures, you need to be in the "Advanced" posting window, scroll down and you'll see "Additional Options", the second option is "Attachments". Click on the "Manage Attachments" button and a new window will open that will allow you to upload an image. If you click on the blue question mark in that window you'll see a list of acceptable image files/sizes. Just follow the prompts there to upload. It's formatted differently, but the feature is essentially the same. The default seems to be to drop the text attaching the image to the top of the post. I can't change that (that I know of right now anyway) but if you just cut and paste the text for the image "[ATTACH] 19547 [/ATTACH]" (shown with spaces so you can see the coding only) you can move it wherever you want it in your post.

Here's one of my favorites (just add teeth) [ATTACH]19547[/ATTACH].

I'll post more as I know more.

Thanks!

Kristi
Attachments
C70_M.jpg
There is nothing more important than this one day.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Edit tools, avatars and smilies are back. ;) We had to reset the formatting for how the forum appears on a mobile device, but that was the only way to correct these issues. Thanks to our webmaster, Craig, for finding the needle in the haystack! :D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I just loaded a new avatar picture to the site, and voila! It is visible again.

Keep up the good work guys. You're getting there!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Jay_Ev

Issue with search results

Post by Jay_Ev »

Here is an issue I discovered while doing a search. I did a simple search for "matriarch" and when the results came back, they are in no discernible order that I could see. The dates are all over the place. I didn't see any way to "sort" the search results by date, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

jtoler_9 wrote:I seem to be having trouble logging in using Internet Explorer today. I can put in my username and password, and I get the thanks for logging in screen. Then it takes me to the home page and I am not logged in. I have to use FireFox to log in. I have this same problem on BladeForums. not sure if there is an incompatibility problem with certain versions of internet explorer. I just thought I would let you know.
I have this same problem on my wife's computer. Once in a while I get logged into the forum after several tries. Most of the time I give up. I figured it is a setting in IE or McAfee security settings. I don't really know though. Since you have the issue on BF also I'm guessing it is something to do with your PC and my wife's PC. This issue was there on my wife's computer before this forum's upgrade. I can't see it happening as a result of the upgrade. If it just started happening to you that's another question. Has anything changed on your PC recently? MS security (or other) update maybe? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Jack
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Kristi, thanks for the heads up. Avatars look good now and I see a couple of other fixes as well. Liking the upgrade overall so far., and it's good to have the forum software up to date even if there are some differences in the interface. Will report here if I see anything that I think could use some attention.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jay_Ev wrote:Here is an issue I discovered while doing a search. I did a simple search for "matriarch" and when the results came back, they are in no discernible order that I could see. The dates are all over the place. I didn't see any way to "sort" the search results by date, etc.
Am guessing that the default sort order has changed. Know it use to be Date Order for Advanced Searches, now it's Relevance there, but Date Ascending and Date Dessending are still options. Imagine it changed for simple searches too, although I honestly can't remember ever using anything but advanced. It probably can be changed back, although it may take a while given that Kristi's supply of round tewits and in great demand at the moment.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I just clicked on the link in my email and now I go to the middle of the thread somewhere instead of the end. This is kind of inconvenient. This has been going on for a few days.

When I was done posting I noticed there wasn't a way to go to the different places like General Discussion, Off-Topic, etc at the bottom or top of the page. I had to use the FORUM button at the top of the page and start there to get here to post this.

Jack
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Auto Save Feature is now explained in the FAQ section. You can find it here, http://www.spyderco.com/forums/faq.php? ... g_deleting just scroll down a bit.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

jackknifeh wrote:I just clicked on the link in my email and now I go to the middle of the thread somewhere instead of the end. This is kind of inconvenient. This has been going on for a few days.

When I was done posting I noticed there wasn't a way to go to the different places like General Discussion, Off-Topic, etc at the bottom or top of the page. I had to use the FORUM button at the top of the page and start there to get here to post this.

Jack
Jack, I need a little clarification. When you say you clicked on a link in your e-mail what e-mail are you referring to? Is it an e-mail regarding a thread that you are subscribed to? Please be as detailed as possible with issues and I can try and assist you.

There is still a Quick Navigation feature at the bottom of your screen. Look just below where page numbers appear. ;)
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey kristi,
glad you're getting things worked out.
i like the new layout too!
one thing i've noticed that i'm not sure anyone's mentioned.
clicked on the calendar icon and noticed that mines stuck on december 2010.
no big deal, just thought you might like to know.
thanks for all the hard work!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Another minor nit is that the "View first unread" link is still in a black font on the black bar - Once I know it is there I can click it, but i sure spent some time trying to find that link that I knew should be there :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)