What's with all the new $$$ "tactical" pens?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

Another way to separate you from you money while making you feel tacticool.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Here ya go, ss Sharpie vs ss Sharpie pen. Forgive the cell phone picture.

They are also refillable, if it's a concern.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I have a "tactical pen" made by sarge. I got it for 10 bucks at a.gun show. It takes parker refills and writes like a dream. What I like about it is it has a deep pocket clip on it and the cap does click to the end.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

They are not my thing. I'd much rather carry a Surefire or a 4Sevens light for SD than a pen. Plus if you really want a kick butt SD Pen Cold Steel makes the Sharkie. I have one in my car and carry it if I can't carry anything else where I'm going (along with a light). I did sand off the logo however. I got the Sharkie free with a knife order once. If you need to buy one I think they are less than $10.

No way I'm going to spend that kind of money on a pen unless it's a Waterman.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Slash wrote:This would be my choice. http://www.knifeworks.com/4sevenstitani ... alpen.aspx
It's all about the fisher refill. This pen is designed around it. You can check out nutnfancy shot show 2012 4sevens on youtube for more info. They even point out a good purpose for the cap and it not fitting on the pen to write with it.
Those just looking for the pen can jump ahead to 12:35 but, as with many things, there are two schools of thought on pen caps. IMHO, making them not stay on the pen does little to prevent folks you loan them to walking off with them. Worked shipping and receiving about ten years. We used "stick" type pens, threw the caps away, and still had hundreds walk off capless during that time. As with most things in life, YMMV, but IMHO it's a **** of a lot easier to "just say no" to borrowers than to be forced to hold the cap in one hand, or risk having it go missing, while you write with the other.
Zenith wrote:I just checked, the SW one I have can also take the Fisher refill.

Must say that working on a drilling site and in the field the pen has taken a few knocks. Still going strong.

Might invest in the SW MP (thanks for the advice) later on, till then I really can't complain.
I will check that out the next time my M&P needs a refill. I was surprised to find that Fisher refills are easier to find around here than Parker so it will be convenient if it can use one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I checked a number of the more expensive "tactical" pens--most looked more like pointed weapons than writing instruments, which made me uncomfortable (even though I carry Spydercos daily). I finally found one that actually (so far) has been a great pen, which also had all the advantages of the tactical types but didn't attract much attention when used (except for a few "cool pen" comments). And, most important for me, it has a twist mechanism instead of a cap and isn't overly large or heavy. It's called the United Cutlery Defense Pen and can be found on eBay and elsewhere for less than $20. It comes in all black or a darkish gray. I've been carrying it almost every day in my LF pocket and have been very happy with it. I have not yet, though, used it for air travel [or in SD :) ], so I can't say if it would be flagged by the TSA.
girlyMANN

Post by girlyMANN »

g'wad knows how much was spent developing a pen which "writes in space".
the soviets simply use a pencil...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Pen
likewise, a tactical pen is spelt with the word "tactical" in front.
one would have thought that tactical pen designers/makers would naturally have know better.
They need to produce a true ergonomic writing instrument first and only then start to even consider other non-writing applications for their pens.
which for many buyers would turn out to be probably nothing more than a passing secondary fancy.
despite what some models cost, tactical pens are perhaps a step down when it comes to the cool factor in comparison to those early ninja hidden knife pens.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Space Pen was privately funded by Fisher and conveniently endorsed by NASA due to timing. If the pencil was developed in the 60's then brought to space it would have been chastised as a waste of Soviet government funds. :)
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

On the back of this thread I did some Googling to see if I "needed" (:rolleyes :) a tactical pen ... and came to a few conclusions:
  • they're as ugly as sin and clearly look 'tactical' enough to qualify as a kubotan in the eyes of most police ... thus getting you a trip to the cells if you were found with one in certain circumstances
  • they probably require a considerable amount of training to be able to use one in any way shape or form that could be considered effective self-defense
  • the only other use is as a glass-breaker and I'd rather have one of those in-car units instead
  • I'd rather get a 'nice' looking pen that doesn't make me look like a wannabe ninja :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
BAL

Post by BAL »

Thanks for the info guys. I also carry an Insight HX 150 and an HX 120. They are great lights and
have a nice feel in your hand as a weapon. There is a bevel on the light end foir a striking edge as
well. I haven't had any big issues getting in with one, but I have had them looked over. I was told
to leave it behind the next time I came once, so I have been leaving it back with other good stuff.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Knifewing wrote:I checked a number of the more expensive "tactical" pens--most looked more like pointed weapons than writing instruments, which made me uncomfortable (even though I carry Spydercos daily). I finally found one that actually (so far) has been a great pen, which also had all the advantages of the tactical types but didn't attract much attention when used (except for a few "cool pen" comments). And, most important for me, it has a twist mechanism instead of a cap and isn't overly large or heavy. It's called the United Cutlery Defense Pen and can be found on eBay and elsewhere for less than $20. It comes in all black or a darkish gray. I've been carrying it almost every day in my LF pocket and have been very happy with it. I have not yet, though, used it for air travel [or in SD :) ], so I can't say if it would be flagged by the TSA.
what refills does it take?
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

this is kind of on topic...sort of. my wife is a teacher so she writes alot. i bought her one of these pens

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/ ... azing-pen/

and then a mont blanc refill and put the two together. video below shows how to do it. not tactical but a nice writing pen for cheap :)

WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

this is kind of on topic...sort of. my wife is a teacher so she writes alot. i bought her one of these pens

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Limited-Ret ... B0010NL4BU

and then a mont blanc refill and put the two together. video below shows how to do it. not tactical but a nice writing pen for cheap :)

WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
angusW

Post by angusW »

flash900 wrote:Thanks for all the responses.

Are any of these models clickies, eliminating the need for a cap?
Here's one that's retractable, has nice clean modest lines (i.e. doesn't look like a weapon) and is made in the U.S.

http://maxmadco.com/products/retractable-pen/
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

Zenith wrote:I have a Smith & Wesson one I bought for work. **** fine if you ask me except the cap can't be put on the but and stay there.

I wanted something that will keep dirt away from the tip and it works well.

Fillinf can be replaced with a Parker one later so that's a plus for me.

Its a nice pen and I am happy, don't care for the 'tactical' selling point.
I have a Schrade with the same problem as your S&W. The damned cap just won't stay on. Lousy refill too which I swapped for a Parker Gel. It would be a decent pen if I didn't have to worry about losing the cap. Waste of $25 since it just sits in the drawer.
justinl

Post by justinl »

I have the united cutlery pen too but I've been leaving it at home because it takes a bit of scratching on paper to get it writing. Just a bum cartridge even thought it's new. The twist mechanism is great and the body is quite attractive without screaming tacticool. I've been meaning to try and replace the cartridge with a fisher if it fits but I don't know what refills would work. The clip seems a little flimsy but I haven't snapped it yet!
rg02

Post by rg02 »

i decided against the tactical pen and just went with the fisher space bullett(for now :D )
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

flash900 wrote:Anybody tried one?

Are they really good for that purpose?

And how well do they write?

Anyone compared and reviewed them?
I have a small collection of them.

Most are not. I'd recommend the one sold through CountyComm. But avoid the ones in various colors, even black. The finish scratches off too easily. My S.S. variation is a nice one, but not everyone can put up with the increased weight.

Most are not designed for writing comfort. You carry them and use them for Self-Defense when needed, or as back-up pens in case your main pen runs out of ink. I will say though that the Schrade Tactical Pen, the first one not the current variation, is surprisingly comfortable for use as a writing pen. Ironically, it's too slippery for use as a tactical one though.

I have. One particular review of mine show-cased the ridiculous short-comings of the Fred Perrin tactical pen. Normally, I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Perrin. However, unlike the Hinderer tactical pen which was designed and made from the ground up, Perrin's tactical offering was a cheap metal pen he found, and decided to put his name on the flimsy plastic clips. Very disappointing.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
wow

Post by wow »

I have no clue what the point of a "Tactical Pen" is. Can't you just use a regular pen?
My Knives

:spyder: UKPK (Gray, Drop Point, PlainEdge)
:spyder: Bug
Kershaw Chill
Gerber Ripstop 1 (Plain Edge)

My Multi Tools

Leatherman Blast
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have the Schrade. I will probably get a fisher refill, but it is very well made. used it to jack up a car in a pinch. It also came with a fountain point and cartridges. Pretty cool.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!