Knife law's in canada

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ddop6

Knife law's in canada

Post by ddop6 »

Do you think i could possibly get a manix2 to canada? I'd like to get one before they switch to S30V.
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

You can buy them in Canada. W&W has them for sure and there is a place in Ontario that has them as well.
ddop6

Post by ddop6 »

Thanks man, im just going with an endura instead.
AfriadOfSpyders

Post by AfriadOfSpyders »

Canada's knife laws are fairly vague, but overall lax. There isn't really a limit to blade length. Just the way the knife opens limits the knifes that are legal. As long as its not concealed, you should be fine. I talked to an employee at House of Knifes and they said that you can carry a broad sword down the street without it being illegal, as long as it's not concealed and you don't have the intent on using it on someone. He said as long as the clip or part/all of the knife is visible, it's not considered concealed.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I believe that technically (in Canada) we just can't carry a "concealed weapon". If your knife isn't being carried with the intent to be used as a weapon then you can conceal it in the bottom of your pocket with no issues.

That being said, the police here have a lot of personal discretion as to what they believe your intent is. If you are ever being questioned by an officer and they ask you what your knife is for, do not say its for self defense.
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

I wouldn't chance shipping a ball bearing lock to Canada as it could be considered a gravity knife by customs. I've ordered over twenty knives mostly lockbacks with no problems but had a 707 confiscated because they said it could be a gravity knife. Both axis and ball bearing locks operate about the same way. It's funny you could buy any of those knives in canada though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Current Spydie Count 21
ddop6

Post by ddop6 »

Yeah the local house of knives where i live got shut down, some guy walked through the mall with a sword from the store without paying for it, and people got scared. So i really have no local knife shop. I wish the manix 1 was still in production. Would the PM2 be considered a gravity knife aswell?
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

Customs will confiscate occasional folders but I have brought hundreds into the country and only had 2 confiscated. What they will take is fairly arbitrary as any folder can be considered a gravity knife depending on the inspector.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

I've seen the Manix and Paramilitary for sale from at least two Canadian websites, both are legal.
Customs can take what they want if they 'feel' it's not legal, doesn't mean it is illegal, but better they err on the side of caution. People that have ordered things like Enduras (lockback, clearly not gravity knife ect) have asked the sellers to tighten the pivot as much as possible just to be safe that it cannot be swung open gravity style.
I've heard we can't get the Baliyo pens past customs though, its clearly not a knife but again its customs call.

I personally would feel the Manix would have no problem crossing the boarder, I have done package inspection for outbound shipments to other countries but never inbound and either way I'm not customs.

What everyone says is more or less true, no length limit, only 'intent' which is a discretion call (and may result in the knife being confiscated but you not charged or being charged and not found guilty, and/or having the knife returned later) and how it opens (Gravity, balisong, switchblade).

If your unsure look up the laws, you can apparently call/mail them for details-I don't know how, or what I would do is order from a Canadian vendor who shouldn't have it if it's illegal.

When I bought my Endura many coworkers and friends tried to convince me that was illegal due to length, don't believe the hype. Other than no balisongs we have rather lax knife laws, just use common sense and don't appear sketchy.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

While I obviously cannot speak for customs agents, I can say that I have shipped 3 Manix2 up to Canada from the US and I haven't had an issue with any of them. They all arrived here shiny and new and without any problems from customs.

Having the pivot tightening is a smart idea though. In fact it probably is a good idea on any knife you are shipping across a border.
On the hunt for...
ddop6

Post by ddop6 »

Yeah, thank you guys.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

BTW S&R knives has it listed at $78.99 on their website, which is a pretty good price.
On the hunt for...