Spyderco Nishijin Anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WalzAaronFFG

Spyderco 'R' Anyone?

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Hey all,

I just found a few in-stock Nishijins at one of my retailers and was curious if anyone had any more up-close and personal pics of one yet. I don't see a product announcement from Spyderco, but these are CC#'d blades so I guess that makes sense.

I would LOVE to see some better images of one.

Anyone? Bueller?
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Are you talking of the "R" model using the Nishijin glass fiber?

If so, Blade HQ has an awesome vid on Youtube. It's like 2.5 mins long with great camera work.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Just to clarify, I don't think the knife is called the "Nishijin". I think that's just the handle material. The knife itself is the "R3". :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

You guys are right, my fault. Saw them on Howe's and guess I missed the 'R'

Maybe I missed it in the 2012 catalog. Anyway, I guess i'll take a look at the BladeHQ vid.

Thanks for the clarification :)

Edit: Watched the video and WOW. It's gorgeous. I really would love one, but the 3.5" blade is a kind of a killer for me. I like the abruptness of the thumb ramp. Just like my Caly 3 CF, I don't mind the smooth handle scales as long as the thumb ramp and choil are jimped aggressively enough to make up for it. Guess the Caly 3 shall remain in my pocket a bit longer.

I prefer 3" blades just for legality reasons in my area. Plus my knives don't do much heavy lifting so having a blade much larger than 3 isn't really necessary.

I think the AIR or the Techno will be my next carry knife. Maybe both :)
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

Spyderco Navaja
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Lum Chinese with Nishijin scales has been out for over a year now.
:bug-red-white
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I have a Nishijin Lum Chinese and I'm thoroughly impressed with the scales. They are amazing in photos and videos but in person, the 3D effect of the design really comes through. I'll be getting one or maybe even two.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

gbelleh wrote:The Lum Chinese with Nishijin scales has been out for over a year now.
+1

I'm getting the impression from reading many posts that a lot of people aren't aware of this. :confused:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

The Nishijin Lum was pretty successful IIRC. I have one and LOVE the scales. When I saw the R, I knew I had to have one. Should have one at home Saturday when I get back from my trip. I love the flat spine of the blade of the older design Spydies. My R will be soooo cool!!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Jay_Ev wrote:+1

I'm getting the impression from reading many posts that a lot of people aren't aware of this. :confused:
I am well aware of the existence of the Nishijin scaled Lum, but frankly I don't like the Lum Chinese style at all. I like pretty much every type of CF Spyderco has put out, but I guess I never gave the Nishijin a fair shake cause I didn't like the Chinese and i was hung up on the Twill. The 'R' is more my style knife. I think I was too distracted by the ugliness of the Lum to notice the beautiful scales.

Spyderco Navaja
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Mine should be here tomorrow; can't wait to see what nishijin looks like in real life. I am pretty sure i will not like the smooth polished finish though.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

WalzAaronFFG wrote:I am well aware of the existence of the Nishijin scaled Lum, but frankly I don't like the Lum Chinese style at all. I like pretty much every type of CF Spyderco has put out, but I guess I never gave the Nishijin a fair shake cause I didn't like the Chinese and i was hung up on the Twill. The 'R' is more my style knife. I think I was too distracted by the ugliness of the Lum to notice the beautiful scales.
I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've heard the Lum Chinese described as ugly!
I have the exact opposite view. I love the design of the Lum Chinese, but don't really care for the Nishijin pattern.
:bug-red-white
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

gbelleh wrote:I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've heard the Lum Chinese described as ugly!
Yeah. Dem's fighting words. The Lum Chinese is one of the two prettiest production knife designs in production (The other being Case's Swayback Jack/Gent.) The curving lines are stunning. That it works really well to cut things is just a bonus.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.