caly 3.5 vs. mountain lion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Kudos on fending off the big cat and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery for your son. Thanks for sharing your story.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
dschur

Post by dschur »

Jason, congrats on saving your boy, I hope he recovers well and fully - he looks well on his way.

IMO, Spyderco should name the upcoming 3.5 Carbon Fiber Sprint Run the "Mountain Lion" (and give you a hand signed, #000) to commemerate it.

It'd be like the Ruger "Coyote Special" LCP that Ruger came out with when governor Perry plugged a coyote with his .380 when it went after his dog.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ecial-380-lcp/
My current Spydercos: Military CF S90V, (2) Military CF M390, Navaja CF S30V, Superleaf CF VG-10, Manix 2 CF CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CF S90V, Paramilitary 2 CF S90V, Stretch 2 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1 CF S30V, Lum Chinese CF VG-10, Caly 3 CF ZDP-189, Chaparral CF S30V, Kiwi CF VG-10, Chicago CF S30V, Cat CF S30V, Schempp Rock VG-10, Temperance 2 VG-10 :spyder:
okbohn

Post by okbohn »

Wow! That is really amazing!
CAMAROMAN

Post by CAMAROMAN »

Definitely an amazing and heroic story!! A " get well soon " to your son.
:spyder: Laci Szabo, Military (digital camo), Navaja,Centofante 3 , Persian 2,Lum Chinese, Ladybug ZDP, Tasman Salt, Native,Viele, Spin, Persistance, Dragonfly, Manix 2, Pingo, Impala, T-mag

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man" - old Nordic proverb
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

crazy i was just reading about this story on my fox news app, pretty cool you made an account here to tell.

hope your son is making a recovery
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

Muscle memory pays off big time! I hope your son gets well soon.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Incredible. All the best to you and your family.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
sodak

Post by sodak »

Good job on protecting your family! Don't let anyone tell you different!!!
DaRTH SfaRi

Post by DaRTH SfaRi »

Incredible the way that situation turned out!! You definitely saved your son's life, the Caly was just a good method of delivery. If i were you i'd order a new folder and frame the current one, cougar dna n all. Thats definitely a family heirloom!

Anyways I thank God for your family's safety and Welcome to the Spyderco Forum. :spyder:
Perrin PPT*Tasman Salt*Leafstorm*Persistence*Kiwi SS Lockback*Stretch*Caly 3.5 Super Blue Sprint Run*Matriarch 2* SmallFly*Endura 4 FFG Orange*Schempp Rock*Endura 4 ZDP-189*
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

That is crazy, I read about this earlier on Knife Rights Facebook page...never thought Id check whats going on in the world of spyderco and see that it was a Caly 3.5? Awesome!
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

What an amazing story. I hope for a quick, full recovery for your son.

I'm sure you were already a hero to your boy. But after this, you will surely be a Super Hero in his eyes.

I'm so happy that your boy was saved.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Azwaiian wrote:I hope your son is doing well, he will be in our prayers while he heals.
NYRich wrote:Our prayers go out to your son and the rest of your family.
Who is "our"? Be careful with that stuff, please.

That's awesome! That kid will have a cool story for life now. And I can point my wife to this story and maybe get her to stop goofing on me for having so many Spydercos. Maybe.
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

God Bless that you and your son are alright. I will have him in my prayers like many others tonight. It fills my heart with warmth knowing what sacrifices a father would make for his family. You did the right thing by having the knife in the first place, as well as knowing how the use it; good job, sir. I hope this incident helps to educate the public on how important it is for people to be able to defend themselves and their family. On a sadder note, if this situation happened in my state, I would have been arrested for the knife, killing the mountain lion, and child endangerment for having the knife in the first place. Oh, and some form of domestic violence if my wife was there. What a sad, sad state we have wrought...
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

computernut

Post by computernut »

Crazy story, hopefully everything turns out ok and all that's left is a good story. Your quick thinking and actions saved the day.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'm very glad everything turned out relatively OK :) Hope your son heals quickly :)

As others have said it was you who saved your son. A good sharp knife helped though :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

Jason,

Just read about this on EDCforums and my hat is off to you. Not everyone has the guts to react the way you did in a fight or flight situation. Your quick thinking saved your son's life for sure.

I wish your boy a speedy recovery. Very glad his injuries are relatively minor.
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

Ya, not sure if a Lion mauling a kids face is awesome.....
I believe the use of "our" means their families, not to hard to figure out really.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I hope your son recovers quickly and my hat's off to you. You did exactly the right thing. It's not the knife, although I agree it's an awesome knife, but your decisive action that saved the day.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Knutty wrote:Who is "our"? Be careful with that stuff, please.

That's awesome! That kid will have a cool story for life now. And I can point my wife to this story and maybe get her to stop goofing on me for having so many Spydercos. Maybe.
I would think that it would be obvious that I meant my family and I. I am not someone to force my beliefs onto others or to shove it in someone's face. My offering of prayers was sincere, as I do wish the child to make a speedy recovery.

That is all that was meant by me and any others who made the same statement. No conversations or threads concerning religion are allowed, so what is it exactly that I need to be careful of?

I also do not see how it is awesome that a kid had his face mauled by a mountain lion.
Pinetreebbs

Video From youTube

Post by Pinetreebbs »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wuXAAuyCKO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.