I don't wear a watch

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Azwaiian

I don't wear a watch

Post by Azwaiian »

So, today while my buddies and I were shooting the breeze, one of them asked me why I do not wear a watch. The other fellows asked me the same thing, all at once, and I was told that it is unmanly to go without a watch.

I informed them that time is displayed all around us and I don't need one. Oh boy, I opened the flood gates and I did not hear the end of it. After a few minutes of my buddies giving me grief, I told them I'm still not going to wear a watch. I also told them, I could spend the money on another knife! Oh boy, the flood gates were open again, but I'm still not buying a watch. Also, I always have my cell phone on me and I look at that if I need to know the time.

Just wondering if I'm the only non-man who goes around not wearing a watch?
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey azwaiin,
i don't wear a watch any more either.
with a cell phone on my side constantly, there's really no use.
i used to wear a watch all the time, and still have 3, but the batteries all run out and i just never replaced them.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Azwaiian wrote: Just wondering if I'm the only non-man who goes around not wearing a watch?
Yep just you and sharpguitarist :p

I would be lost without mine, I cant always have a phone on me, plus I wouldn't rely on one. My watch is also an automatic (read- never needs batteries).

But who cares, if you dont need / want a watch dont wear one?
rg02

Post by rg02 »

My wife bought me a nice Bulova watch for my bday last year so I wear it everyday :D
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Donut

Post by Donut »

I used to use the "I have the time on my cell phone" excuse.

I got a fairly nice watch, and it's been downhill since. I love a nice time piece as much as I love a nice knife. It is nice being able to estimate how much time it will take you to do something or get somewhere.

The only place I don't wear a watch is in the gym, and there ARE clocks all around me there.

I do think it is unmanly to not wear a watch, but there are more and more people who seem to be doing it, so you might be able to get away with the excuse. I'm not particularly fond of the crowd of people who don't wear watches, though, and I don't really want to join them.

Best of luck with your decision.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I've been wearing watch before the mass adaptation of cellphone and time everywhere so I'm just used to wear one.

Besides it's a lot quicker to look at my wrist than digging out my phone from pocket or look around to find a clock.
jossta

Post by jossta »

I rarely check the time on my watch vs. my phone or computer but I def still check it. Plus, I love watches too much to go w/out. **** I'd rather wear a broken one than none at all.

I agree about money thing though. Most of my watches were gifts. I have my eyes on a Seiko Tuno right now, but realistically it will never happen since that's a lot of knife money. Before I die, I will have a Deep Sea though.
r small

Post by r small »

I haven't worn a watch since I was a kid. Don't like anything strapped to my arm. But I've carried a knife every day for 25 years. Tell your friends it's "unmanly" to go without a knife.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Haven't worn a watch at all for a couple years and didn't wear one more than occasionally for several decades before that. Even before cell phones and computers, I almost never needed one, only on those occasions where showing up early was considered as bad as showing up late, or worse.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I don't wear a watch too. Can't stand the darn things. I have bought a watch several times but I wind up giving them away because I don't wear 'em.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sometimes I wear watch, sometimes I don't
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BAL

Post by BAL »

I haven't worn a watch since the early 80's and the only reason then that I received a college graduation present and felt like I had to wear it (for a while and when I was around the giver.) I found that I would look at the watch and then someomne would ask the time and I wouldn't know, I just looked at it as a force of habit. I was spending too much time thinking about what time it was rather than enjoying life or working.

At the office there are clocks around and I have one on the wall in case I have a meeting or what-not. I own a farm and when I am being farm boy at night or weekends, I don't care what time it is. I will get up before the sun comes up and then the sun will let me know what time it is, at least close enough for me. I do have an old beater watch that I will throw in a pocket in case I need to be somewhere by a certain time, but most of the time the battery is dead anyway.

On the farm a watch wouldn't last long on your arm anyway. With machinery it is a good way to lose a hand. I do wear a LIVESTRONG yellow arm band, but they will break long before your wrist would, and I have several extra in case one does gets broke.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

r small wrote:I haven't worn a watch since I was a kid. Don't like anything strapped to my arm. But I've carried a knife every day for 25 years. Tell your friends it's "unmanly" to go without a knife.
LOL, I've also carried a knife for that length of time, for about the last couple of years it's been two knives! I've also carried a gun for about 20 years as well, but they just roll their eyes when I point that out. :D
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

No watch for me either. I have worn them when needed for work, but it came off as soon as I got home. My pager had a clock, then an alarm I could set to get to meetings. My cell phone is even better.

FWIW, I don't wear any rings or necklaces either, not even a wedding band though I'm married. Even my wife is OK with it after 42+ years of marriage. When she is asked about it she says you are either married or not, the ring is no guaranty of fidelity. :) I don't like things hanging on me and they can be a serious safety hazard on the job.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I used not to wear a watch - I got out of the habit when I went to the tropics and used to strap my watch to my belt, to get it out of the way of sweat, sun cream & insect repellent! :D You are right, the time is all around us - especially on the mobile phones we all carry these days.

Recently though I realised that on a man a watch is more than just a time-piece ... it is an item of jewelry and it does look a bit odd (especially in an office/professional environment) to not have a good watch on your wrist. Also, I got tired of having to get my iPhone out of my jeans pocket.

So I bought a nice Titanium jacketed Seiko ... you hardly feel it on your wrist, it appeals to my love of gadgets, it looks great and it is always accurate to within a few seconds ... I check it regularly against a cheap Casio WaveCeptor digital which updates itself from atomic clocks and is always correct to the second. :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

Other than my wedding band, a watch is the only piece of jewelry I wear regularly. I'd feel naked without one, just as I would without a pocket knife.

My cell phone serves mostly as a paperweight and is rarely even turned on. At work I have the time on both my phone and computer but still wear a watch every day.

With one exception (a Citizen Eco Drive) all of my watches require batteries. I've been changing them myself for years. In bulk, they are about 25 cents each and the jewelers around here are charging 7 bucks or more.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i only wore one when i was a cop. as soon as i switched to the fire dept it came off. i find it annoying to my wrist. as far as being less manly, well tell your buddies to come here and say it to my face...lol
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

First of all. A watch is unlikely to make anybody a man. It takes alot more than that to be a man.

Haven't worn a watch for almost 10 years now. Even then I never found them comfortable. No jewelery, no tats, no watch. I do have a watch strapped to my athletic bag to help keep track of time when I am playing sports.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

My father spent his whole life in the jewelry business. He grew up playing with gems, worked in grandpa's jewelry stores, made a career in the industry. He never wore a watch and I stopped as soon other technology eliminated the need for one. I have an affection for them but just don't want anything on my wrist.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I have never really worn a watch. When I was younger ( in my 20s) I preferred to wear leather and spikes. And now...if I really need to know the time, I do have a cell on me, and there is usually a clock around somewhere if that wasn't working for whatever reason.

But mostly, I think that people are too concerned with always knowing what time it is, and rushing off all over the place. Foolishness IMO. Unless it is specifically a job related thing, I think that always knowing the time is a waste of it.
On the hunt for...