Manix 2 or the para 2? Which is your favorite?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SeanMc

Manix 2 or the para 2? Which is your favorite?

Post by SeanMc »

I own a couple Manix 2 and I'm looking into maybe starting to collect para military 2. Which one do you guys prefer?
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

dont have a manix 2 so i cant speak on it, but my pm2 is perfection.

its going to be lighter and the compression lock is awesome

im actually going to order a manix 2 tonight bc i think both of these knives are a must own spyderco...
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I'm not such a hugh Manix fan, I only have 2 but I have 4 PM2 and a 5th preordered. Can't get enough of this knife!!! :D
I like the blade shape, comp lock and feel of the PM2 more, compared to the Mainx2.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not crazy about either one, think they're both excessively bulky. However, a hand neutral lock will always get my vote over a handed one, so between the two, I'd pick the Manix 2.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

They are both awesome, but the para 2 just edges it for me.

Mainly due to the blade shape and lock.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Para by a long shot. On paper, the Manix 2 is everything I want, but it doesn't compare to the Para IMO. C95 is much better though as far ergos for me so I imagine I would like the Manix 2 XL more, but that's not as good of a comparison. In that size range, Para 2 takes it for me hands down.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Manix 2 wins for me. I like a knife to fill my hand and I find that the handle of the Manix does that far far better than the Para2. Also, I like a knife that has some heft to it. The Manix, while not heavy at all IMO at least feels more solid in the hand. Plus, the Manix despite the fact that it has less of a point at the tip, is a better slicer than the Para2.

They both come in some really great steels, and no matter what anyone tries to convince you of, they both take up pretty much the same amount of pocket space.

I might put some thicker scales on the Para2 to help it fill in my hand a bit, but it still won't slice as well.

And the Manix 2 XL is amazing, even better than the Manix 2. Though I wish that they had stuck with 154CM.
On the hunt for...
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Para2 in a landslide for me. Not sure why, the Manix just didn't do it for me. Too bulky and wide I think. Para 2 is as close to edc perfection as you can get IMO
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Mjolnir74

Para 2

Post by Mjolnir74 »

To me the manix2 was a pocket hog and the ergos on the para 2 fit me much better.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I switch between both. Since you already own a Manix 2, definitely pick up a PM2 and see what you think. Both are must have Spydies. it just depends on what feels good in your hand!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Para 2 for me. Nothing against the Manix series, but the Para 2 is slimmer in the pocket, and the compression lock, and the ergonomics work perfectly for me.
:bug-red-white
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Para 2.

Don't care for the Manix 2. I don't like the lock, the weight, the jimping on the handle, and I don't like the hollow ground blades on the non-sprint models.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SeanMc

Post by SeanMc »

Wow I fiquered the votes would be about fifty fifty. But ok I will be picking up a para 2. Thanks guys
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The forum community highly favors the PM2 it seems. Not to say anything is wrong with the M2, just the overall preference.

I personally like the compression lock better (just my preference) but the blade on the Manix2 has less "belly" (which I dislike).

You can't go wrong either way really.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I really like both, I actually have one more Manix 2 than Para 2, though that will change once the orange and green para 2 sprints come out, but I like the Para 2 a little more, due two the compression lock and easier pocket carry.
SeanMc

Post by SeanMc »

michaelm466 wrote:I really like both, I actually have one more Manix 2 than Para 2, though that will change once the orange and green para 2 sprints come out, but I like the Para 2 a little more, due two the compression lock and easier pocket carry.
Those are Just beautiful! I want my collection like that I want to own every Manix. And start on para 2.
Niles

Post by Niles »

Para 2 for sure. For ergos and the lock.
Do no harm. Do know harm.
Slash

Post by Slash »

cl > bl

Imho
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Para2. Due to the weight and the lock. Not a big fan of the M2 bb lock..
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I just bought both: Manix2 in cpm M-4 and PM2 in 20CP. Both are great steels. The PM2 is in my pocket. The Manix2 is larger and is the one I would rate at for serious heavy-duty work, like living in the woods for a while. The blade is massive in width compared to the PM2. I prefer the compression lock on the PM2 by far.