Sometimes I wonder about E-bay bidders...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wsdavies

Sometimes I wonder about E-bay bidders...

Post by wsdavies »

So I was looking at a Spydie auction...Starting bid $10 less then the "Buy it Now" price. Once someone bids the buy it now price goes away. It makes no sense if you want the knife to bid and not buy it now when the price is $10 bucks apart. Some people's logic is beyond me. This particular knife will eventually sell for $30 or $40 above the buy it now price..I would have bought it, but I enjoy sleeping in the same bed with my wife.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i dont think that the BIN option always goes away. recently i put a bid on a knife and 5 other people outbid me and then someone just used the BIN price and that ended the auction early.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

You think that's weird, explain this one;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200707552141?ss ... 1423.l2649

Huh? Did I miss something? Shill bid gone wrong? Something isn't right.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Rwb1500 wrote:You think that's weird, explain this one;

Two n00bs thought it was a sprint run, maybe???
—Daniel Jackson
mil

Post by mil »

i hate when sellers post hundreds of knives at starting bids higher than prices on normal websites... makes it take a lot longer to find legitimate auctions when i have to scroll through 10 pages of spam.
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

tonydahose wrote:i dont think that the BIN option always goes away. recently i put a bid on a knife and 5 other people outbid me and then someone just used the BIN price and that ended the auction early.
If an auction has a reserve, the BIN will remain until the reserve is met.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

That's funny...E-bay isn't the most rational place. It's funny watching people bid on knives (like the Blue PM2) for like $200, when you can still get it from Bento for $174.

I was thinking this same thing exactly yesterday :eek:
mil wrote:i hate when sellers post hundreds of knives at starting bids higher than prices on normal websites... makes it take a lot longer to find legitimate auctions when i have to scroll through 10 pages of spam.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Ebay is an interesting place and some people have no clue.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I think a fever gets ahold of a fella and he goes nuts. Wakes up later and realizes he's been had. I've done it...long time ago.
Sonny
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i never understood bidding on something early, all youre doing is driving up the price of an item you want as cheap as possible.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

RIOT wrote:i never understood bidding on something early, all youre doing is driving up the price of an item you want as cheap as possible.
Not true in all cases, but sometimes. I find that no matter if you bid early or late; it usually ends up the same in the end. Sometimes if you put your max bid in early; you will end up winning. If you wait too long, then someone else will beat you to your max bid.

I hate it when an auction always ends $1 more than my max bid no matter what. Its happened a few time recently
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Testosterone or maybe they really like the lanyard. :)
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Well ya see... What you guys are missing is one keyword "custom ordered Black Paracord Lanyard"

Having a custom lanyard like that is basically a financial investment.

Ebay sure is crazy.... USN Enduras for 300$, SS and FRN jesters 200$.
Not all the time, but I have seen it quite a bit.
Come Join Us Click Here
Bearcat1

Post by Bearcat1 »

I agree with wsdavies. The blue PM2 can still be had for $179 but many people are buying them for more than price on fleabay.
Mad is bad. - Sal :)
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

The one that gets me is when I see people bidding on a particular knife and the bidding goes up and way over the price of the same knife, on sale, on Ebay at the same exact time that is a BIN for less than they are bidding. Do people ever use the search feature?
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

The seller could always be inflating the prices with false bids.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Bluntrauma wrote:The one that gets me is when I see people bidding on a particular knife and the bidding goes up and way over the price of the same knife, on sale,
I think they just catch "bidding fever" You get myopic on the one you're focused on. I'm sure buyers remorse sets in shortly there after.

Ken
玉鋼
cckw

Post by cckw »

mil wrote:i hate when sellers post hundreds of knives at starting bids higher than prices on normal websites... makes it take a lot longer to find legitimate auctions when i have to scroll through 10 pages of spam.
Couple ways to help with this, if one seller has multiple identical auctions it is against the rules so you can report him and it will get cleaned up. You can also report people for spamming key words in the title like " Spyderco Police Military Sage Native pocket knife"

I don't have a plastic badge that says "internet police", but if their violations are causing me wasted time, I'm going to take a little more time and help out the next guy as well as myself next week by reporting the crap.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I haven't bought a knife on eBay for quite a while. I find good deals to be few and far between these days.

I find my time better spent searching BST forums.

On second thought, let's not go to eBay. It is a silly place.
:bug-red-white