Native 5 feedback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Native 5 feedback

Post by Cheddarnut »

As was mentioned in a recent post, the native 5 lightweight is waiting on feedback from the current g10 model, so lets get tje ball rolling!

From my limited exposure to the N5, id say i could use more usuable blade length and an altered clip positioning in tip up configuration. The positioning of the clip on the N1 was outstanding, with the dip in the clip matching the swell of the palm perfectly, the n5 clip feels too far back to me.

The blade length would seem to be a result of blade laws *shrug*.

Constuction is bulletproof.

Also my general opinion of choil jimping is that it's unnecessary, no execption in this instance. The native locks into the hand well enough that the jimping is mildly uncomfortable to me. The n1 was dead on in this regard perfect choil, maybe even because of (not inspite of) the handle not being rounded in the same arc as the choil. It wasnt as aesthetically pleasing but it seemed to fit better (than the n3).

Also, though some may disagree, i vote thumbs down for integral washers for the new n5. The models ive handled with integral washers were slow to deploy and my n3 has never loosened up, dedicating it to drawer duty. And no, i dont care to sit with it for hours to break it in like some of the more dedicated among us. Id rather have no liners like the n1, it was always very smooth and i never have any blade play issues.

Lastly, i briefly had the lightweight manix 2 and would saw that i would gladly have sacrificed the negligible weight increase for non skeletonized scales, the thinness of the translucent frcp didnt inspire confidence in my hand. Id say a solid slab of plastic would 'seem' better. More of a cerebral aestheticism (no, that is not a word anywhere but here on this forum) but i needed to get that out, as i love the native line and would feel bad if i didnt contribute all i could to it in the ways i believe to be true.

My 2 sense. Please supplement.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
APS

Post by APS »

I love the blade shape and size, it doesn't need to be bigger. Plenty of larger Spydercos available.
I love the new lock, no wiggle when I'm using it hard. It's very smooth and has plenty of closed-blade retention.
I LOVE the new handle shape. That second peak in the handle of the FRN Native would get me in the middle of my finger so I'd need to grind it down with a dremel. Not a problem with the 5.

I don't like the extra handle holes for every possible way of carry. What percentage of users really switch to tip down? I like the jimping in the choil but don't think it's necessary. Could save some costs there and by not doing the extra holes.

I'm interested to see how they design the new FRN handles, particularly in the lock area. I think Eric called it the "H"? in the Amsterdam video.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

One of the negatives of the current Native Lightweight is that it can't be carried legally in places with a 3" blade length limit. I'd say either leave the Native 5 at 3" or increase the blade length half an inch, or close to it, and that would make it a whole new knife.

Am sure clip position is somewhat constrained by other factors. For TU carry that would mainly be lanyard hole placement which itself is limited to certain points on the backspacer/spring carrier.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Between the Native5 and Superleaf you have a very efficient carry combo for most areas. 3" and 3.5".

People love choils but they cut down on effective cutting edge. Still, the N5 seems a great knife and looking forward to grabbing one soon :) .
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

The N5 is arguably my favorite Spydie, though the Sage1 is right there with it, as is the FRN Native ( I guess I just dig that size and style). That being said, I seem to carry the Sage and FRN native the most due to their lighter weight.
But the N5 is, in my mind, the most robust of the three, and for this reason, this would be the one I'd want if I were stranded on a desert island.
And thanks to Deacon for pointing out that the FRN Native exceeds the blade length laws ( in some areas). I just assumed it was something like 3 15/16 or something, but I just looked it up and sho nuff, it's 3.1". :)
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The N5 is an excellent user knife IMO. :)

Been using mine and it's very well balanced for general all around use, and it very smooth for a lock back.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I really like Native5 as is and wouldn't change anything.
The Deacon wrote:I'd say either leave the Native 5 at 3" or increase the blade length half an inch, or close to it, and that would make it a whole new knife.
I like the idea of Native 5 Sr. with 3.5" blade, but keep N5 with 3" in line-up. We need both.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

MIL-DOT wrote:The N5 is arguably my favorite Spydie, though the Sage1 is right there with it, as is the FRN Native ( I guess I just dig that size and style). That being said, I seem to carry the Sage and FRN native the most due to their lighter weight.
But the N5 is, in my mind, the most robust of the three, and for this reason, this would be the one I'd want if I were stranded on a desert island.
And thanks to Deacon for pointing out that the FRN Native exceeds the blade length laws ( in some areas). I just assumed it was something like 2 15/16 or something, but I just looked it up and sho nuff, it's 3.1". :)

Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am really hoping for a linerless Lightweight Native. I gifted an N5 and it was amazingly smooth, not sure if that can carry over to the FRN version and remain an affordable model. I'm cool with a 2 position wire clip like the Manix 2. A swedge would be nice.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
APS

Post by APS »

If they plan on using the same updated lock and bushing system in the new FRN Native it will have to have liners.
I wouldn't complain if they put the new blade into the existing FRN Native handle ;)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

araneae wrote:I am really hoping for a linerless Lightweight Native. I gifted an N5 and it was amazingly smooth, not sure if that can carry over to the FRN version and remain an affordable model. I'm cool with a 2 position wire clip like the Manix 2. A swedge would be nice.
Eeek!!! :eek: not a wire clip!
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.