Two questions for those who own a Manix 2 XL...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bchan

Two questions for those who own a Manix 2 XL...

Post by bchan »

My experience with Manix 2 is from the CTS-XHP sprint run. I don't have a regular Manix 2. When Spyderco announced the Manix 2 XL, initially I am excited. But now I learn that the XL has full liners, unlike the Manix 2 sprint runs which have skeletonized liners. Since I live outside the States I don't have the chance to personally handle an XL before making the decision to buy. To those brothers who already own an XL, I would like to seek your advice on two questions:

(1) Does the XL feel unwieldy in actual deployment and usage of the knife?

(2) Would you include it as part of your EDC rotation? And why?

Thanks a lot!
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

1) No, not at all. Like the Manix 2, the grip fits well in your hand and the blade quickly becomes an extension of your arm. I've used mine for some med/heavy cutting work and had no problems.

2) Not really. It's not that it's to big, when it's closed it feels like it's just too wide (spine to back) for my tastes. With the blade clipped in my front right pocket, I'm unable to use that pocket for anything else.

YMMV :spyder:
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Hi

I like the knife grip. The texture of the g10 coupled with the metal liners that slightly extend out of the g10 scales work really well. The butt end can be used like a pommel somewhat. It's very well built.

Will I EDC it? No. The reason being its too huge and heavy. Also, the size attracts too much attention. Right now, it's tucked away safe in my cupboard.

I think I will use it when I go on field trips or camping.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

1) If anything it feels light and easy to use.

2) Totally. It fits in my front pocket and I can still get into that pocket to get my keys in and out. Though I will say that it is a large enough blade that it can attract some attention depending on who you are around.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think it's less a factor of weight and more one of relative/efficient weight.

The Manix2 XL is just under 6 ounces and about 9 inches long overall. Compared to most knives with around a 4" blade it's a lightweight and slicer to boot.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I EDC'd an original Manix and had no issues with it. Never got any comments about its size. It does take up a lot of pocket space. If it's in your right front pocket you can't squeeze your hand in beside it, you'd have to put your hand in your pocket between your leg and the knife. Or just wear pants with a pocket just above the knees on the side of the pant leg like my carhartt's and clip it there.

I wouldn't recommend the knife to anyone who doesn't like large or heavy knives. But for people who do it's wonderful. The grip is fantastic, especially if you have larger hands, and the blade shape is classic Spyderco. It's a lot like the Military...it looks pretty big in pictures, but when you hold it and use it you realize it's just another highly functional pocket knife designed for work.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I EDC'd my Manix XL today and I've no complaints about it. I normally EDC a Millie and I don't see too big a difference between carrying either one.

I also think the Manix XL feels really good in my hand. Pop that bad boy open and it's like my hand is locked into the grip. Great knife and it will be a part of the EDC rotation.
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I traded my manix xl for another military, The weight wasnt an issue, however the pocket clip placement was and with that "pinky guard" sticking out of your pocket it just makes it akward to carry. Its nowhere near as comfortable in various grips as say a military, it was a quality knife and i loved it until i carried it, overall the width and the extra length it took up my whole pocket, add the pinky guard sticking out of your pocket and it just wasnt for me , but you may love it , to each his own
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I EDC mine when I'm not at work. It sticks out to much to carry around the Jr. High. As for usage and deployment, I think the knife is perfect!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt