Best Online Spyderco Dealer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

INFRNL wrote:As far as shipping costs; I am not sure if you have shipped lately, but $8 is about standard from everyone.
Yes, I have shipped recently. The last knife I returned to a vendor went cross-country and the postage was less than $3.00, and that was including a box and packing materials. Even with insurance and delivery conf, it was only just over $6.00. Had I sent it back the same way it was sent to me (a mere envelope), it would have cost even less. I could not bring myself to ship it in an envelope, however. Strange that I care more about return shipping than the vendor did when first shipping it to me.
Blerv wrote:I have no doubt you're picky. It's a shame you dont understand that Spyderco is manufacturing high performing tools rather than primping enteries for a blue ribbon fair.

Goodluck with the blacklist. It sounds exciting. Personal inspection goes a further distance though.
Oh, I understand completely. Thank you for the sarcasm. Please keep in mind that you don't know what knives I purchased, or what I deemed was wrong with them. In fact, neither one of the two I mentioned was returned for purely cosmetic reasons. Of the many knives I've purchased, those were the only two I've ever had to return. A spate of bad luck, I guess.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I also prefer a knife site that is a "real" knife store. With people who know and love knives like we do. It's nice to have the option of having the store/site people inspect the knife before shipping to make sure there are no defects. I like to be certain the blade is centered and that there is no blade play at all. And I can not tolerate any scuffs or scratches on my new knife. GPKnives and Knifeworks always take care of that stuff for me. They're great.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Cheygriz wrote:Knifeworks is my No.1 "go to" by far. Roger is a great guy to do business with.
But New Graham, Bento Box Shop, Knife tree, and a few others already mentioned are great also.

However, because of cost and convenience, I personally try to avoid the "brick and mortar" stores if possible.
KW is Brick and Mortar as well as on-line sales.
Just so you know........ :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
emel

Post by emel »

wsdavies wrote:I'd vote for Cutlery Shoppe and Howes...
Howes hands down, Jim is a great guy to deal with, and excellent service !
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Knutty wrote:Yes, I have shipped recently. The last knife I returned to a vendor went cross-country and the postage was less than $3.00, and that was including a box and packing materials. Even with insurance and delivery conf, it was only just over $6.00. Had I sent it back the same way it was sent to me (a mere envelope), it would have cost even less. I could not bring myself to ship it in an envelope, however. Strange that I care more about return shipping than the vendor did when first shipping it to me.

Oh, I understand completely. Thank you for the sarcasm. You are a very kind person. Consider me duly humiliated. Hooray!
I must have something to learn. How do you ship a package for $3 when the cheapest option starts above $5? Do you just weigh it and put stamps on it or obviously pay the counter person :) . I do not go in the PO, I do everything online.

I will agree with you on taking more concern for shipping than vendors do. I have had to ship quite a few items back for warranty and the manufacturers give you direction to make thee item safe, but I always do better anyway. Then they ship the repaired item back barely protected. What kind of crap is that. :mad:

I do agree that these knives should never be shipped in a padded envelope. I like to keep every item I ever buy in the best condition possible; including packaging.

I do not think I have an all time favorite knife etailor, too many variables involved
I do however buy most of my knifes from Howes or unitedoutdoors though
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
starma

Post by starma »

I just received my first purchase from Cutlery Shoppe. The price was the lowest I could find, shipping was free with a coupon code via priority mail, it arrived just two days after I made my order, and-bonus-it came with a free lollypop. :D They sure get my stamp of approval.
Now if only Spyderco would send them some more PM2's so they can send me mine.
If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? -Abraham Lincoln
jossta

Post by jossta »

Knifeworks always goes above and beyond for me. After that Howe's and CS. Unless it's a new sprint though, I usually just pick up stuff on forums. I don't mind slightly used knives and saves money.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

jossta wrote:Knifeworks always goes above and beyond for me. After that Howe's and CS. Unless it's a new sprint though, I usually just pick up stuff on forums. I don't mind slightly used knives and saves money.
I like those waterproof notepads KW send out with the orders :)
I got a little planner/notepad deal from Jim Howe with my last order, but that may have been something with the sage 4 orders, not sure.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
BonnieDoon

Post by BonnieDoon »

jason yao wrote:warriors and wonders
+1
I have bought every Spyderco I own through these guys. I am fortunate enough to be able to go into the store and meet everyone :) The owner really loves his knives
Viva La :spyder:

My :spyder: knives:
Endura 4 PE
Endure 4 SE
Foliage Green Delica 4 CE
Purple Endura 4 FFG
White Delica 4 CE
Aqua Salt SE
Dragonfly Salt PE
maa14

Post by maa14 »

My favorite so far is CS. Really fast shipping and great prices
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

Howes is my favorite shop. The service is top-notch and the pre-order system guarantees that you will get the knife you order - no funny business with way over-booked pre-orders. I have no problem with the prices - I think that they are commensurate with the quality of service (and always free shipping!).
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

okbohn

Post by okbohn »

Knutty wrote: KnivesShipFree.com doesn't give pure refunds, even if they send you a defective item. You can either get a direct replacement, a store credit, or pay a 20% restocking fee. This is ridiculous. This means that they could actually send you a defective knife, then charge you 20% for sending it back (on top of return shipping). Now, I have no idea if they regularly make exceptions to this policy. They very well might. But I'm not going to make purchases just hoping to receive exceptional treatment; I'm going to assume I'll be treated as per stated policy. Also, they ship knives in envelopes, not boxes.
I'm new to this forum, but I thought I would shed some light on our policy...

We work hard to provide excellent service. We inventory all of the knives on our website. We ship the next business day. No charge for shipping.

When we take a return, we give 100% store credit and you pick out whatever knife you want.

If we give a refund, we do charge a restocking fee. Here's why. We pay several % points to our credit card company to charge your order and then again to refund it. We paid shipping. Much of the time the knives that are returned to us are not re-sellable as new (damaged, missing box, etc).

So. Yes, that is how we handle it.

Occasionally, if we actually have a defective knife (not often) and we don't have a replacement and the customer wants a refund, we do so without any restocking fee. We honestly have very little call for it because most of the time people return knives for reasons much more personal and subjective than a genuine defect.

Hopefully we will have an opportunity to show you we are an up and up company.
mr_anderson

Post by mr_anderson »

If anyone cares they have para sprints in D2 and the Brown Military in XHP
Jazz wrote:Definately Warriors and Wonders in Canada. I've received great service from them, and I was so impressed that I told them I'd mention it on this forum.

- best wishes, Jazz.
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

The Deacon wrote:New Graham is my favorite and, AFAIK, still the only dealer to make BladeForum's Hall of Fame. Can't really go wrong with any of the others named here, although I personally avoid those who have written off the entire state of New York over something which involves only New York City.

As others have noted, Spyderco's warranty covers knives purchased from any Spyderco dealer, not just at the Spyderco Factory Outlet. In fact, Spyderco keeps prices at SFO at full MSRP to avoid competing with their dealers.
I've been buying from several of the dealers mentioned already and have never had an issue with any of them.

Yeah, this whole New York thing is absurd. Lucky for you that you got out of here. So far it hasn't been an issue for me as I work in New Jersey and have everything shipped to me there. I retire in two months and will be losing that option so I've been trying to get my "must have" list completed before then.

The only item I've ever ordered directly from SFO was a mule as they simply aren't available elsewhere. Their pricing policy is very understandable and shared by a lot of companies.
FarmerTed

CS Note

Post by FarmerTed »

Knutty wrote:Cutlery Shoppe normally has great prices, and the service and policies are good, but the one thing that drives me nuts is the shipping. They charge $8.95 across the board (yes, I know about coupon codes). But it does not cost $8.95 to ship a typical single knife, and even after overypaying for shipping, you get First Class mail, not Priority Mail. This cuts into the apparent savings on the price of the knife. Also regarding shipping: Jeff always sends knives in bubble-wrap envelopes, not boxes. I hate this. I've received $200 knives with boxes that were crushed. (I'm talking about the red and black Spyderco knife box.) I save all my boxes and would like to be able to sell some of my knives in the future, without their original box looking like it spent a day lying on the expressway.
Just wanted to note that I just received my Vallotton :D from Cutlery Shoppe yesterday. It was shipped in a flat rate box and the Spyderco box is in perfect shape.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

mr_anderson wrote:If anyone cares they have para sprints in D2 and the Brown Military in XHP
Thank you for the tip mr_anderson, I may get myself another D2 para to serve as a safe-queen counterpart to my collection.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

lately my $$ has been tight so ive been holding out on my regular online dealers and using what i hate the most and thats patience.

my online dealer is currently ebay, if i can save $5 with free shipping and time with searching im fine. i just cant buy the spydies i want anymore like i use to.

still i find deals on ebay that once you spot them you cant pass them up.

example: i found the orange ffg delica for $54 free shipping, i thought that was a good deal?