How do you carry your Street Beat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

How do you carry your Street Beat?

Post by vivi »

Hello,

I'm going to be ordering myself a street beat soon. I've had my eye on one for years but wasn't sure how I'd feel about it. I got a chance to handle one and that sealed the deal for me.

I'm wondering how everyone carries theirs? Specifically people who carry it daily or pretty frequently.

Looking at the factory sheath options I'm considering trying horizontal at 2 o clock. I think it would be small enough to be comfortable, and it would be accessible and out of the way of my other EDC items.

Another thought I had was getting a slimmed down custom sheath without the bulk from the rivets, and have some sort of extended pocket clip so I could carry it right front pocket with most of the handle covered.

I would really like to see pictures of any customs heaths you have had made for yours, or if any sheath makers see this I would be happy to view your Street Beat sheaths. Looking for something minimal and comfortable. Not interested in any neck carry setups though.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Vivi, I don't know if mine is typical but it doesn't want to let the knife out of the sheath for whatever reason. When it finally releases it is difficult getting the arm slowed down from the sudden release. The edge also drags in the sheath badly.

It's sure a nice knife though. Kind of for smallish hands IMO. So far I don't carry it due to these factors but I like the knife enough to keep it anyway but it sits around mostly.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Dear Vivi,

see below my Street Beat with custom sheet :)
Attachments
comp_FB15 Fred Perrin Street Beat 109.jpg
comp_FB15 Fred Perrin Street Beat 109.jpg (99.33 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
comp_FB15 Fred Perrin Street Beat 108.jpg
comp_FB15 Fred Perrin Street Beat 108.jpg (98.83 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
comp_FB15 Fred Perrin Street Beat 103.jpg
comp_FB15 Fred Perrin Street Beat 103.jpg (97.76 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I don't have a street beat but I carry most of my fixed blades cross draw horizontal. Find it makes life more comfortable. Although I usually carry my temp vertical. Larger knives would call for different methods. Peter that is a beautiful sheath. Very nice. I too wish the street beat was larger. Feels small in my hands. I still want one though. With a leather sheath like the Morans came in
JLS

Post by JLS »

Like VashHash, I don't have a Street Beat, but I carry a small fixed blade horizontally at 11 o'clock for lefty access. Cross-draw would work just as well, or 1-2 o'clock for right hand carry and access. A t-shirt will hide it and it works great for me. I do make my own foldover sheaths for this, as the pancakes are a bid wide and not nearly as comfortable.

This makes a Mule, Moran or Swick very comfortable. It's not as nice, but still functional for a Temperance 1 or Aqua Salt.

The middle picture shows my homemade sheath versus the factory models. The factory sheaths are great, but the foldover carries so much better.

Here's the Aqua Salt homemade sheath. This also works nice at 6 o'clock if that position works for you. The clip is shown for vertical carry in this picture, but it didn't stay that way long.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

I have one and am in the process of getting a custom taco style kydex sheath from Matt at invictus kydex. I tried to like the sheath it came with, but I couldn't. Too thick, too bulky, and too much rattle (plus edge drag). The knife is waaaay too nice not to spend an extra $35-$40 on a nice sheath. I plan on carrying iwb when I get it btw...
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

RFP, no G-clip, with the Kydex sheath static-lined to my belt.
EarthDog
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks for your posts everyone!

Peter1960, who made that sheath? I really like the looks of it. Is it leather all the way through or is there a kydex liner on the side where the blade edge sits?
Nifelheim

Post by Nifelheim »

JLS, what are those fixed blades you have pictured?
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

@ Vivi: A friend of mine in Austria made it. The sheath has no kydex liner and at least during the last four years of use the edge don't cut through the seam.

Spyderco's company motto
JLS

Post by JLS »

The first picture has 3 FB01 Moran's and the second picture is an Aqua Salt, FB23, I think.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
vivi

Re:

Post by vivi »

Peter1960 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:33 pm
Dear Vivi,

Do you know if the maker of that sheath is still active? I'd like to try one of those.
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Re: How do you carry your Street Beat?

Post by Sumdumguy »

Usually clipless, in a pocket.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kerrcobra

Re: How do you carry your Street Beat?

Post by kerrcobra »

I carry mine clipless in my RFP
--Jeremy
Peter1960

Re: Re:

Post by Peter1960 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:01 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:33 pm
Dear Vivi,

Do you know if the maker of that sheath is still active? I'd like to try one of those.
It was a private maker who made my sheath and I lost contact to him, I don't even know where he lives actually. I'm sorry ...

Spyderco's company motto