ZDP-189 Collection: What next? Strong opinions Please.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

ZDP-189 Collection: What next? Strong opinions Please.

Post by kennethsime »

Hi there,

A couple weeks ago I picked up my first Spyderco, a C90GRE, the Stretch 2 w/ ZDP-189 in British Racing Green. I love the knife so far, and I'm looking around at others. I've handled the Endura & Delica sabre grinds in zdp, but not the flats. I've handled the Dragonfly and Ladybugs in VG-10, and can't imaging the ZDP will feel any different.

So, my question is: which spdyer should be next for me, and why? Must be ZDP-189, Full Flat Ground, British Racing Green, Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon. In which order should I look for them?

Disclaimer: I understand that ultimately, the answer is "whichever you like the best," "whichever you will use more," or "whichever you will carry more often." I am simply looking for some strong opinions, for fun, and because I know you have them. :p
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

Ladybug @ CS (absolute killer keychain blade)
Delica FFG also a must have.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'd get a Ladybug or Dragonfly as it would make a nice duo for the Stretch or smaller option for casual carry.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

kennethsime wrote: So, my question is: which spdyer should be next for me, and why? Must be ZDP-189, Full Flat Ground, British Racing Green, Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon. In which order should I look for them?
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldnt this limit you to:

ZDP-189 FRN British Racing Green:
-Ladybug
-Dragonfly
-Delica
-Endura

courtesy of http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?blade=ZDP-189

????????

I just wanted to simplify your advice request.

Since you already own a decent sized ZDP-189 Spydie in the Stretch, why not get something smaller like a Dragonfly or Ladybug? Those two get my vote. The Delica is also a very nice sized Spydie and a classic in its own right. If you are a fan of ZDP so much then you will end up with all 5 of the FRN ZDP-189 spydies anyway lol :D
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kennethsime,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

rg02 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldnt this limit you to:
ZDP-189 FRN British Racing Green:
-Ladybug
-Dragonfly
-Delica
-Endura
Precisely! But which first?
rg02 wrote:Since you already own a decent sized ZDP-189 Spydie in the Stretch, why not get something smaller like a Dragonfly or Ladybug? Those two get my vote. The Delica is also a very nice sized Spydie and a classic in its own right. If you are a fan of ZDP so much then you will end up with all 5 of the FRN ZDP-189 spydies anyway lol :D
I'm thinking Dragonfly at this point (love that choil), but could go delica or ladybug. We shall see, as you say it is only a matter of time. :-)

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:Hi Kennethsime,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
Thanks! The letter from you in the box was the icing on the cake for my stretch.

Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

Isn't she lovely .. Isn't she wonderful ...

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ladybug in ZDP hands down...one of the best knives i own. You won't know how badass this little knife is until you use it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I don't think any Spyderco collection is complete without at least one Delica.
But the Ladybug is another model like that...

:D
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm thinking Dragonfly.

I might go that way for my next zdp189 knife.
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
rg02

Post by rg02 »

kennethsime wrote:I'm thinking Dragonfly at this point (love that choil), but could go delica or ladybug. We shall see, as you say it is only a matter of time. :-)
I carry my Dragonfly EVERY day and use it a ton. It is a great little "Big" knife and I prefer the choil as well. It can take on majority of normal EDC cutting tasks.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I vote dragonfly or ladybug also, and just to let you know they will be releasing the manbug in ZDP this year as well.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I know it's outside your parameters, but how do you feel about the Caly 3 in Zdp?

It has some carbon fiber instead of the BRG FRN.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

PanChango wrote:I know it's outside your parameters, but how do you feel about the Caly 3 in Zdp?

It has some carbon fiber instead of the BRG FRN.
VERY good. We have one in the shop and it's gorgeous; super smooth. The wire clip works really well and the carbon fiber feels nice and smooth without being polished, or slick. Unfortunately out of the price range, for a good little while at least. Plus I like the idea of completing a matching frn set before I move into the fancier stuff.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just throwin this out there ;)

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

michaelm466 wrote:I vote dragonfly or ladybug also, and just to let you know they will be releasing the manbug in ZDP this year as well.
FFG? One more to add to the list...

rondv

Post by rondv »

I found that I like to carry the Stretch and D'fly on the farm, hiking, fishing, shooting, and the Delica + Ladybug around town, church, eating out, so I'd get the D'fly. I find that I hit the confirm and submit button all too often!

rosconey

Post by rosconey »

just ordered a zdp dfly- i do like the h1 quite a bit
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

You said the Stretch ZDP was the first Spyderco you ever used. The collector in me certainly understands you want to complete the BRG/ZDP collection (and what a sweet collectiong it will be), but don't ignore the multitude of other amazing offerings Spyderco has. By all means, complete your collection, but do yourself a favor and pick up a few others along the way.

Oh and to answer your original question: ZDP Dragonfly for sure!
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF