Anyone use Loc-tite on their clip screws ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MIL-DOT

Anyone use Loc-tite on their clip screws ?

Post by MIL-DOT »

Earlier today, I removed the clip from my PM2 to bend it a little tighter, and noticed how litte there is of those little screws. I'm thinking about "going back in" and putting a few molecules of Loc-tite on them, but then thought, for once, that I might should first ask around before doing anything stupid. :D
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I put a dab on my dfly clip screws.. No ill effects as yet..
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I use the blue loc-tite on every screw with no ill effects.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Cool, thanks guys. I first searched "loc-tite" and didn't get anything useful. I was thinking that maybe it would be problematic trying to later remove the tiny little screws if they were cemented in place.
I think I'll go mess with that right now ;) .
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Use the blue! The red one is next to impossible to break loose.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I've never had trouble removing screws/bolts that have had loc-tite applied.. Sure, they require a bit more torque, but it's not like they're cemented in place. You should be fine, MIL-DOT:thumbsup:
and cut through the air
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I use the blue as well. Helps to keep screws in and clips tight.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

dsmegst wrote:Use the blue! The red one is next to impossible to break loose.
this depends on the grade. There are different strengths of red, but typically you are right. red is usually for more permanent apps and typically takes a lot of force to remove. For the little screws on the knives, blue would be ideal.

I need to get some as well. Some screws are left a little loose for proper function and would be best if secured with loc-tite so they do not work loose
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I use the blue on all my clip screws, i use as much as the screw will hold and still don't have problems breaking the screws loose if needed.
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

+1, Blue.

Gordon
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

When I ordered several replacement clips from SFO, they included a small packet of the blue Loc-Tite with my order. Very nice of them to do this.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I guess another alternative would be this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Teflo ... ctions.jpg
We use it at work all the time.. It's super thin and is easily applied, even to these dinky knife screws..
and cut through the air
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Well, I just grabbed several knives and went to the kitchen table and dove right in. First thing I noticed was that the screws in the PM2 already had blue loc-tite on them, so I goobered 'em up again, and re-installed them. Then I did the Stretch, which DIDN'T have any loc-tite, so i did that one up,too.
Then I went into the native5 and it also had already been treated with blue loc-tite. But then, I somehow seem to have either stripped one of the screws or the inner thread when re-installing :mad: .
I was going to do the the Manix2, Sage and Dfly, as well, but decided to just leave them alone. I may go back into my two Delicas, since I tote them pretty often.
And yeah, I'm using blue loc-tite as well, thanks again to all for the replies.
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

Tdog wrote:When I ordered several replacement clips from SFO, they included a small packet of the blue Loc-Tite with my order. Very nice of them to do this.
Same here.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
Slash

Post by Slash »

Your knife. How much do you care about not loosing any screws on the clip.

If I dissemble the blade and I think the screws needs loctite, then I put it. Although, I don't think it's needed on most knives.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

MIL-DOT wrote:Well, I just grabbed several knives and went to the kitchen table and dove right in. First thing I noticed was that the screws in the PM2 already had blue loc-tite on them, so I goobered 'em up again, and re-installed them. Then I did the Stretch, which DIDN'T have any loc-tite, so i did that one up,too.
Then I went into the native5 and it also had already been treated with blue loc-tite. But then, I somehow seem to have either stripped one of the screws or the inner thread when re-installing :mad: .
I was going to do the the Manix2, Sage and Dfly, as well, but decided to just leave them alone. I may go back into my two Delicas, since I tote them pretty often.
And yeah, I'm using blue loc-tite as well, thanks again to all for the replies.
That is a terrible bummer, man! :eek: I'm always afraid with these tiny, fine threads..they are SO dang easy to crossthread. Plus, I'm not convinced the hardware is that great to begin with (the screws, that is). But that's a different thread.
and cut through the air
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Slash wrote:Your knife. How much do you care about not loosing any screws on the clip.
Well, until I owned Spyderco's, I never used clips, and often considered just removing them on knives I carried regularly. But some of my previous views have changed recently, and now I really dig the clips, and use them consistently.
And I've lost not only the tiny clip screws on other knives, but the thumb stud on the blade,once, so I don't think loc-titing them is paranoid over-kill, or anything, and neither must Spyderco, since they apparantly loc-tite at least some of them.
Anyway, I just dove back in, and loc-tited the screws on both my Delicas and my Dfly. The Delicas went well, but I felt like the screw in the Dfly had turned too many times, so I just stopped turning, hoping all was well. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had bad luck stripping screws so I special ordered some purple from my local auto parts store. Purple is the weakest grade but it's still plenty strong enough to hold such tiny screws.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

dsmegst wrote:Use the blue! The red one is next to impossible to break loose.
Red is supposed to be heated to loosen it. Usually a soldering iron works well.
mattman

Post by mattman »

use caution on 'tip-up' knives, I've read that you can contaminate the pivot with too much loctite... (no personal experience...)