G-10 Harpy vanished, Must replace ASAP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

G-10 Harpy vanished, Must replace ASAP

Post by JD Spydo »

The day I dreaded more than a double root canal or another brutal knee surgery has come :( I've either lost or misplaced or someone stole my G-10 Harpy :( That knife has been a dear friend and constant companion of mine for years now but it's truly missing, misplaced or got stolen I don't know which at this point.

I can't go without the daily usage of a mid-sized Hawkbill and the Harpy is truly my favorite for everyday usage because of it's extra rigidity. So I guess I'll just go ahead and get a new stainless handled, VG-10 SE Harpy. I don't hate stainless handles but I just don't like them as good as G-10 versions.

I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a way to modify a slick stainless handle to give it the extra grip that I find desirable? I'm wondering if there is some type of coating or knurling or rubberized surface treatment that I could do to a stainless Harpy to make it feel similar to my ol' G-10 Harpy?.

I'm going to order the new Harpy tomorrow so I'll have it by the end of the week so I have time to figure out what I'm going to do to make the new one suitable. OH by the way Mr. Glesser if you are watching this thread and there is any possibility of a new run of G-10 Harpys coming down the pipeline please chime in let us know :)

But what can I do to a stainless handle for added grip is what I'm looking for. Or another G-10 Harpy if there is one available anywhere ;)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I saw one listed on one of the BST forums recently.
Good luck replacing it.
:bug-red-white
billy blade

G10 harpy

Post by billy blade »

sorry to hear about your loss JD! I'll keep an eye out of one and PM you if i find one!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

People have taken skateboard "grip tape" and put it on their Spydies for added grip.

Also, are you opposed to FRN? Maybe replace the lost Harpy with a Merlin. I think it's a suitable substitute.

I hope the lost Harpy turns up somewhere. Good luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
JD Spydo

I'm holding out hope

Post by JD Spydo »

Jay_Ev wrote:People have taken skateboard "grip tape" and put it on their Spydies for added grip.

Also, are you opposed to FRN? Maybe replace the lost Harpy with a Merlin. I think it's a suitable substitute.

I hope the lost Harpy turns up somewhere. Good luck.
Thanks for your quick response Jay_Ev :) Oh I like the Merlin and Tasman models both and I have 2 of each. But they just don't have that extra rigidity that I always admired from the Harpy model. You might say that I'm just bit picky and possibly quite a bit spoiled on quality blades :D

I have 2 PE Tasmans and one SE Merlin>> The Merlin however I consider somewhat of a collector piece anymore and I probably won't use that one.

If anything I might settle for a SE TAsman until I can locate another G-10 Harpy. And I'm hoping that Spyderco might be prompted to have another run of them being the resurrected G-10 Police seems to be doing well for them.

Yeah I've heard of the skateboard tape and I might give it try. I might even try an epoxy with some grit in it. I'm still hoping that it might pop up in the next day or 2. I've got a sneaking suspicion that it got stolen though :mad:

Thanks for the good responses guys and please folks any help will be much appreciated :)
jeffc

Post by jeffc »

You could always engrave a grippy patern into it. Seen lots of stainless spydies engraved and im sure that adds traction. Maybe even an aggressive bead blast or stonewash?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I am going to throw my vote in the hat for bringing back the G-10 Harpy. Would love to see Spyderco do another run of these.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD,

PM sent. :)

Take care,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Jay_Ev wrote:I am going to throw my vote in the hat for bringing back the G-10 Harpy. Would love to see Spyderco do another run of these.
I'd definitely be in for a G-10 Harpy sprint. In something like a dark brown or dark blue.

I hope the grey G-10 is over.
:bug-red-white
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Joe,
I am sorry to hear about your loss.
I hope that you will be able to replace it soon.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Jay_Ev wrote:I am going to throw my vote in the hat for bringing back the G-10 Harpy. Would love to see Spyderco do another run of these.
THIS +1

Make it Blue G-10 :D
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey jd
sorry to hear about such a loss
ive had my g10 harpy for about a year now and ive carried it every day since i got it.
my pe edc changes every day or two, but i cant leave the house without my harpy.
its been one of the most useful knives ive ever carried.
im with you on the stoutness of this knife.
even lined frn cant hold a candle to lined g10.
i dont think you would be happy with the skateboard tape option.
i went through that faze and i have the ripped up pockets to prove it. its just too grippy.
i have seen a kind of rubberized version of tread tape that might work out a little better, but i dont have any experience with it myself.
keep the faith and maybe your beloved harpy will turn up and it wont be an issue.
meanwhile, ill keep an eye out for a replacement for you.
again, sorry for your loss.
btw, im all for a g10 sprint in about any color!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

From one hawkbill fan to another,I`m really sorry about your loss :( ,if I had one to spare,I would send you one,good luck my friend.
rondv

Post by rondv »

C08GS G-10 Harpy listed now on the bay.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I guess you could consider laminating a thin piece of G10 onto the non-clip side.?. I also considered 120 grit sand blasting both sides of the handle for extra grip. I hope against hope that you will find your beloved knife when you next do the laundry. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JD Spydo

I appreciate the support

Post by JD Spydo »

It's gut-wrenching to lose a great Spyder but it's double gut-wrenching to lose a holy grail, disco'd, rare as a hen's tooth Spyder :o :(

Thank you all for your kind words of support. I really would like this also to be another "BRING BACK THE G-10 Harpy THREAD" Because the Harpy is simply a much better blade in G-10.

But I"m going to check out Bladeforums which I'm a Gold Member of and see if I can come up with one over there maybe. But I'll probably go ahead and get a stainless VG-10 mainline version to have one to use in the meantime.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

As a fellow hawkbill fan, I'm sorry to hear about your loss, JD.
Hope you will find some sort of replacement soon.
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

I'm another who would love to see a g10 harpy sprint!

I'd buy one (or two :D ) no matter what the steel or handle color but pleeease make it a reversible clip!