Whats your favorite knife brand other than Spyderco

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Bluntrauma wrote:Yeah I know which one you're talking about, I think they call it the snapp knapp. I don't have that one but it looks like a nice little utility blade. the people at BHK are just good folks and their knives are really well made. they feel very close to custom with their basic production models and you can always have them do upgrades upon request to get an even more custom look. I had no use for fixed blades until I bought one a couple of years ago. Now I have about 25 of them. Finally found a use. :)
Maybe fixed blades are just like pocket knives. I've carried a pocket knife all my life and don't understand how someone could live without one. But, people who never carry one don't realize how often they come in handy. If the do start carrying one they realize how often they do use them. I have thought about wearing a neck knife inside my shirt. If I do, it will be the small Tiger Knapp w/kydex sheath. I tried a neck knife once but wore it outside my shirt and it was always swinging in the way. But under the shirt may work for me. A small knife with no worry about pivot strength or it getting dirty would be nice. I can't see myself ever carrying only a neck knife though. It could be the second EDC knife which I do usually have.

Jack
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I have a couple of Izula's and a BK11 that I bought for neck carry and ended up putting micarta on them and carrying them on my side. Strangely, with all the **** money I have spent on knives, my BK11 finds its way into rotation more than any of the others. When I bought it I wasn't too crazy about it.

Handle felt too short, almost gave it away. Then I decided to strip it, put a patina on it and give it some micarta. Then got a custom sheath of it and now I can't put it down. Not a fancy looking knife and by no means a super steel but I just love it.

Maybe it was the small mods I did to it that made me feel like it was mine. Who knows but it regularly bumps 300.00 knives out of my pocket.

Start and finish..

Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Jarhead90

Post by Jarhead90 »

I have a few Cold Steel fixed blades and a SE Voyager XL that I carry with my
first spydie, an SE Endura. I also have a CRKT Bear Claw and a Tops Wolf
Pup. I would have never discovered CS but my Endura was MIA for a while so
I got the Voyager.
-Trevor

Endura
Temperance 2
Tops Wolf Pup
CS Voyager (SE)
CRKT Bear Claw
Native--M.I.A.
Paul Moore "custom" Knife
Meyerco Wharning
Shivworks Disciple
angusW

Post by angusW »

For the last few years the only folders I have owned have been Spyderco's. The only non-Spyderco folder that I'm interested in at this time is the DPx Hest 2.0.

My favourite non-Spyderco is Bark River. Their knives are simply outstanding.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HighDesertSpyder

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

Victorinox & Spyderco.
I have a metric ton of SAKs; most are either rare, very unique, or Limited Runs.
:spyder:74:spyder:
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Only knives I carry are Spydercos, Victorinox and Bark River
power is nothing without control
bitbyte

Post by bitbyte »

My older knives that I bought years ago are a Lakota Lilk'Hawk, a real Benchmark Rolox Viper (before Gerber bought Benchmark) and a Spyderco CoPilot which I literally EDC'ed for 20 years. I bought it in the late 80's and finally replaced it 2 years ago with a Benchmade Snody 14210.

I still have my CoPilot and miss carrying it, that was one well made knife. Sadly, I was doing the spydie flick to open it up about 10 years ago and it slipped from my hand. The corner near the blade pivot hit the ground and it has opened really tight ever since then. nothing I've been able to do will loosen it up.

I do have a Sog Flash 1 and 2, bu tthey are knives I use when I dont care what happens to it. I'm an axis-lock/arc-lock/ballbearing lock junkie. I won't buy any other lock style these days.

Unfortunately it's pretty slim pickins for BBL type Spydies. *cough* :(

Apart from that, these days it's Benchmade mostly, although I did just order a Manix 2 with the Carpenter steel blade (Its going to be delivered tomorrow). I'm afraid it may be too big for EDC and am trying to talk the wife into letting me get the orange sprint dodo. I just wish it had a caged ball lock and liners.

Is there any chance we will be seeing some smaller knives with CBBL anytime soon? Think Manix 2 the size of a Sage 3. Or something along the lines of the Dodo or Poliwog but with the CBBL instead of BBL.

Tim
bitbyte

Post by bitbyte »

My older knives that I bought years ago are a Lakota Lilk'Hawk, a real Benchmark Rolox Viper (before Gerber bought Benchmark) and a Spyderco CoPilot which I literally EDC'ed for 20 years. I bought it in the late 80's and finally replaced it 2 years ago with a Benchmade Snody 14210.

I still have my CoPilot and miss carrying it, that was one well made knife. Sadly, I was doing the spydie flick to open it up about 10 years ago and it slipped from my hand. The corner near the blade pivot hit the ground and it has opened really tight ever since then. nothing I've been able to do will loosen it up.

I do have a Sog Flash 1 and 2, bu tthey are knives I use when I dont care what happens to it. I'm an axis-lock/arc-lock/ballbearing lock junkie. I won't buy any other lock style these days.

Unfortunately it's pretty slim pickins for BBL type Spydies. *cough* :(

Apart from that, these days it's Benchmade mostly, although I did just order a Manix 2 with the Carpenter steel blade (Its going to be delivered tomorrow). I'm afraid it may be too big for EDC and am trying to talk the wife into letting me get the orange sprint dodo. I just wish it had a caged ball lock and liners.

Is there any chance we will be seeing some smaller knives with CBBL anytime soon? Think Manix 2 the size of a Sage 3. Or something along the lines of the Dodo or Poliwog but with the CBBL instead of BBL.

Tim
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Check out the P'kal. 3" blade about Sage sized, waved, etc.
bitbyte

Post by bitbyte »

Blerv wrote:Check out the P'kal. 3" blade about Sage sized, waved, etc.
Yeah, I've seen the P'Kal. The design is as a weapon. While its very cool looking the ergonomics for non tactical purposes aren't very good and knife laws usually make stipulations about normal knives versus ones designed specifically as a weapon. I'm on the fence about whether I want to test that. Besides, the sheeples I workmwithnwould probably have a stroke if I pulled that out.

It's very cool looking though, that's for sure and it goes to show that the CBBL can be used on sub 3.4 inch knives.

Thanks for the tip though. It definitely is a Knife I tend to forget about.

Besides, if you ask me, they ALL should use the ball bearing lock! It's not like I'm biased or anything. :D
spyker

Post by spyker »

My favorite knife brand of them all,without a doubt.....Emerson.

As much as I do love Spyderco,I love my Emerson's more.
numb

Post by numb »

SAK, mora, fällkniven and würsthof kitchen knives I guess. Its what I use on a daily basis alongside my spydercos.

/N
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Leatherneck wrote: Image
I love the blade shape. Is this some limited run of Griptilian?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jossta

Post by jossta »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:It's called CUSTOMS...Doc :)
What he said.

Les George
Michael Burch
Todd Rexford
John Gonzalez
Jesse Jarosz
Doc Schiffer
Jeremy Marsh
Brad Southard.....

:D
JLS

Post by JLS »

jossta wrote:What he said.

Les George
Michael Burch
Todd Rexford
John Gonzalez
Jesse Jarosz
Doc Schiffer
Jeremy Marsh
Brad Southard.....

:D
I've resisted so far, but custom fixed blades are very tempting. The only thing that has kept me from doing that is the Mules. They offer enough variety of "non-standard" factory knife steels to keep me interested. I love my Temp 2, but customs aren't much more...

You guys aren't helping the issue. :p
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
jossta

Post by jossta »

If you like fixed blades, check out Jarosz Knives and Barker Knives. Both of those dudes grind like machines and aren't too pricey, although I don't think they're taking orders right now either.

Jarosz Scout:

Barker one off in 3v

FYI, not my knives, not my pics.
JLS

Post by JLS »

jossta wrote:If you like fixed blades, check out Jarosz Knives and Barker Knives. Both of those dudes grind like machines and aren't too pricey, although I don't think they're taking orders right now either.
You're a bad person. ;) I'm not finding much on Jarosz with a quick search, but I'll keep digging. Barker makes some really nice stuff. His small wharncliffe has me thinking and the tanto neckers have enough of a gradual transition that I don't mind them. Hmmm.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
jossta

Post by jossta »

Jesse is brand new, but his grinds are super clean. He has some photos on his facebook page. Jesse M. Jarosz.

Here are some pics of him measuring that knife I pictured above. Pretty much dead on symmetrical to the thousandth of an inch and he just started grinding like last year.

ImageImage

Slash

Post by Slash »

meet Jesse at the USN gathering this past summer. kool guy and nice work as well.

forgot about my BM Snody design blades. Sibert has some very nice designs as well that BM puts out.