Gayle Bradley lock access mod...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zencowboy

Gayle Bradley lock access mod...

Post by Zencowboy »

Howdy, I decided to do this modification on one of my two Gayle Bradley knives...the one I use. I know we all have different tastes in our knives and daily edc carry preferences (don't hate me;-). I really like this knife but was so hard to close for my specific thumb so took my time and wanted to do a good job to respect the overall craftsmanship of this knife. I did it with a dremel sand wheel ( Very gently), then 200-600 wet/dry sandpaper. I am so happy with the ease of closing now it is fun :D

Excuse the Boeing T-90 film on blade, (like Tuff-Glide):

Same knife and time but different background:
Pro-V

Post by Pro-V »

Well done! How long did this take? I've thought about doing something similar, but am afraid of messing up such a beautiful knife.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

thats a cool nifty mod :D
Polar L

Post by Polar L »

Here's mine. The one at the left is ever so slightly modded but it makes big difference.

darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

After using mine for a couple hours yesterday, I want to do this.. And maybe add some jimping on the index choil.
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Polar, that looks exactly like mine. I was reluctant to do this myself so I sent it to a knifemaker in North Carolina. Took a while to get back as he is also a full time student, but he did a great job. That little added relief makes it a joy to open, and oh sooo smooth. Love my GB
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Good job! looks right!
If I had a Bradley, I would do the same. Most aggravating, when you can't unlock.

I think this might be the most modified Spyderco?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Zencowboy

It took 3 hours

Post by Zencowboy »

It took me about 3 hours due to being gently and slow with the dremel. Then hand sanding to line it back up and to make it look factory done. Sooo much easier for this thumb to close it now :)
Thanks!
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Its interesting. Most people, myself included, use the tip of their thumb or the pad of their thumb to close a liner lock. It seems to me the GB was designed, both by the evenness of the lock and its position on the handle, for you to close it with the bottom of your thumb at the joint just under the first knuckle. Try it like that for a while and you might just get to like it. Which is not to say that I don't condone your mod, I initially considered it myself, but now I prefer it the way it is. ;)
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Well, it's not too pretty :o . But much easier to close, now :)
I might go back in later and smooth out some of the iffy spots..
and cut through the air
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

Hunterseeker5, I do agree on using my thumb right below the joint, but my weird thumb could barely get in there and was, IMO too slow closing for me in public. Now it is just as fast as other liner locks for me. Thanks.

Darkstar, looks good. I had to polish mine to make it back to factory looking for my personal taste.

Everything is all beautifully subjective ;)
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Very nice! I'm not even going to try this and screw mine up though...lol I'm just going to get rid of it. It's a shame. I love the knife, but it makes my thumb hurt like ****! I work inside and wear a suit everyday though...so I don't have tough callused hands that can take the punishment.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Thanks, Zenocowboy :) . I just did a real quick job with the dremel..maybe 40min total.. I did use polish, and it's pretty shiny. The problem was I used a skinny, conical shaped bit. It kept wanting to 'eat' deeper than I wanted to go.. I got it mostly smoothed out--nothing rough feeling, or sharp. It just looks unprofessional.. :D
I want to add jimping on the index choil sometime, and I'll probably touch up the booboos then :D
and cut through the air
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Alchemy1 wrote:Very nice! I'm not even going to try this and screw mine up though...lol I'm just going to get rid of it. It's a shame. I love the knife, but it makes my thumb hurt like ****! I work inside and wear a suit everyday though...so I don't have tough callused hands that can take the punishment.
Take up guitar, Alchemy :) That'll get you some calluses right quick :D
and cut through the air
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

OMG, one of my best friends in college, and eventually roommate, was a music performance major. He let me screw around on his guitars and even taught me a little bass. I never realized how tough playing the guitar is on your fingers...HAHAHA

Oh well, we're off topic...LOL
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Oh, yeah! For the first month or so, guitar flat-out abuses your fingers. It gets better, though. Those finger and thumb caps build up quick ;)

On topic: If you really like the knife and the only thing stopping you from keeping it is the release, there may be someone willing to do this mod for you.
****, I'd do it for free. I'm just not very good at it.. :D
and cut through the air
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How could I hate a fellow modder? ;) It's very well done, I might add.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

darkstar29 wrote:Oh, yeah! For the first month or so, guitar flat-out abuses your fingers. It gets better, though. Those finger and thumb caps build up quick ;)

On topic: If you really like the knife and the only thing stopping you from keeping it is the release, there may be someone willing to do this mod for you.
****, I'd do it for free. I'm just not very good at it.. :D

I appreciate the offer/thought. I may take you up on the offer. Part of the problem is that I have two GB's (long story) and they both just lay around. I really only need the one, but I don't use it because it's a pain...literally :p

darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Well, if you're serious Alchemy, pm me.. It wasn't a flippant offer..
and cut through the air
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

PM'ing you now.