Spyderco Forums Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alchemy1

Spyderco Forums Sprint Run?

Post by Alchemy1 »

I'll be brief and hopfuly details will form as the thread builds.

Well, I have noticed that a few other forums have had or will be having Spyderco Sprint Runs. Why don't the people that probably love Spyderco the most have one!? I know it is simpler said than done, but why can't we have a Sprint Run of one of the cheaper models to keep cost down and make sure they sell? Maybe we could use a site like kickstarter.com to make sure the project is funded?

This idea came to me because I am probably going to buy the Endura Emerson Opener Tactical Armorer Tool. I plan to buy my first Glock in February for my 30th birthday.

My vote for a Spyderco Forums Sprint Run goes for a bright green or orange G-10 Manbug. Picking a model with cost in mind.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I have seen this thread started a few times this year. I doubt we will ever see it. Short of someone putting up the green to comission a run of 600 pieces or more, then collecting money from everyone and dealing with shipping. I can tell you that someone is not me.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Given that we're a much smaller group than USN, and given how wicked, well priced, and desirable the USN catcherman is, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it appears doing a sprint run for this forum might be a pretty dumb idea financially. I didn't appreciate that when I was discussing it before, but I sure do now.

IF, and its a big if, spyderco were to do a sprint run for us it'd likely have to be a Golden, CO model and likely not highly specialized.

My guess is that we'd be best off just trying to piggy back off some other knife/sprint out there, and to hedge their bets spyderco should really just take preorders on it. Really then you're looking at a knife thats only different in the color G10 used.
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Theyve made forums knifes before theyre usually natives right
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

All valid points and some are pretty big hurdles. I did not think about the shipping aspect of this at all. However, I don't see how financing would be an issue if we used a site like kickstarter.com. Either you have the goal amount by the set date or you don't. If you don't no money exchanges hands one way or the other.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

jeffc

Post by jeffc »

Native 5, 20cp steel with tan or brown g-10. Ill take two lol
me2cyclops

Post by me2cyclops »

blue jigged bone damascus bolstered manbug :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There used to be semi-regular forum knives. Seems we have gone a while without one.

The last purple FRN FFG Native that was done caused wailing for months. It had to do with a dealer buying like half a dozen and the knife selling out in half a day.

Anyways, good idea as always. Would be nice to have a forum knife again. Especially one each forumite had a chance to buy before releasing to the world.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

A "forum knife" and a forum sprint run are two different things. The forum knife is created on spec by Spyderco and sold by them.

A sprint run is specified, paid for and sold by the forum.

If I had the money I'd back a sprint run
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Blerv wrote:There used to be semi-regular forum knives. Seems we have gone a while without one.

The last purple FRN FFG Native that was done caused wailing for months. It had to do with a dealer buying like half a dozen and the knife selling out in half a day.

Anyways, good idea as always. Would be nice to have a forum knife again. Especially one each forumite had a chance to buy before releasing to the world.
Good info. Well, I guess asking doesn't hurt. I've always heard a closed mouth doesn't get fed. Maybe we can get enough buzz going to get a "forum knife" in the works. Hopefully we get a little input, but I'd be happy to just get an exclusive.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

So was the Purple FRN Native a "forum knife" or a forum sprint? If the prior, what prompted the movement from Spyderco? Was it a landmark event or something else?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just want a red G10 handled Para 2 with a black DLC blade! Spyderco colors! S30V is fine and it'll keep cost down but i wouldn't complain about 20CP :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would love to see something simple like a white FRN Stretch in SB. That could make for a really nice forum sprint... don't you think?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

I like that color combo! Does your name have anything to do with DJ Evil D...completely off topic?

Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I love the idea of a forum knife! I really don't care what it is, just as long as I get to buy one. :p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Actually Sequimite, I believe some forum knives are made for a specific audience similar to a targeted sprint (USN, Spyderco forums). Ones bought by a forum owner would be considered an exclusive.

Really it's down to who fronts the money/risk, Spyderco or an independent. The EDC moonglow is on the exclusive list.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Poor Sequimite tried very hard to get us to agree on one model. We were never able to come to a definitive consensus. In all honesty, the reason we don't have a forum knife is because of our inability to agree. That's not really bad, it's just reality.

The problem is that people are very passionate about using their knives. Therefore, a number of models have devoted followings that want their particular model to be used. Factor in price and you have a recipe for disagreement.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

D1omedes wrote:In all honesty, the reason we don't have a forum knife is because of our inability to agree. That's not really bad, it's just reality.
I totally disagree.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

me2cyclops wrote:blue jigged bone damascus bolstered manbug :)
OMG that would be EPIC