Paramilitary 2 - Tip Up or Tip Down carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

Tip Up.

The only knife I carry tip down is the Military, and I would carry it tip up if I could.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm thinking that if you want to carry a backup knife clipped to your back right pocket, you might want to use tip down. The reasoning would be the same opening reason you would have with the front right pocket.

The problem I have is that there aren't many LBK's that offer tip down as an option. Meerkat is the only one I know of.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I actually duct tape two Millie's together facing the opposite direction, that way I can carry tip both.
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I carry mine tip up because at work i have alot of stuff in pockets, and it was scratching the back of the blade so i swapped the clip to tip up and never looked back!
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
wvguy8258

Post by wvguy8258 »

Evil D wrote:Allow me to instill some fear in you :)

No idea how it happened but it cost me a stab wound in the palm of my hand.
With that exposed spydie hole, might it sometimes be easier to accidentally open it when tip-down? Of course, if it does up when tip-up the ramifications will likely be worse, it seems. So, is there a trade-off? Blade stays closed better tip-up but if it does open, then tip-down is better?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wvguy8258 wrote:With that exposed spydie hole, might it sometimes be easier to accidentally open it when tip-down? Of course, if it does up when tip-up the ramifications will likely be worse, it seems. So, is there a trade-off? Blade stays closed better tip-up but if it does open, then tip-down is better?
The only way i can make sense of it is, it must have not been completely shut the last time i put it in my pocket and the tip must have snagged something on the way in and opened as i pushed the handle down into my pocket. Then the tip had nowhere to go so it poked through. I was talking with a coworker and brushed my hand along my hip/thigh and stabbed the outside of my palm. It wasn't long after i switched to tip up, but it wasn't just for this reason.

The main reason i like tip up is because i can't stand scraping my hand against the thumb jimping when i put my hand into my pocket. I can tolerate it on some knives, and i'd sooner tolerate it with a big knife like the Military before i would carry something that big tip up, because it's too far from the pivot when pulling it out of your pocket and requires too much grip fumbling to get it in position to open it. I think if i carried a Military i would carry it clipped to the outside of my right back pocket, that way the spine is still against the corner of a pocket and i could pull it out by the pivot and spydie drop it open.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I carry my Para Military 2 without the clip. I take all the clips of my knives. My PM2 rests perfectly in my pocket. Clipless.
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

Blerv wrote:I like tip down but hate the jimped thumb ramps when trying to bypass the knife reaching in your pocket.
Tip up on all my Spydies. Only knives I carry tip down are Kershaw flippers. Just seems like a more natural movement.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
syphen

Post by syphen »

Para 2 tip up with STR low ride clip is my favorite way to carry them.
Too many Spydies to list!
TCRooster

Post by TCRooster »

Tip up here as well. Most of the knives in the 3" - 3.5" range work best for me that way.

Otherwise, I carry smaller knives loose in my pocket, or the Military as tip-down.
dustyzz

Post by dustyzz »

Tip up for me... as previously state in multiple posts, tip up places the spine of the blade against the back of my pocket, helping to prevent unintended blade deployment. Also tip up also allows the small lanyard I have to hang freely outside of my pocket.

/dusty