Buying a straight razor...?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Niles

Buying a straight razor...?

Post by Niles »

I'd like to give straight razor shaving a go, and figure on scouting antique shops for one on the cheap. Can you guys give me advice on how to identify a quality razor from a crap razor?
Do no harm. Do know harm.
JD Spydo

Great website

Post by JD Spydo »

There is a great website that is totally dedicated to straight razors along with sharpening equipment for them and strops and any type of maintenance you can encounter. Go to >> www.straightrazorplace.com<< You will find a huge amount of information there as well as ratings on each model. They also have the best information on sharpening methods and sharpening equipment that I've ever encountered.

They also have several links to great vendors who deal in high quality razors as well as great sources for sharpening equipment and anything dealing with maintenance of razors.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

+1 on straightrazorplace . If it turns out to not be too great, try out a Dovo razor
butch

Post by butch »

if you get the shot at buying a new razor hard to beat one made in the USA hartsteel
but i do agree abot the picking up a used one to see how yoou like it and you can make all your mistakes and not worry about messing up a new custom piece
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Butch is modest, his shop made razors look stunning!!

Get your razor sharpened by a pro first so you know what a sharp razor is supposed to feel like.
Niles

Post by Niles »

Alright, I checked out SRP, went to an antique shop and bought this guy for $30:

I have no idea if that was a good deal or not, but it strikes me as a cool razor.

It was pretty dull. I sharpened it up to 3000 grit but it's not ready to shave I don't think. I figure on sending it to whipped dog (only because he's the only person I know of) for honing. Unless you guys would suggest someone different...?

Thanks for all the advice.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Whipped dog is great. His poormans strop was my first. Glen (gssixgun) at gemstar customs also puts a real nice edge on blades.
Niles

Post by Niles »

One more question. I'm pretty worried about that 90 degree tip. Would it be horrible of me to grind that down to a rounded tip?
syphen

Post by syphen »

Niles wrote:One more question. I'm pretty worried about that 90 degree tip. Would it be horrible of me to grind that down to a rounded tip?
The square tip is fine. I've had no problems using them before. The whole process is about slowing things down and taking your time - do the job right.

I shave more with a Shavette because it seems my stropping technique sucks and often I don't feel like stropping at all. Toss a new blade in and go!

Dovo Shavette with green holder and personna rigid shaper blades gives a good shave that is very much like a straight razor to use.
Too many Spydies to list!
butch

Post by butch »

a slight rounding youd be no problem (called muting the tip) if you really wanted to you coould make it a round point (its your razor after all)

i like a slight muted tip as i shape my goatee with it and too much a round heel or toe makes that harder
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Nice, Niles! That razor will do you just fine. Good luck on learning to use it. I've enjoyed my journey over the last six years.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
syphen

Post by syphen »

My straight; Boker Tree Brand with brown micarta. And emergency backup / when-i-dont-have-time-to-strop. The Shavette with green holder actually works very well.
syphen

Post by syphen »

Improved pic:
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Nice kit you've got there, syphen!
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **