Whats the worst cut you got with a Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pigslayer

Post by pigslayer »

I have not cut myself since spyderco started jimping the cra* out of the knives..Thank you spyderco!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Flipping an original Manix 1 with a combo blade shut. Nipped my knuckle and laid it right open to the bone.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I believe that Cat Stevens once said that the first cut is the deepest.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Rhiney wrote:Bolster -- my guess is cutting bagels.
Correctomundo!

...and now, for the bonus round...what time & day of the week sees the most knife injuries to the ER?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Tank

Post by Tank »

I cut off the corner tip of my right ring finger off with my SS SE ATR. Someone at work bumped me right as I was cutting open a box. All they could do at the hospital is cut away the shreds left from the Serrations and tthrow a dressing on it.. nothing left to stitch. That was years ago and since then only miner cuts here and there.
-John
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

SpyderNut wrote:
(I was in a hurry and was trying to open my knife as I was pulling on a pair of jeans).
WHY? :D At least you got your FINGER!
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

First day I had my kiwi 3 it snapped closed on my palm fat, with that razor edge, I didn't stand a chance.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
scatteredsage

Post by scatteredsage »

While doing on-site tech support, I needed to remove some stuck-on gaffers tape holding a bundle of computer cables flat against a desk. I pulled out my (freshly sharpened) Stretch and started splitting the gaffers tape apart. I was stupidly cutting toward me, with my left hand below the blade, supporting my body as I bent over the desk. The blade slipped and the edge caught the outside of my left thumb, cutting me open parallel to most of my thumbnail. All this in front of a room full of new graduate students (I work at a university).

One of my co-workers is an EMT, and told me to go get stitches. I ended up with "liquid stitches" (read: super glue) which they told me was the equivalent of 2-3 stitches.
Latest :spyder:: Stretch FRN ZDP-189
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I was fondling my Pacific Salt at work one day and dropped it. It was open and I caught it by the blade. Luckily it only sliced open one finger. I bled all over an elevator on my way to the nearest first aid kit. It healed excellently.

Good catch huh?
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
dwayne1341

Post by dwayne1341 »

Brand new Waved Delica, the day I got it (the day before Thanksgiving Day).
Played around, well my hand kinda went forward and the knife backward. It only cut one finger, but it cut it to the bone. Bled for about 30 to 40 minutes even with constant pressure. Then lots of liquid bandage (aka medical glue) plus two regular bandages. Last of all a big stiff drink because my **** finger hurt like ****. Gald it started to heel up and it's also the reason I bought a Waved Delica Trainer right after Turkey Day.

dwayne1341
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Enkidude wrote:I was fondling my Pacific Salt at work one day and dropped it. It was open and I caught it by the blade. Luckily it only sliced open one finger. I bled all over an elevator on my way to the nearest first aid kit. It healed excellently.
At least it didn't hit the floor and get damaged. That would have sucked!
dwayne1341

Post by dwayne1341 »

"At least it didn't hit the floor and get damaged. That would have sucked!"
Oh Yea, far better to cut yourself and bleed all over the place than to drop the knife.
I'd have done the same **** thing you did and got cut just the same.

dwayne1341
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had a couple small but deep cuts, but i've been pretty lucky so far. I did manage to stab the palm of my hand with my Para 2 a while back. It wasn't very wide but it was about 1/4 inch deep and was pretty sore for a few days.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Posted about it at the time-ish.

Still a funny story...

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... ht=gunting

-And I still have the scar. :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SpyderNut wrote:@ Chuck:
Good gosh, man! :eek: :eek: I'm hoping you switched to an electric razor after this event. ;) Hope your face is on the mend. :)
I went with my multiblade monstrosity :D

That cut was a couple months ago and since it was very clean, it healed right up.
SpyderNut wrote:As for my worst Spydie-inflicted injury...

Once upon a time, many moons ago, I failed to fully engage the lock on my SS Harpy. (I was in a hurry and was trying to open my knife as I was pulling on a pair of jeans). In the end, I looked down in horror to see that my right index finger was wedged firmly between the handle and the razor-sharp teeth of the Harpy. :( After a quick trip to the ER (they know me by name) I returned home with four stitchs across my knuckle (Oh! And did I mention that I was forced to get a tetanus shot? :o ). I later discovered that I had accidently sliced through one of the ligaments/tendons in my knuckle. Because of this, my right index finger has a permanent "arch" at the knuckle. I like to think of it as my personal Spyderco tattoo. :)
I hope you have full function after you heal. Yours is much worse than mine.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Sitting at table. Piece of paper on table. Michael Walker on paper. Moved the paper enough for the knife to be off the edge and it fell and stabbed my foot (no shoes of course). FYI, a foot holds a lot of blood. :eek: :) It stabbed me pretty good. It took about 30 - 45 minutes to stop the bleeding. I had to use a paper towel and electrical tape stretched tight to bandage it. I should have gotten stitches I guess but didn't.

Jack
-F1

Post by -F1 »

dwayne1341 wrote:
-F1 wrote:At least it didn't hit the floor and get damaged. That would have sucked!
Oh Yea, far better to cut yourself and bleed all over the place than to drop the knife. I'd have done the same **** thing you did and got cut just the same.
I was being somewhat facetious, but there is an element of truth to it. I'd rather cut myself than drop one of my $180 or even $65 knives onto a hard surface.

I think it's just instinctive to try catching something as it falls, without thinking about it.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I went with my multiblade monstrosity :D

That cut was a couple months ago and since it was very clean, it healed right up.

I hope you have full function after you heal. Yours is much worse than mine.

I'm glad to hear that you are no worse for the wear following your shaving incident. :) As for switching to the "multiblade monstrosity," I hope that you are referring to a Gillette and not the C44 Dyad. :eek: :) :p
As for my index finger: I still have some difficulty trying to fully extend it due to the trauma to the tendons. Cold weather especially seems to cause more stiffness in the joint. :( However, it doesn't cause me any pain/discomfort. It just looks kinda' funny. :)

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I've never had any serious cuts with a Spydie..just nicks and such.. But I will share what happened to a great friend of mine..
I turned him on to Spyderco a few years ago, and he promptly went out and bought a half and half delica..he loves it.

Anyhow, one day about a year ago, I stop by his place to have few brews. Instantly upon arrival, I notice a huge gauze wrapping on his left arm just above the wrist. Obviously I'm intrigued and ask "What the **** happened to you?"

He proceeds to share an amazing tale.

Him and his wife stopped at the local bar the night before for some wings..
The place was pretty packed due to it being 20cent wing night..
They were sitting at a table near the bar, generally absorbed with each others company and conversation, and not paying too much attention to the surrounding patrons.

When, seemingly out of nowhere, a guy at the bar stands up and begins shouting threatening obscenities at someone further down on the other end of the bar.. The other guy takes the bait and hollers is own insults back. This prompts the first guy to start his movement toward the object of his ire..

Now. My friend was keenly aware of the potential threat to his wife(who they had recently discovered was pregnant). And, it became quickly apparent that the mans path was going to lead right by their table.. He was poised and ready to take action if he felt any threat directed their way.
The approaching man and the fella he was after (who was also starting to approach from his side of the room), were now in full-blown 'I'm gonna beat the living S*** outta you,' mode.

Still watching the first guy, my friend sees him reach in a pocket and deploy a knife! As the man gets even with their table, my friend springs for the arm/hand holding the blade! The man, with reflexes on par with a cats (according to my bud :) ), blocks the initial attack and brings the knife down on the back of his arm, slicing him deeply.. While the initial disarm attempt failed, the man dropped the knife in the ensuing scuffle, and was promptly subdued by other patrons..

By this point in the story, I am a virtual picture of rapt attention, hanging on every word..Not just because of what my friend had done, but also due to his almost super-human story telling, which I have always admired him for.
He had me right where he wanted me.. :)
Sensing he had me, he stops talking.. Looks away. Looks back. And starts smiling. I knew I had been had.. And proceeded calling him very inappropriate things :D
After my tirade, I ask "Well, what really happened, a**h***?'
He gets an embarrassed look on his face.. This make me feel better :)
He says he got drunk after work the other night and cut himself with his delica while trying to open some frozen dinner thing..At 3am.. Then he had to wake his wife up (who is a teacher and had school in the morning) and have her drive him to the ER where he received 12 stitches..
I told him to stick to the first version. :D

We've been friends since elementary school, and I have TONS of stories about the stuff we've gotten into. But this might be my favorite one of all..
Sorry for the long post, and thank you for reading :)
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SpyderNut wrote:I'm glad to hear that you are no worse for the wear following your shaving incident. :) As for switching to the "multiblade monstrosity," I hope that you are referring to a Gillette and not the C44 Dyad. :eek: :) :p
As for my index finger: I still have some difficulty trying to fully extend it due to the trauma to the tendons. Cold weather especially seems to cause more stiffness in the joint. :( However, it doesn't cause me any pain/discomfort. It just looks kinda' funny. :)

-Michael
LOL, yeh a Gillette.

As for the stiffness in your finger, I hope that time will move the stiffness to where it's wanted. ;)