How's this for irony ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Last year I ordered a digicam Millie and didn't notice that it was out of stock at the time. Quite a bit of time had passed and still no Millie. We were getting ready to leave for our summer vacation and I got word that it was going to be delivered. The night before we left, the wife and boy and I headed to my office to see if it had been delivered before we left. It's a 50 minute drive and we were trying to pack etc.

The wife says, so we are making this special trip when we are so busy for what, a knife.
I said "It's not a knife it's a Military, a Digicam Military for crying out loud." Nuff said. It was there, and I was happy, although the 4" was too big to carry where we were headed (Colorado), so we stopped at the SFO and I picked up it's little bro, Para2 to rest in my front right pocket. Great vacation.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Ho-hum.... :rolleyes:
Yeah; you hate me, we're enemies. I get it. I actually got it a few threads ago.
ricechrispy wrote:CORRECTION: -F1, I think your avatar and your signature suit you very well because I imagine you're unhappy and selfish.

Thanks for your help with that. If the members of this forum can tolerate the stream of pessimism and negativity you contribute, then I'm sure they (if not you) will forgive my occasional typo.
"Imagine" is the key word there.

Yeah, I'm the bad guy. No one seems to realize that I was not the first to make it personal. Poor form or not, questioning someone's use of a word is not a personal insult. Who was the first to make it personal? There is a one-word answer to this.
jabba359 wrote:Is it ironic that the person implying that others don't know how to use a dictionary doesn't see that the dictionary contradicts his paradigm of irony?
No, it's not ironic, because it's not true. I didn't fail to understand the definition; I simply didn't think this scenario applied to the definition we agree on. I can now see how it does.

The person who made the comic linked to above was actually quite ironic him/herself... Because they assail people for wasting time and being picky, but they (1) spent hours making that comic; and (2) condemn the behavior of others. It reminds me of the person who screams at others to stop screaming, or the parent who strikes their child and says "We don't hit!" The comic on irony is itself ironic.

I was wrong. And I will never again play grammar cop. But please; to whom it applies--feel free to continue labeling and maligning me, because at least you won't be picking on grammar when you do that.

Is everyone happy now? I sure am!

BTW, "Never serve what doesn't serve you." is absolutely not any sort of defense of selfishness or a statement of opposition to charity. (Maybe I should make a comic explaining it?)

P.S. MIL-DOT, if I offended you, I apologize. It was not my intent. I admit I was being a bit of a smart-***, but I wasn't trying to be a jerk.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well this thread definitly became disappointing. Which is ironic because I come to this forum to avoid such trivial bickering.
:bug-red-white
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Well I've tried to be conciliatory, I've apologized (in thread and twice via PM). I've even changed my avatar to reflect the new me. I think maybe we can let it die now? I think that approach makes more sense than posting again and again that the subtopic has gone on too long.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

-F1 wrote:Well I've tried to be conciliatory, I've apologized (in thread and twice via PM). I've even changed my avatar to reflect the new me. I think maybe we can let it die now? I think that approach makes more sense than posting again and again that the subtopic has gone on too long.
Hey dude, I like the new avatar!
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Well.....SHAZAAM !! You guys have kept the ol' ball bouncin' :D .
I saw the PM'd apology from -F1 before I even knew what the **** was going on,LOL, but it didn't really seem necessary as far as I was concerned ( so, no worries,bro, smart-assery is my bread and butter ;) ).
As for my use of the term "irony", I meant that it was ironic that the ONE time my stuff ships out at mach-speed, I won't be here to take advantage of the speedy delivery, so the definition posted by Jabba most closely fit my use and understanding of the term: "an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected."
So is everyone all hugging and making-up like we're backstage at Oprah ?? :)
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
-F1

Post by -F1 »

MIL-DOT wrote:So is everyone all hugging and making-up like we're backstage at Oprah ?? :)
I was thinking more like Jerry Springer... ;)
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

-F1 wrote:I was thinking more like Jerry Springer... ;)
Touche' ;) .
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

thats ironic.... :D Nice new avatar F-1....now I kind of miss the old one :p
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

-F1 wrote:I was thinking more like Jerry Springer... ;)
That was the exact same response I was going to post a few minutes ago, word for word.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think it's a nice avatar -F1, but consider the source of the compliment :) .
jeffc

Post by jeffc »

These are the days of our knives....lol
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

jeffc wrote:These are the days of our knives....lol
Nice one :D
GotDogs

Post by GotDogs »

Like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our lives<---- I can't believe I said that. Anyhoot <--- is that even a word? Man I love this place!! John :D
I may look calm, but in my head I've killed you 3 times.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I think Sal mentioned once that in this medium it is good to "Try not to be too annoying and try not to be too easily annoyed" Sound advice :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Pro-V

Post by Pro-V »

Ok, there has to be an "Alanis Morrisette" joke here somewhere, but it's late, and I guess I'm just not that funny, because I couldn't make one work. Here are a few of the failed attempts;

-Alanis called, and she wants to use this thread in her next song.
-Alanis wants to know what the fuss is about?
-Alanis is just glad the Irony Police are finally off her case!

I even thought about registering an "Alanis" user account to comment on this thread . . . Maybe I'm just over-thinking it?

Anyway, enjoy your new PM2, Mil-Dot!