For Sale or Trade Section??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

For Sale or Trade section for Spyderco Knives

Yes
50%
No
44%
Don't care either way
7%

Total votes: 153

Macaulay

Post by Macaulay »

The above reasons against the trading forum hold true, but there is one ultimate reason why it'll never happen on these forums, and the Spyderco crew will not want to say it.

Simple: promoting the second hand market is against their business interests. If they put it here on their own site, a curious customer will think "Ooh, I can get a LNIB Para 2 for $90 instead of $100". One para 2 can change hands 10 times on the secondary, Spyderco and its dealers pocket money only once.

An extreme example is the video game industry- because of the nature of video games as physical media, gamestop sells the a game, buys it back for pennies on the dollar, and repeats. The developers recieve money only once.

Gamestop has singlehandedly killed off many struggling game studios in the fast few years.

Note that this is an extreme example, but it still applies.
Now, secondary market arguably has it's benefits (I would personally disagree),
but it is definitely not in the interest of a first party to promote it.
"████ ██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love █████ ██████ ███ your █████ ████ government."
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

I feel it would be chaotic. As Sal said, it would take a lot of work to moderate something like that. I like being able to come to this forum to just read up on things, learn a thing or two and get to know some guys(I haven't participated in chat yet; perhaps I need to do that).

There are other avenues for finding those elusive Spyderco's. Ebay of course.. other forums; I feel that's sufficient. The Spyderco Forum is different, different is good! I like the forum just the way it is.

Sal is KING, I'm Sir Waffle The Enchanter. :D <-- What a weirdo.
[Waffle]

This world is made of.. Love and Peace
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

First off, it's Spyderco's site and they gets to make the rules. If they thought a B-S-T sub-forum was a good idea, there would be one here. But they don't. Sal has articulated that numerous times in the past and again yesterday. Might that change, sure, but I sincerely hope it does not.

As other have noted, there's no shortage of other places to to these things, so having it here would not fill a genuine need. In fact, it might be detrimental to those forums that require paid membership to sell.

Speaking of which, even with the degree of security paid membership adds by forcing people to provide real names and addresses, the BladeForums Exchange still has problems with scam artists, not to mention the cases where two parties simply cannot agree on whether a knife was in the stated condition and what should be done about it.

Some of that recrimination, and complaints about eBay sellers, already finds it way here. Having a B-S-T area here would increase that tremendously.

FWIW, I don't think the secondary market hurts knife manufacturers to anywhere near the same degree it hurts the video game industry. Rather, I think most folks who sell a knife use the money they receive for it to finance a new one. In reality, all that's changed in most cases is who buys the new knife and what model gets purchased.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BAL

Post by BAL »

The Deacon wrote:
FWIW, I don't think the secondary market hurts knife manufacturers to anywhere near the same degree it hurts the video game industry. Rather, I think most folks who sell a knife use the money they receive for it to finance a new one. In reality, all that's changed in most cases is who buys the new knife and what model gets purchased.
That's a great point Deacon. I think that you are correct. Knife nuts like most of us here are always looking for that OTHER knife that they don't have and do what they can to come up with the coin to feed their habit.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

For me this is simple: Sal's house, Sal's rules. Everybody supposed to read rules before join.
And to tell the truth, I like this way.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm meh, I would be happy either way.

There are a lot of good bst forums.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

phillipsted wrote:I kind of like not having the marketplace here - it focuses us all on the discussion. There are plenty of forums for buying/selling/trading stuff.

Just my $0.02.

TedP
I agree. And I think that just having the marketplace will change the personality of this forum by attracting buyers / sellers who have no other interest in this forum. That may not happen, but I just don't see the need to open another marketplace with so many outlets available now.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The other major issue, if B-S-T was allowed, would be where to draw the line.

Out of production Spyderco products only?
Spyderco non-restricted products only?
Spyderco products only?
Spyderco products and Spyderco related items only?
All knives and knife related items?
Anything that can be shipped?

Aside from the last, no matter where Spyderco drew it, some would complain and others would ignore the restriction just as the current rule against B-S-T posts gets violated at least once a week. Which, in turn, means more work for the mods, policing sales threads for compliance. Then to, there'd be the inevitable hurt feelings when someone posts "CONUS only" in their sales thread. And, the less sales are restricted, the more people will be attracted who have no interest in Spyderco knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
unit

Post by unit »

1. There are other places to sell you stuff.
2. Spyderco already has a place to buy stuff.
3. Would you like to see someone start a pole to decide if we ought to have a big party in your living room tonight? That would probably be sort of insensitive, wouldn't it?

Sorry if this comes off in poor taste, I think suggesting the forum develop an area that is specifically counter to the current guidelines is a poor choice.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Bearcat1

Post by Bearcat1 »

Sal is the boss and we should respect his opinion. :cool:
Mad is bad. - Sal :)
2cha

Post by 2cha »

No. Keep it clean. Wherever there are sales, there are poor seller practices as well as all of the differences of opinion, angst, and resentment that go along with them.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

While I would like to see a buy/sell/trade site for Spydercos, I can understand why Sal does not want one here. Just setting up and regulating the site would be an added cost and even a few bad transactions would create a lot of headaches.

That being said, I would like to see Spyderco team up with another site or have a recommended site that dealt exclusively with Spydercos, preferably with similar buyer and seller protections like ebay.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JLS

Post by JLS »

unit wrote:1. There are other places to sell you stuff.
2. Spyderco already has a place to buy stuff.
3. Would you like to see someone start a pole to decide if we ought to have a big party in your living room tonight? That would probably be sort of insensitive, wouldn't it?

Sorry if this comes off in poor taste, I think suggesting the forum develop an area that is specifically counter to the current guidelines is a poor choice.
#3 puts things in a humorous, but appropriate light.

Like many others, I feel that the Spyderco forums are not at a disadvantage for lacking a BST area. Thanks for having us, Sal and company!
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

I agree its Sal's decision, but i would like to see FS/WTB section.
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It would probably lead to a lot of threads started by members with 2 posts that go something like this:

Question about Delica?

Hey guys, just got an awesome new Delica, lol. What's you're fav Delica? It rox and my favorite next to my Gerbers. Mine's listed up for sale in the BST section! Priced to move, lol! Check it out!
:bug-red-white
unit

Post by unit »

JLS wrote:#3 puts things in a humorous, but appropriate light.

Like many others, I feel that the Spyderco forums are not at a disadvantage for lacking a BST area. Thanks for having us, Sal and company!
Thanks

That is what was intended.

Honestly, I am surprised that this thread has not been moved to "off topic" yet since it does not seem to discuss Spyderco products or history.

I sincerely appreciate this forum and its current stance on BST!

Ken
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

As much as I would LOVEEEE a BST here on the forums, I voted no.

It would open a big can of worms.
Come Join Us Click Here
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

I'm fine with it as is.
It does seem like it could be a hastle for Spyderco.

I use BF to sell/buy.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gbelleh wrote:It would probably lead to a lot of threads started by members with 2 posts that go something like this:

Question about Delica?

Hey guys, just got an awesome new Delica, lol. What's you're fav Delica? It rox and my favorite next to my Gerbers. Mine's listed up for sale in the BST section! Priced to move, lol! Check it out!
Didn't even think about that.

Currently there have been a flurry of threads titled with something like, "so check this" or "Delica?" A BST subforum would multiply this tenfold with the mere intention of pre-qualifying a second-hand purchase.

Obviously forumite time isn't equivalent to money but we sure aren't personal shoppers. At least those people at Nordstrom's get a sick commission. :D
GotDogs

Post by GotDogs »

I voted nah ...... I like that this forum is free of all the angst generated by Happy / Unhappy customers etc. When I want to trade as I dont / wont sell I go elsewhere. The only advantage to BST in my opinion is it boosts member counts. JMHO, John
I may look calm, but in my head I've killed you 3 times.