For Sale or Trade Section??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

For Sale or Trade section for Spyderco Knives

Yes
50%
No
44%
Don't care either way
7%

Total votes: 153

Zencowboy

For Sale or Trade Section??

Post by Zencowboy »

Benignly asking. I would rather sell or trade a spyderco to a good home as my 1st choice than sell online elsewhere. Also, giving forum members 1st dibbs as well. Just an idea.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I kind of like not having the marketplace here - it focuses us all on the discussion. There are plenty of forums for buying/selling/trading stuff.

Just my $0.02.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Couldn't hurt. If you don't want to participate just ignore the fact it exists.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I agree with phillipsted. The conversations may vary but that's the goal of everyone here.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My initial reaction was to vote yes because I loved the ability to find rare Microtech blades over on Microholics, however I have to agree with Philip. The focus being on discussion is way more important to me as a forum member. I vote no....at least for now.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I would like to have one here but Sal has said time and time again he does not want one here.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I do not see how having a FS/Trade section will impact discussions. I think its a great idea and one of the things I looked for when I first signed up. No better place to sell/trade your Spydies IMO.

Not everyone is a member to all the knife forums and not eveyone cares to be. I myself to not want to be a member to 100 different forums.

I do not see how it would hurt anything. Also you can do like other forums and make it only available to members with a certain after a certain amount of posts.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Slash

Post by Slash »

Spyderco's forum, Spyderco's rules...Don't care either way.

Maybe they'll change, maybe they won't?
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

phillipsted wrote:I kind of like not having the marketplace here - it focuses us all on the discussion. There are plenty of forums for buying/selling/trading stuff.

Just my $0.02.

TedP
I'd have to agree with you on this aspect as well. I like how it is all discussions here and people aren't just hanging around for a good deal. Yes it would be nice but there are other forums for buying selling trading in my mind. I love how I can come here and know there will be great insightful discussions. Try knife-bst.com if you want that thing, it was basically started for this forum because we don't have a bet portion.

Just my thoughts but if it happened I'd be fine with it too.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

J Smith wrote: Sal has said time and time again he does not want one here.
Slash wrote:Spyderco's forum, Spyderco's rules.

this question gets brought up every so often. Bottom line, we are guests. Sal has said he doesn't want it so I don't see it happening even if all the members on here asked for it. just my opinion.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
feed_the_animals

Post by feed_the_animals »

As has been said before, "Sal's house, Sal's rules". Little he does seems to be without deliberation and good cause.

And for my part, a ban on commerce seems to preserve the congenial atmosphere here.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

J Smith wrote:I would like to have one here but Sal has said time and time again he does not want one here.
Same thoughts here. I understand why Sal and Co. would not want a marketplace but it would still be nice to have, I think.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

No, that's what blade forums is for. Can't really see it happening on a business affiliated/ran forum, because it would cause a lot of potential problems etc...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Not interested. There are plenty of other places to buy and sell (including the free unofficial Spydie market, knife-bst.com) and are frequented by forum members. I think it's a good policy for Spyderco to keep themselves separate from the secondary market, as people may easily confuse Spyderco's practices with those of the non-affiliates.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zencowboy,

There were a few reasons why I felt the forum would be a better place without a marketplace.

1) I believe that the addition of selling would change the "action" of the discussion. Other than announcing new products or the selling of the Mule Teams, there is very little discussion of commerce. We occassionally have a raffle for a charity. There must be some safe havens where the almighty dollar is not elbowing its way into our interests.

2) We really don't have the manpower at Spyderco to whom we could designate such a responsibility. We are fairly small and everyone is running as quickly and efficiently as we can.

I'm sure relevant crew are aware of this thread. We'll watch for comments.

sal
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

Thanks Sal and everyone thus far. My horizons/awareness has been expanded from the comments in a positive light. I can see both the for/against and don't want to mess up a great thing :)

P.S. Sal, I am open for a part-time job, Live 17 minutes away ;)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

All the slimebag flippers would vulture around, buy and resell and undermine pricing strategies. Too labour intensive to weed out the sh@theads. Nay.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Part of me wishes that there were a trade/sell forum here because I would trust the people here more than random individuals, plus I like to sell to good homes. But like has been mentioned, it might ruin the atmosphere, and might draw some undesirable people around.

I really think that we as a group should be making use of knifebst.com a lot more. I know it doesn't have the traffic so can take a bit longer to sell on, but it is an unofficial bst for this place. So lets make use of it!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Cheddar said what I wanted to :p .

I come here to learn. With a search engine and credit card/Paypal it's not hard to find knives. Plus the swimming pool is more relaxing without the floating troll bait.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

no - too much unneeded liability for spyderco and independent sites cover most demand effectively.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!