Ankle holster

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Enkidude

Ankle holster

Post by Enkidude »

I've been contemplating getting an ankle holster for my carry pistol. Does anyone have experience carrying in an ankle holster. Whats a good holster for this style of carry? What sorts of things should I be aware of?
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Enkidude wrote:I've been contemplating getting an ankle holster for my carry pistol. Does anyone have experience carrying in an ankle holster. Whats a good holster for this style of carry? What sorts of things should I be aware of?
There are good and some not so good ankle holsters. I like those made by Alessi Holsters, check out their website by googling their name. Also remember that the ankle is a really tough place to draw a firearm from. FWIW, I would never carry a primary in an ankle holster, but as far as a back up goes..I'm all for it. Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
JLS

Post by JLS »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:There are good and some not so good ankle holsters. I like those made by Alessi Holsters, check out their website by googling their name. Also remember that the ankle is a really tough place to draw a firearm from. FWIW, I would never carry a primary in an ankle holster, but as far as a back up goes..I'm all for it. Doc :D
Agreed on all points! I can't specifically recommend a brand, but I will fully support that it's the place for a backup gun rather than a primary. Your primary gun should be somewhere on your waistline. Front or back, right or left is up to you and dependent on the circumstances.

You never want to go cheap on any holster, but especially not on a ankle or shoulder holster. Cheap, flimsy holsters make carrying a gun almost unbearable. A proper investment into a good holster makes the gun far less noticeable to others and far more comfortable for you.

Where ever you carry, practice draws at home from standing, sitting, supine, prone and various compromised positions. Some of these get quite intersting with ankle or shoulder holsters. I hope you find the solutions that fit your situation.

Remember that gunfights are only scripted in the movies. If you could choose the circumstances of your next gunfight, you wouldn't show up! :) Since you can't choose, you make the best of a crappy situation.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Dr. Snubnose wrote: I like those made by Alessi Holsters, Doc :D
I have 2 Alessi IWB holsters and another on order. One just arrived, I ordered it in the late spring. Be ready for a wait. The delay was much longer than for the first holster I ordered from them. I didn't mind the delay too much, just a heads up.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info very much. I understand that the ankle isn't the best place for carry, but the first rule is "Have a gun".
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.