Spyderco sage 1 vs chapparal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheWildernessKidd

Spyderco sage 1 vs chapparal

Post by TheWildernessKidd »

??
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I don't have a Chapparal but the Sage 1 is one of my favorite knives that I own.

The fit and finish was second to none. Absolutely perfect lockup and perfect everything.

I picked it for the flow through easy to keep clean design of the liner lock. I'm sure the Chapparal is a beautiful knife if you don't mind the lockback.

Just my 2 cents.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Similar materials, but different lock, and very different size.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think the Chap is more like a James Bond Dragonfly2 than a mini-Sage. Never held one but it's on the list!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Sage 1 is one of my all time favorites and each of the 3 I own are smooth as butter to open and close and fit and finish are superb. I recently bought a Chap and while the overall appearance was nice, it was difficult to open and bent my thumb to close. I sent it back and would probably have to handle one in person to consider buying another despite the high praise around here. I know that sometimes a knife slips through that isn't up to Spyderco's high standards. Lastly, the size of the Sage 1 is, in my book, just right.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If I could have no other knife but a Chaparral, would I feel disappointment? Hardly!

But the Sage series is my favorite for EDC. Like all in the series, the Sage1 is beefier than the Chap. It fits my large hand better and gives nearly a half-inch more cutting edge on a 1mm thicker blade.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Sage1: As perfect for EDC as any knife I've seen for me.

Chaparral: A perfect EDC knife with a little less UMPH as the Sage1.

I like a liner lock better than back lock for ease of use. I like both though. The lock and a little size difference are the main differences. I have and carry both. If I could only have one it would be the Sage1.

Jack
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

Just ordered the Sage 1 (amazon for $85) so couldn't pass up. Heard too much good about it. Now just want to get sage 2;-)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The Chaparral is slowly growing on me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
angusW

Post by angusW »

I prefer the Chaparral over the Sage 1 for two reasons. One is the Chaparral is more left handed friendly and secondly I consider both a gentleman's knife but on two occasions now the Sage 1 got some reactions from some nkp. The Chaparral is smaller and a bit more low key.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Just get them both like the rest of us!

The one thing I do not like about the Chap, is the clip irritates my hand for some reason, but doesn't on the Sage or other knives with the wire clip. I am not sure why.

If I had to pick just one, it would be tough but I would probably pick the sage. Reason being is that its about the perfect size; not too big or too small. The Chap is slightly smaller but I think its designed for smaller tasks. I guess it depends on what you are looking for exactly. This is like comparing apples to oranges
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

I won't lie I was a little disappointed with the Sage 1.

It really is a gentleman's knife. Really no thrills or sexy features. It is a great knife but if you are a younger guy you may not enjoy it as much.

Some pros:
Super light
good quality
looks nice
good steel and ffg makes a great slicer
wire clip is good
liner lock is good

Cons:
spine and deployment hole are sharp and rough on hands
carbon fiber handles are not too grippy
jimping is not aggressive enough for my tastes
pretty expensive for what it is
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?