Price Check: Spyderco Captain?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ICSK

Price Check: Spyderco Captain?

Post by ICSK »

Hello forumites, I recently came across this knife on the second hand market and bought it as an impulse purchase. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how much it's worth.

The blade is in GREAT condition (as detailed in the photos) with a couple of minor scratches that can only be seen in the right light. It's a shame I couldn't capture them. It still has the factory edge; though that edge is worn down and the knife is dull. I couldn't capture this on photo. The pocket clip is probably the knife's biggest problem - as it has the most wear. The rest of the knife seemed pristine!

Almost forgot to mention: I don't have the box. Does this hugely detriment the value?

This is not a thread with the intention to sell the knife.

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

What a great knife....one that I myself am on the hunt for. Congrats! Looks a bit worn in places but overall a solid knife!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would be surprised if it wasn't in the $115-140 range. NIB maybe closer to the $150 mark.

It's a very unique knife with an eccentric loyal (and perhaps scarce) group. None of this in a bad way; it's just not a model with many comparable models. Similar to the Dodo except to a lesser degree as it was discontinued only a couple years ago.

Really it comes down to how much the person wants it and what the seller wants for it. Thy don't come around often I reckon.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I would say $85 to $125, based on clip wear and no box. It's a great knife and sought-after. Anyone buying this on would be a user, not a collector. No box will probably not impact value on this one due to the fact that the knife is not in mint condition.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Im jealous, they go for a pretty penny on the evil bay
Cheers!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I purchased mine at the 2010 Blade show,and paid $100.00,It was in new condition without the box.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Goodluck with your eBay auction.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I was able to grab one on the USN a couple years ago for $65 but it was lightly used so it wasnt NIB. Good luck!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Also if you could get ahold of a new clip before you sell it I think you will have a much better turn out. It would just be easier on the eyes, i know that clip probably works perfect but I think it would help out quite a bit to have a nice new all black one.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
ICSK

Post by ICSK »

spyderHS08 wrote:Also if you could get ahold of a new clip before you sell it I think you will have a much better turn out. It would just be easier on the eyes, i know that clip probably works perfect but I think it would help out quite a bit to have a nice new all black one.
I was considering it. I don't think there are any more Spydercos made with that clip though. The closest one I could think of is the Military but that one is slightly curved whereas this clip is straight.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Can you possibly recoat it? On second thought, that'd probably be too expensive, and not worth the little price gain. I would keep the knife myself.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

It might be worth taking the remaining coating off and putting a nice shiny finish on it though.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point