Spydercos for large hands

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I imagine the Large Persian 2 would be a dream for someone with large hands. I have medium sized hands and never figured out why the Large Persian operated like it does, I got a Small Persian and it fits my hand like a glove. Everything on the small Persian feels like it is part of me.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I didn't notice that you are in New Zealand and consequently am doubly sorry I neglected to mention the Kiwi. It is the miraculous to me how well it fills and fits my hand. I haven't tried the new cheaper slip joint version, but as it is larger it must also work well.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

The upcomming Szabo folder will be the perfect knife for you! LOL :)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I pick the millie and caly 3.5, :D Superleaf may be to your liking too
Johann

Post by Johann »

jezabel wrote:P.s if your anywhere near Auckland give me a holla if you need to "try on" a few Spyderco's .... trust me I know what a pain in the behind it is when you cant try something out first.
That's very kind of you, but I'm way down in Dunedin -- the middle of nowhere as far as Spyderco availability goes. Thanks, though.
Sequimite wrote:I wear XL or XXL gloves depending on brand.

The original C95 Manix pinched my little finger, anxious to try the new one.
Definitely interested in hearing how well it fits you. Keep me posted. :D
Adriaan wrote:The upcomming Szabo folder will be the perfect knife for you! LOL :)
Haha, yeah, you're probably right. That's thing's ridiculous.

I'm glad to hear that the GB is a giant-friendly knife. The military and the superleaf also look rather tempting.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The best thing you can do online is to find a knife you have, look for comparison pics, and size up where your hand would fall. It's somewhat convoluted but might help.

For example: You know your first three fingers are comfortably on a Delica or to a certain point. Find a picture of a Delica, Endura, and Stretch together (or a few knives next to your control). Resize and print that picture. You could even cut them out if you felt so compelled.

A more simple solution is to find a knife that you like and find it next to another one in a picture. A Gayle Bradley compared to a Manix2 or Para2. You can probably eyeball it from there.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I have to disagree about the Stretch...I love mine, but my hands, which are large-ish, only just fit the Stretch.
I have to agree. I have ridiculously small hands for a man (we all have our crosses to bear I guess), and the Stretch seems smallish even in my hand. Not too small--I love it to pieces--but I can't imagine having big hands and liking it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have pretty big hands and there's plenty of room left in the Para 2 for even bigger hands (or gloved hands).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gph

Post by gph »

Blerv wrote:The best thing you can do online is to find a knife you have, look for comparison pics, and size up where your hand would fall. It's somewhat convoluted but might help.

For example: You know your first three fingers are comfortably on a Delica or to a certain point. Find a picture of a Delica, Endura, and Stretch together (or a few knives next to your control). Resize and print that picture. You could even cut them out if you felt so compelled.

A more simple solution is to find a knife that you like and find it next to another one in a picture. A Gayle Bradley compared to a Manix2 or Para2. You can probably eyeball it from there.
I've just been lurking here but I signed up to say that this is the right approach.

I wear XL or 2XL gloves. My Military is the only folding knife I've owned that feels luxurious in my hand. With my index finger in the front groove the outside edge of my pinky touches the point where the handle begins to curves away towards the lanyard hole.

When you have a knife that's popular you can watch knife videos on youtube or the like and often find a video of the same person holding your bench mark knife.

So, to the OP, I guess your best bet is to go with one of the more popular Spydercos and you'll be set from then on.

Incidentally, some of the smaller Spydercos also work well with large hands. I have a Sage 2 that allows me to get a good grip with all of my fingers while not feeling like I'm working to keep the knife in my hand.
Truckie453

Post by Truckie453 »

For what it's worth I really like my Gayle Bradley and I wear XL motorcycle gloves.
-Vinny

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.

:spyder: endura (lost)
:spyder: dragonfly
:spyder: Gayle Bradley
:spyder: Para 2
:spyder: Purple Delica 4 (lost)
:spyder: Yojimbo 2
:spyder: Orange Delica 4
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

My Manix XL came in today and it's one tank of a knife. Great for someone with large hands.

Here's a short review I made on the knife...hopefully you can get an idea of the size.
Manix2 XL Review

I also second what others have said in regards to the Police G-10, Military, and Gayle Bradley. The GB is probably going to be next on my list of Spyderco's to buy.

Good luck!
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I do not have big hands; so I do not know, but the GB's handle is the same size as the PM2 :confused:
Granted its a different design I do not know how big hands would fit if he said the PM2 is not big enough. I can kind of see where bigger hands would benefit, cause the ergos are a little different for my medium sized hands. top to bottom, the handle of the GB is wider which would be more comfortable in larger hands, but actual length could be a minor deterent, IDK.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Evil D wrote:I have pretty big hands and there's plenty of room left in the Para 2 for even bigger hands (or gloved hands).
I am assuming you mean using the choil....cause behind the choil, my hands JUST fit. Sadly that is where the knife is comfortable to hold...and part of the reason I would do away with the choil...but that is not a conversation for this thread...but yeah behind the choil, the Para2 seems to be a medium to large hand grip. If a guy has large to xL hands...might not be all that great.
Johann

Post by Johann »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I am assuming you mean using the choil....cause behind the choil, my hands JUST fit. Sadly that is where the knife is comfortable to hold...and part of the reason I would do away with the choil...but that is not a conversation for this thread...but yeah behind the choil, the Para2 seems to be a medium to large hand grip. If a guy has large to xL hands...might not be all that great.
Yeah, using the PM2 and choking up on the spine/choil makes it somewhat ok to use. Any other grip has my ring finger pushing my little finger off the back end.

Along with what others were saying, I figured that the GB might work because the handle looks a little bigger/thicker and a little less restrictive in terms of where you can hold it. I could just play it safe and buy a military, but that would come with its own host of problems, haha.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Johann wrote:Yeah, using the PM2 and choking up on the spine/choil makes it somewhat ok to use. Any other grip has my ring finger pushing my little finger off the back end.

Along with what others were saying, I figured that the GB might work because the handle looks a little bigger/thicker and a little less restrictive in terms of where you can hold it. I could just play it safe and buy a military, but that would come with its own host of problems, haha.
Sounds like your hands are slightly larger than mine, so I can see how the P2 isn't great for you...The GB might be better, iot is less sculpted and I find that I have plenty of room. Itmight not be what you are looking for...but the Valloton has a great handle. Long and with pretty much no built in ergos. You might find that the most comfortable...
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I have rather big meaty hands and I find the mid size Spydies without a choil not that comfortable.

Military fits like a glove, my Para1 downright hurts without the choil.

Most of the little big knives fit perfectly as wel with the Kiwi and Dragonfly at the top.

And when I hold the Kiwi Slip it Stag it really becomes part of me. I think because of the slightly longer handle than the original.
Ordered the ss version of it and I'm curious about that one, because the stag one doesn't carry that comfortable in my pocket because of the thick handle slabs.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I am assuming you mean using the choil....cause behind the choil, my hands JUST fit. Sadly that is where the knife is comfortable to hold...and part of the reason I would do away with the choil...but that is not a conversation for this thread...but yeah behind the choil, the Para2 seems to be a medium to large hand grip. If a guy has large to xL hands...might not be all that great.
Yeah if i grip behind the choil my pinky is just past the tip on the butt of the handle, but i'm a choil guy so i'm using the choil 99% of the time. If your hands are any bigger than that i'd recommend the Military or Poilce because handles don't get much bigger than that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
alerin

Post by alerin »

Catcherman and Rock Lobster
Johann

Post by Johann »

Evil D wrote:Yeah if i grip behind the choil my pinky is just past the tip on the butt of the handle, but i'm a choil guy so i'm using the choil 99% of the time. If your hands are any bigger than that i'd recommend the Military or Poilce because handles don't get much bigger than that.
So realistically, my options are the military, the police or (maybe) the GB. Bleh, it's such a pain being big.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Evil D wrote:Yeah if i grip behind the choil my pinky is just past the tip on the butt of the handle, but i'm a choil guy so i'm using the choil 99% of the time. If your hands are any bigger than that i'd recommend the Military or Poilce because handles don't get much bigger than that.
So your hands would be just a bit wider than mine...my pinky just covers the lanyard hole, so is at the edge of the handle.

So it looks like the list for really large hands is: GB, Vallotton, Military, Police and maybe Endura.

Plus some of the small three finger knives like the Kiwi, Squeak...