Most classy gentleman's knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Yeah, the Bradley Air will allow a gent to open a trailer load of mail before it needs sharpening.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think the Techno and the Jester G-10 sprint will both make great new gents folders.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

I know it's not in the same league as the other knives you guys have mentioned but I absolutely love how sleek and sexy the lines on my centofante 3 look. I just feel like it looks so refined. I think if it had some carbon fiber handles it'd be an amazing gents knife. I also like the look of the Memory if I remember it correctly.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i'm partial to this centofante myself :p

WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

For me original Jess Horn has no competition, unfortunately for me I never owned this knife. Out of my knives this would be original Persian (I am not sure if I can consider it a gent knife, probably too big), but for me it is classiest out of whole flock. The runner-up in my book is original 75 mm Persian and most of the Kopas.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Of the knives I own, the CF Kopa and the Nishijin CF Lum Chinese has to be the two most elegant knives. Sage 1 comes very close to the top also.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

For my money, I have a hard time topping the original Spyderco Solo SO-01. The picture is in my signature. Black micarta scales. Thin thin thin. And very discrete...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I would say my classiest would be my Orange Jigged Bone Damascus Delica. I do not find the Michael Walker to be very classy, although I love the design. I am so far not too fond of buffed CF. I may make new scales at some point in time.

For upcoming, I would say Centofante Memory and Air Bradley
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The bolstered small persian is pretty classy.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Macaulay

Post by Macaulay »

Mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but I definitely think it's the Navaja.

The carbon fiber is beyond beautiful. Those bolsters add a really nice "heft" to the look, and make it smell classic. And the way the end of the blade closes up with the end of the handle? WOW!
"████ ██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love █████ ██████ ███ your █████ ████ government."
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I'm off to a wedding tomorrow, I'll probably pocket carry the Sage 1 and slip a clipless Tasman Salt into the jacket, because of its light weight.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Just based off what I have to choose from I would say one of my Dino Bone Executives or one of the Micarta Jess Horns, black, white, burgundy.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

1. Cricket
2. Jigged Bone Kiwi
3. Rookie
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Rwb1500 wrote:I'm off to a wedding tomorrow, I'll probably pocket carry the Sage 1 and slip a clipless Tasman Salt into the jacket, because of its light weight.
Hahaha! I thought I was crazy trying to figure out which knife I was going to carry to the wedding I have to go to today. I'm taking my camo para2 before the wedding and I was trying to decide between my GB, sage 1, and sage 2. I finally decided on the sage 1 myself. I just thought I was crazy laying out my cufflinks, tie(s), and then being like oh yeah...what knife am I going to carry...hahaha
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I think the Kopa range was designed as gentleman's knives but apart from that, many of the new CF, wood inlaid and other special handled knives exude various degrees of elegance and can be considered as gentleman's knives.

Apart from the elegance of the handle, an exotic steel blade will enhance its worth. This is just my opinion. There's much debate over what can be termed as a gentleman's knife (and even on who exactly can be a gentleman) but I think in this specific case, we need to select those elegant knives.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

For me, the kiwi cf and the terzuola are my perfect gentleman folders.
The ukpk in cf is also a good gentleman folder.
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

this is classy to me .
Attachments
L1050329.jpg
L1050329.jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Deacon wrote:Of the standard production Spydercos I own, the original jigged bone Kiwi would be my top choice. Second on my list would be the jigged bone Micro Dyad. Of my customized Kiwis, I'd put this one at the top of the list...
Deacon, all of a sudden I understand your avatar... :)

Currently, my gentlemans folder is a G10 Dragonfly or alox SAK Pioneer. I admit, its a bit of a hole in my collection.

I have considered a Centofante 3 before, but it hasn't happened yet... Maybe a Des Horn, in support of my fellow countryman.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Well, although "classy" might be in the eye of the beholder, I think that in truth there are not too many Spyderco knives that are. To me, classy means elegant and discreet, but obviously with a knife it has to be functional.

The CF Michael Walker, the CF Kiwi, Chaparral, The Air, Kopa (a few of them), UKPK CF or Caly 3 CF...I think are the classiest. Sage 1 and a few other medium sized knives are good too. But IMO g10 (unless polished) is not at all classy, frn definitely not. And too large a knife isn't either. The Valloton for example...great looking knife, but I think too large to be "classy".
JD Spydo

Micarta Dyad Junior

Post by JD Spydo »

My pick for the most classy knife in this category is without a doubt the original C-39 Dyad Jr with the Micarta handle>> That one with the Micarta handle came with the pocketclip. It has really behooved me as to why that knife never became a super-classic.

The MICARTA Dyad Jr is probably the most overlooked small Spyder that will ultimately be a super collector piece some day down the road.

I sure wish they would reintroduce this gem and make it available in an assortment of different handle colors. There were very few of them made and it is probably getting next to impossible to locate one.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!